The Student Room Group

options for entry into Dentistry.

I applied for dentistry at Birmingham University, my application was unsuccessful. I would like to inquire if there are any alternatives routes to pursue dentistry, as I am extremely determined to do so. please help
It depends a lot on your circumstances and experience. Some universities offer foundation year courses and there are access courses out there but the entry requirements vary a lot. Have you asked Birmingham for feedback? Was that the only dental school you applied for?
Reply 2
Original post by Amberooney
It depends a lot on your circumstances and experience. Some universities offer foundation year courses and there are access courses out there but the entry requirements vary a lot. Have you asked Birmingham for feedback? Was that the only dental school you applied for?

I only applied to Birmingham university, I did call them and the response that I got from them was to re-apply next year. However I do not want to take a gap year. Do you know which universities offer foundation year courses? as I have been trying to find them but have been unsuccessful so far.
Hi!
Unfortunately, if you have gotten rejected by all of your universities pre-interview for Dentistry, you will have to take a gap year. Gap years are not a bad thing at all - if anything, I know of more people who have gotten in with taking a gap year (with them having done more experience, becoming better at their interview technique(s)) etc.
I know that Manchester do a foundation year and I'm sure that there are at least 2/3 more Universities that do too. But I think the entry requirements vary so do have a check up on those!
Don't be disheartened (easy to say, I know) - but use this as a motivation to become even better for next time
Hi, I've got 5 Bs in English lit, maths, biology, chemistry and Spanish and 4 Cs in physics, history, English lang and music for GCSE. I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and biology for A level with and extended project with predicted grades of As.

I know that my GCSEs are extremely low but is there anything I can do to take the attention off them when I apply? I've got 6 weeks worth of work experience and I've done voluntary work in Uganda twice teaching about dental care and actually giving dental care to civilians while abroad (with the observation of a qualified dentist of course). And I'm going a third time soon too. I also do voluntary work in a dental hospital once a week too.

I've done everything I could think of to make me stand out but I don't think it's enough, please help me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misshollyhughes
Hi, I've got 5 Bs in English lit, maths, biology, chemistry and Spanish and 4 Cs in physics, history, English lang and music for GCSE. I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and biology for A level with and extended project with predicted grades of As.

I know that my GCSEs are extremely low but is there anything I can do to take the attention off them when I apply? I've got 6 weeks worth of work experience and I've done voluntary work in Uganda twice teaching about dental care and actually giving dental care to civilians while abroad (with the observation of a qualified dentist of course). And I'm going a third time soon too. I also do voluntary work in a dental hospital once a week too.

I've done everything I could think of to make me stand out but I don't think it's enough, please help me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! :smile:
I'm going to be brutally honest - many of the Dental schools in the UK require you to have a certain number of As/A*s at GCSE (bearing in mind that it is very competitive)
Regardless of how much W/E you have, the first stage of the application process is to disregard any applicants who do not meet the basic requirements (eg 6A's at GCSE)
HOWEVER, there are some Dental schools (such as Leeds) who do NOT require you to have any set number of As/A*s so I think it might be worth looking into the Universities who do this
After finding the Universities that don't really look at your GCSE's, look into specifically what each University likes an applicant to do (in regards to W/E) etc and then you can tailor your application to them (for example, some Universities really like it if you have a good example(s) of manual dexterity whereas others do not put that much emphasis on it)
Remember, it's not all about W/E etc, they want to see that you're able to have 'fun' too and take some time out doing things that you enjoy and things that help you de-stress. Keep in mind that every applicant can do 2939293 weeks of W/E but only those that do different, more personal things, are the ones that stand out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by biologyworm
Hi!
Unfortunately, if you have gotten rejected by all of your universities pre-interview for Dentistry, you will have to take a gap year. Gap years are not a bad thing at all - if anything, I know of more people who have gotten in with taking a gap year (with them having done more experience, becoming better at their interview technique(s)) etc.
I know that Manchester do a foundation year and I'm sure that there are at least 2/3 more Universities that do too. But I think the entry requirements vary so do have a check up on those!
Don't be disheartened (easy to say, I know) - but use this as a motivation to become even better for next time

thank you for your reply, Taking a gap year isn't viable option for me. If all else fails then I may just apply to universities abroad. Do you know of any alternative courses that allow you to change to Dentistry after your first year?
Original post by .Xenon.
thank you for your reply, Taking a gap year isn't viable option for me. If all else fails then I may just apply to universities abroad. Do you know of any alternative courses that allow you to change to Dentistry after your first year?

I don't think there are any courses that let you do that, but I might be wrong
Reply 8
Original post by .Xenon.

Newcastle university allow you to switch to dentistry if you do biomed when I went for a dentistry lecture there was a boy who had transferred however out of his whole biomed class he was the only one - very competitive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest