The Student Room Group

GAP is racist!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35968787

This is an example of passive racism in the US.

Scroll to see replies

I didn't see racism in this. I saw a poorly executed ad, but not any racism. Could've been done better to avoid this mess.
Reply 2
Original post by Novascope
I didn't see racism in this. I saw a poorly executed ad, but not any racism. Could've been done better to avoid this mess.

Yeah I didn't either...
I think it's ridiculous to call it racism, especially when you see the other picture where they've staged it the opposite way around in the past. But it's not a great photo set-up. It looks awkward. Maybe they should stop using children's heads as armrests full-stop.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Yeah I didn't either...

The way the white girl is resting on the black girl's head, along with her facial expression does seem a bit off though. But yeah I don't think it's racist.
It makes no sense that a multinational company like Gap would intentionally make a racist advert. It is just poorly thought out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by mscaffrey
I think it's ridiculous to call it racism, especially when you see the other picture where they've staged it the opposite way around in the past. But it's not a great photo set-up. It looks awkward. Maybe they should stop using children's heads as armrests full-stop.

I have seen the other picture, but "The white girl in it looks proud" :rolleyes:

It's pathetic. Making a meal out of nothing.
how is this racist? you are imposing racial politics upon school kids and creating your own non-existent context - there is nothing else that makes it racist. these are innocent kids and you are portraying them as nothing more than a skin colour. if this was a kid with ginger hair leaning on a kid with green eyes, would that imply that somehow ginger kids are superior to kids with green eyes? stop stirring up pointless drama

I originally thought "are they saying that, because the black girl isn't stretching her legs, that she is unable to do gymnastics and therefore less good than the white girls...?" because it was so difficult to see anything wrong with that picture

and by the way, just so you know, this was an older GAP advert - where was the rage?

hypocrisy at its finest. "it's only bad when whitey does it."
(edited 8 years ago)
People will see what they want
I do not get it.
Original post by AlmightyJesus
how is this racist? you are imposing racial politics upon school kids and creating your own non-existent context - there is nothing else that makes it racist. these are innocent kids and you are portraying them as nothing more than a skin colour. if this was a kid with ginger hair leaning on a kid with green eyes, would that imply that somehow ginger kids are superior to kids with green eyes? stop stirring up pointless drama

I originally thought "are they saying that, because the black girl isn't stretching her legs, that she is unable to do gymnastics and therefore less good than the white girls...?" because it was so difficult to see anything wrong with that picture

and by the way, just so you know, this was an older GAP advert - where was the rage?

hypocrisy at its finest :h: "it's only bad when whitey does it."

I actually think this is a ridiculous too. Twitter is a dump.
This is so stupid. I swear that most of the Black Americans look for things like this and say it's racist just to spark arguments and attention. I just hate it. And it's not racist because if you bothered looking down the page a black girl did the exact same thing and no one complained! Argh - this just annoys me.
No I don't think this is passive/ hidden racism. It's just a pose, a badly positioned photograph but that is all there is. I doubt there was any intention behind it.

Here is a very clear example of hidden racism.

[video="youtube;61IMXm3SDGA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IMXm3SDGA[/video]

Nearly all white ladies on the train instantly took side with each other, made out they were better educated ("I work at google plus, SHUT UP") and better dressed ("LOOK AT HER SHOES") than the black lady on the train, they were incredibly disrespectful to her when asking to change seats. That to me is passive racism. Being discriminatory without airing it clearly out in the open.

Ugh that video makes me so angry! :angry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
This is so stupid. I swear that most of the Black Americans look for things like this and say it's racist just to spark arguments and attention. I just hate it. And it's not racist because if you bothered looking down the page a black girl did the exact same thing and no one complained! Argh - this just annoys me.

It is normally white people who call it racist first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMackyTv

I think it's all very stupid too.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is normally white people who call it racist first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Can you please show me? Because after I saw this I assumed it was BLM or some other organisation about black supremacy. They usually complain about stuff like that.
the advert poster looks crap anyway!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No I don't think this is passive/ hidden racism. It's just a pose, a badly positioned photograph but that is all there is. I doubt there was any intention behind it.

Here is a very clear example of hidden racism.

[video="youtube;61IMXm3SDGA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IMXm3SDGA[/video]

Nearly all white ladies on the train instantly took side with each other, made out they were better educated ("I work at google plus, SHUT UP":wink: and better dressed ("LOOK AT HER SHOES":wink: than the black lady on the train, they were incredibly disrespectful to her when asking to change seats. That to me is passive racism. Being discriminatory without airing it clearly out in the open.

Ugh that video makes me so angry! :angry:

I agree. Good for that black girl, so glad she stood up for herself. Talking to her as if she is some sort of peasant, if you want someone to move their bag ask them politely without clicking in their face, that is just rude.
Is it racist? No.
Cognitive bias. People that think this is racist have a mania, and should be treated as such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending