The Student Room Group

When should I start revising?

GCSEs are less than a month away, and my school isn't great, I still need to finish off controlled assessments and one of them hasn't even been given to me[as well as my class] yet.
That aside the point, I need straight A*/A's , and is it realistic to study the entire 10 subjects/teach myself:
German Edexcel
English Literature AQA
English Language AQA
Biology AQA
Physics AQA
Chemistry AQA
Religious Studies WJEC
History AQA
Maths Edexcel
Computer Science OCR
I did have tuition, but that didn't help me much either so I quit it, my grades in the mocks were way far from my target to say the least,the only A I had achieved was surprisingly Physics, and R.S.
I've got all the resources nonetheless, and I've even made a revision timetable, but I fail to stick to it.

I'm planning to finish all the sciences[as I do triple] within these holidays as well as History,I've been told that my targets are unrealistic, from a teacher and some of my friends ,so I'm debating whether to revise or not, sounds stupid but the more I think about it, the more unrealistic the targets seem to become.
Reply 1
Well I think it's good to have goals in life and if you want to achieve straight As and A*s then you will as long as you revise and work hard. If someone says that your goals are unrealistic then don't listen to them because you have to believe in yourself and your potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zaraamxx
GCSEs are less than a month away, and my school isn't great, I still need to finish off controlled assessments and one of them hasn't even been given to me[as well as my class] yet.
That aside the point, I need straight A*/A's , and is it realistic to study the entire 10 subjects/teach myself:
German Edexcel
English Literature AQA
English Language AQA
Biology AQA
Physics AQA
Chemistry AQA
Religious Studies WJEC
History AQA
Maths Edexcel
Computer Science OCR
I did have tuition, but that didn't help me much either so I quit it, my grades in the mocks were way far from my target to say the least,the only A I had achieved was surprisingly Physics, and R.S.
I've got all the resources nonetheless, and I've even made a revision timetable, but I fail to stick to it.

I'm planning to finish all the sciences[as I do triple] within these holidays as well as History,I've been told that my targets are unrealistic, from a teacher and some of my friends ,so I'm debating whether to revise or not, sounds stupid but the more I think about it, the more unrealistic the targets seem to become.

Definitely revise, don't just give up. Try your hardest and if you don't get straight A*/A you still would have gotten better grades then if you didn't revise.
Reply 3
Original post by Lera3589
Well I think it's good to have goals in life and if you want to achieve straight As and A*s then you will as long as you revise and work hard. If someone says that your goals are unrealistic then don't listen to them because you have to believe in yourself and your potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Want2dowell46
Definitely revise, don't just give up. Try your hardest and if you don't get straight A*/A you still would have gotten better grades then if you didn't revise.

I guess,thankyou. I mean I understand why I didn't do great in the mock exams,as I didn't revise much or hardly did to say the least, but we've got less than a month,and it's not just from school,I get pressured so much at home to attain those grades , especially because we spent terribly so much on tuition and I still ended up having the same ,if not worse grades than I had so before.
Original post by zaraamxx
German Edexcel
English Literature AQA
English Language AQA
Biology AQA
Physics AQA
Chemistry AQA
Religious Studies WJEC
History AQA
Maths Edexcel
Computer Science OCR

Try making a timetable and try sticking to it, I think you need motivation so watch this video it would motivate you :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7csWX28TJg
Reply 5
Try not to fall for the pressure, I know it's easier said than done but if you do it'll get to you; I suggest to find some revising techniques that you enjoy such as mind maps, tables etc as I know revision can be daunting 😅😅 However, you need to believe in yourself and keep your head high because at the end of the day, your work will pay off and you'll do brilliantly in your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by nisha.sri
Try making a timetable and try sticking to it, I think you need motivation so watch this video it would motivate you :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7csWX28TJg

I've made countless timetables but I just struggle to stick to them. I was thinking of reducing my sleep time, so I could have more time to revise. I'll watch the video now,thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Lera3589
Try not to fall for the pressure, I know it's easier said than done but if you do it'll get to you; I suggest to find some revising techniques that you enjoy such as mind maps, tables etc as I know revision can be daunting 😅😅 However, you need to believe in yourself and keep your head high because at the end of the day, your work will pay off and you'll do brilliantly in your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already have, I had done but then my parents said it's a waste of time and I should just remember past papers, the science ones have similar questions up coming every year, but for instance,it wouldn't have it for Maths,I've done so many past papers without learning the actual content, so now I'm trying to teach myself everything but I'm getting increasingly stressed and panicked about the exams and how near they are.
Reply 8
I know it's hard and stressful but you have to try and clear your mind and relax because stress makes everything worse. Just remember that all your hard work will go towards a good university and a good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
am in the same boat as you ,got exams for 8 gcses in less than a month & stil havent finished controlled assessment for 4 subjects ,and i have made countless timetables but havent sticked to them and when i start revsing i relise i have so much to memorise and know so i just give up ..

Quick Reply

Latest