The Student Room Group

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ

I didn't say remove the toilets - I said rebadging cubicle only toilets as unisex would suit most people. It's down to individual schools to decide what balance works best for them and whether there is a need to preserve gender segregated toilets.

How does a gender segregated bathroom keep you safe:confused:?

If we're going with the old ''it's only a badge, why are you complaining''

Why are we even having this discussion? :rofl:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
We're not talking about "changing uniform policy" so don't try that manipulative argument winning tactic with me.

We're talking about "altering changing rooms, toilets + uniforms" not just uniforms.

Okay so you're telling me that bringing in changes to toilets, changing rooms and uniforms is not going to cost money? Seriously?

Imagine how many schools there are, for every single school to impliment these, even in the most cost efficient way (which usually equates to least time efficient, or just not very useful) will cost millions to sort all the schools out. If you genuinely think them millions are better spent getting extra special toilets in every single school for the tiny minority of people than for example improving health services then you're clearly not open to a logical argument.

When you were a teenager did you enjoy using communal changing rooms? Did you have privacy in the showers or where they communal? Was everyone comfortable with nudity in an open communal space even with just their own gender?

Would you have preferred cubicles?

Noone is suggesting an instant investment of millions to refit every school now. But considering these issues and the fact that teenagers in general are quite body conscious and so providing greater levels of privacy in changing areas and toilets would benefit all pupils when making decisions about changing rooms and toilets could potentially improve school life for everyone.
Original post by Wewuz Hebrews
If we're going with the old ''it's only a badge, why are you complaining''

Why are we even having this discussion? :rofl:

Because while the badge doesn't provide "safety" it also provides a mechanism for punishment and exclusion and bullying if schools don't consider what their policy and attitude is for trans pupils.
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Imagine how many schools there are, for every single school to impliment these, even in the most cost efficient way (which usually equates to least time efficient, or just not very useful) will cost millions to sort all the schools out. If you genuinely think them millions are better spent getting extra special toilets in every single school for the tiny minority of people than for example improving health services then you're clearly not open to a logical argument.

I'm not too concerned about the cost, we have billions of pounds worth of tax avoided yearly so it's a huge issue. If they were going to build a new toilette which is unisex in addition to what we have it would be fine

For me the issue is forcing literally millions of people into sharing facilities which could be awkward or embarrassing to satisfy the phony-baloney outrage of a bunch of ivory tower liberals and people who have a very loud special interest group behind them.
Original post by PQ
Because while the badge doesn't provide "safety" it also provides a mechanism for punishment and exclusion and bullying if schools don't consider what their policy and attitude is for trans pupils.

In changing rooms, it quite clearly does provide safety. :facepalm2:
Original post by Oilfreak1

Spoiler

JUST WATCHED THAT EPISODE LAST WEEK! HILARIOUS!

To be honest, students should be to young to even be thinking about stuff like that. No, I don't think there should be bathrooms for people who aren't cis-gender.
So I can just say i identify as a girl and I get to go perv on the girls in their changing room?? Awesome.
In changing rooms, it quite clearly does provide safety. :facepalm2:

Really?

All those public sports centres with family changing rooms or all unisex changing areas are unsafe?
Original post by PQ
When you were a teenager did you enjoy using communal changing rooms? Did you have privacy in the showers or where they communal? Was everyone comfortable with nudity in an open communal space even with just their own gender?

Would you have preferred cubicles?

Noone is suggesting an instant investment of millions to refit every school now. But considering these issues and the fact that teenagers in general are quite body conscious and so providing greater levels of privacy in changing areas and toilets would benefit all pupils when making decisions about changing rooms and toilets could potentially improve school life for everyone.

Did I enjoy using communal changing room? No because I was overweight, but that was my own goddamn problem not the governments. I'm happy there are ways for people to feel bad about being fat, otherwise I would've never done anything about it.
We had communal showers, but nobody ever showered completely nude at school so I don't see the point in changing that.
What's the point of a cubical? Beyond wasting space I don't see how they change anything.

But why do we have to invest into making people less self concious? That isn't going to change anything. Just sounds like some sort of governmeny party media campaign to get people on their side "oh we care about people vote for us"

If it could happen at an instant, with no costs, monetary or otherwise, then sure why not. I don't see it harming anyone. But in life you have to balance the pros and cons. The pros are that people may be less embarrased by their bodies (is that really a good thing?) and the cons are all the costs involved in implementing the change. I just don't see how it's worth the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lets be serious
So I can just say i identify as a girl and I get to go perv on the girls in their changing room?? Awesome.

I think that usually people use the bathrooms of the gender they are presenting as.

So it is quite a lot of effort to live your life as a girl the whole time you are at school for the sole purpose of "perving" on the girls.
Original post by PQ
Really?

All those public sports centres with family changing rooms or all unisex changing areas are unsafe?

My local sports centre is gender separate.

I have no idea what you're talking about, like I said I would happily have an extra area which is gender neutral, good for families if daddy takes his daughter swimming, good for people who are trans, but if this is done cheaply, i.e. take the badges off the doors rather than build a new room in addition to the existing rooms, it will put people at risk and it's a complete joke that many people can be put at risk through a mixture of liberal idiocy and capitalist frugality.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think that usually people use the bathrooms of the gender they are presenting as.

So it is quite a lot of effort to live your life as a girl the whole time you are at school for the sole purpose of "perving" on the girls.

I would have been prepared to put that effort in a few years ago.
What about Muslims and Orthodox Jews.

Forcing people to be in mixed areas whilst getting changed is forbidden, why must we cater to the needs of trans people but not religious minorities?
Original post by Lets be serious
I would have been prepared to put that effort in a few years ago.

I always like to think your bizarre trolls have a serious meaning.

Even if 90% of people use the system the right way, if 10% don't that's still worse than what we current have.
I always like to think your bizarre trolls have a serious meaning.

Even if 90% of people use the system the right way, if 10% don't that's still worse than what we current have.

I hate being serious on the internet, it's so boring.
Reply 55
Just make it so that a psychiatrist has to diagnose them with gender dysphoria and then let them go into the bathrooms they identify as, if you just use some common sense then the South Park problem can be avoided if you push the pc agenda and give them what they want that policy would be abused.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Maybe gay men and lesbians should be excluded from communal changing areas too :rolleyes:
I think that having unisex toilets is fine, it is not needed but it wouldn't hurt.
but changing rooms? I mean why. you are going to have to use a male of female one and if you are worried that people will look at you funny just either shrug it off or get changed in the toilets.
spending money for such a small minority would not be efficient
Original post by PQ
Maybe gay men and lesbians should be excluded from communal changing areas too :rolleyes:

What about bisexual people? :eek3:
Original post by PQ
why?

What school have you been to that only has a single set of toilets for the pupils?

Even my tiny primary school of 180 pupils had 6 sets of toilets (3 male, 3 female) - and that was in an old victorian building.

no, you're missing the point - if there is any number of gender-toilet pairs, then there will need to be another single toilet room (gender-neutral) to match in order to make it fair, surely? or if not, they will inevitably, still, need to create one more room, or take away the room of another gender

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending