The Student Room Group

For Sikhs or Punjabis and Hindus;

Do you think a relationship between a Gujarati male and Punjabi female would work in terms of marriage?
We are both not extremely religious for example; her family (Sikhs) dont wear turbans and cut their hair. I'm a Hindu myself and I follow my religion's rules but dont take it extremely seriously and she feels the same way.
I have also seen/heard sometimes both sides dont like each other if they are very religiously strict EVEN though historically we were all the same people and religion (Gujarat and Punjab are close to each other geographically)

In this increasingly modern society do you think, both family sides would cooperate if we were to get married?

If I said something incorrect about Sikhs I'm sorry, please correct me
I also want to learn Sikh rules and terms of marriage, so please do reply!
I found this online not sure if its correct though;
"Some Hindu families brought up a son as a Sikh, and some Hindus view Sikhism as a tradition within Hinduism, even though the Sikh faith is a distinct religion. Dogra states that there has always been inter-marriage between the Hindu and the Sikh communities."
"Guru Nanak's parents were both Hindus and belonged to the merchant caste"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey there!

I can't be sure if it would work as I don't know the people or their families. It could, and maybe it will but it also could be the opposite. My only advice is, talk to your parents about this as they might be able to help you more than anyone else here.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think a relationship between a Gujarati male and Punjabi female would work in terms of marriage?
We are both not extremely religious for example; her family (Sikhs) dont wear turbans and cut their hair. I'm a Hindu myself and I follow my religion's rules but dont take it extremely seriously and she feels the same way.
I have also seen/heard sometimes both sides dont like each other if they are very religiously strict EVEN though historically we were all the same people and religion (Gujarat and Punjab are close to each other geographically)

In this increasingly modern society do you think, both family sides would cooperate if we were to get married?

"Some Hindu families brought up a son as a Sikh, and some Hindus view Sikhism as a tradition within Hinduism, even though the Sikh faith is a distinct religion. Dogra states that there has always been inter-marriage between the Hindu and the Sikh communities."

My parents are't orthodox sikhs but would kill me if i were to be with a non-sikh.
Sikhs are very finnicky about who they marry, even modern sikh parents want a sikh for their children. I'm muslim so we're pretty strict with who can marry who but we got nothing on sikhs.
Reply 4
just get married lol
No I don't think it would tbh
To have a valid anand karaj you both need to be Sikh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

We may be the same people, but we are of very different religions.

Correct, some hindus did do that.

Inter faith marriages have never been acceptable - and never will be.

Correct, his parents were, but he disregarded caste and the hindu practices.

You guys can get do what you want, if you are happy, and your parents are happy. However you can not have a sikh wedding ceremony 'Anand Karaj', as this is a very auspicious sikh ceremony, which can only be partaken by to two sikhs.be extremely disrespectful for a non sikh to be involved in this ceremony.
Reply 7
Original post by TheALevelStudent
We may be the same people, but we are of very different religions.

Correct, some hindus did do that.

Inter faith marriages have never been acceptable - and never will be.

Correct, his parents were, but he disregarded caste and the hindu practices.

You guys can get do what you want, if you are happy, and your parents are happy. However you can not have a sikh wedding ceremony 'Anand Karaj', as this is a very auspicious sikh ceremony, which can only be partaken by to two sikhs.be extremely disrespectful for a non sikh to be involved in this ceremony.

Im not OP but just curious and wanted to clarify something So are you saying that under their religions they can get married but not have the Sikh Anand Karaj ceremony or do their religions not allow them to get married whatsoever?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by YungRilt
Im not OP but just curious and wanted to clarify something So are you saying that under their religions they can get married but not have the Sikh Anand Karaj ceremony or do their religions not allow them to get married whatsoever?

The Hindu religion would allow them to get married with the only restriction being that neither of them were forced or blackmailed into converting to each other's faith.
However, from the Sikh side, an Anand Karaj ceremony would technically not be allowed unless both bride and groom were Sikh.
Reply 9
Original post by nucdev
The Hindu religion would allow them to get married with the only restriction being that neither of them were forced or blackmailed into converting to each other's faith.
However, from the Sikh side, an Anand Karaj ceremony would technically not be allowed unless both bride and groom were Sikh.

I understand Anand Karaj isnt allowed
but what about for example a state marriage or hindu vivaah ceremony would that go against the rules of Sikhism?

Sikh perspective: If the individual getting married was truly a sikh, they would know themselves the importance of marriage within sikhi, and thus would not marry out of religion.

I understand Anand Karaj isnt allowed
but what about for example a state marriage or hindu vivaah ceremony would that go against the rules of Sikhism?

You can't stop someone from doing what they want. But marrying a non sikh would not align with sikhi. Therefore someone that marrys out of sikhi, is technically not a sikh, as theyhavent followed the teachings, although they may still practise sikhi etc etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, Gujaratis/Hindus and Punjabis/Sikhs get married all the time. I've been to a few of those weddings, myself. Obviously, it depends on the individual families but they would have to be especially backwards to still be opposed to this if they aren't even religious.

Original post by Oilfreak1
Sikhs are very finnicky about who they marry, even modern sikh parents want a sikh for their children. I'm muslim so we're pretty strict with who can marry who but we got nothing on sikhs.

Stop stirring up ****. Sikhs are more liberal about social issues than Muslims.

Original post by TheALevelStudent
Sikh perspective: If the individual getting married was truly a sikh, they would know themselves the importance of marriage within sikhi, and thus would not marry out of religion.You can't stop someone from doing what they want. But marrying a non sikh would not align with sikhi. Therefore someone that marrys out of sikhi, is technically not a sikh, as theyhavent followed the teachings, although they may still practise sikhi etc etc

They don't care as they aren't strictly religious.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm a Punjabi Hindu and my cousin is the same and is marrying a Punjabi Sikh, both of the families are supportive, however there are the elders that don't specifically like it because of the caste system and just the idea that you should marry someone that is the same as you in terms of where they are from, etc. I think in terms of belief it will be able to work as there's nothing that Sikhs and Hindus massively disagree on as long as you are both willing to make it work. We come from a generation that ignites change and should strive for what makes you happy! It might be complicated in terms of different practises being performed in the Mandir and Gurdwara so maybe look into if the ceremonies would work on both sides if you were to get married as that would gain the respect of both sides of the families.
Original post by dairychocolate
Yes, Gujaratis/Hindus and Punjabis/Sikhs get married all the time. I've been to a few of those weddings, myself. Obviously, it depends on the individual families but they would have to be especially backwards to still be opposed to this if they aren't even religious.

Stop stirring up ****. Sikhs are more liberal about social issues than Muslims.

They don't care as they aren't strictly religious.

I don't care if they get married or not, they can do as they please. Just as long as it's not an anand Karaj there isn't any problems. As the anand Karaj is specifically and exclusively for Sikhs only.
Doubt it, the women are starting to agitate to be treated the same as their brothers so would probs demand it and their husk of a father would back down. You are probably in with a shot
Reply 15
maybe
If neither of you are hardcore religious, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you're thinking of cultural differences, they really aren't that big between Gujus/Punjabis or Hindus/Sikhs.
Reply 17
Original post by Zargabaath
If neither of you are hardcore religious, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you're thinking of cultural differences, they really aren't that big between Gujus/Punjabis or Hindus/Sikhs.

Apart from the fact that Punjabis are LOUUUUD :rofl:
Original post by nucdev
Apart from the fact that Punjabis are LOUUUUD :rofl:

lmaoooo you're going to trigger someone with that comment :rofl:

I suppose there's a difference in alcohol intake between Gujus and Punjabis as well, if you get what I mean :lol:
Original post by nucdev

Wait, so Hindu people can marry people of a different faith?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending