The Student Room Group

Applying to GEM with a non science degree

Hey guys, hope you're all good!

So, I plan to apply for Medical school 16/17 entry. However, I dont have a scientific background. Before I elaborate, I'll outline my academic experiences and my work experiences.

Academic Background(s)
-So for GCSE I gained 4 A's, 4 B's and a C (A for both English Language and Maths).
- For Alevel I studied Literature, History and Music and achieved ABC respectively. I also obtained a C for AS Level Maths
- I currently study Literature at Queen Mary, University of London

Work Experience(s):
- I looked after disabled children in France
- I was a reading assistant in a local secondary school
- I volunteer in homeless shelters and soup kitchens regularly
- I teach the elderly guitar
- I currently work as a volunteer care assistant at UCLH three hours a week
Work experience in a Hospice
- Volunteer work in a Panda Conservation centre in China

I understand that the application process to post graduate medicine works differently. I am aware that I'll have to look at preparing for GAMSAT and UKCAT. Because I am studying an arts degree, my options are limited. The universities I can only apply for are:

- St George's (my first choice)
- Southampton
- Cambridge
- Peninsula
- UEA
- Nottingham

If there are other universities I'm eligible for please do list them!

I am aware of the fierce competition and was wondering if I have a good chance of getting in. Am I too ambitious or should I look into applying for a health care related job and apply for medicine through that? I'm borderline 2:1/2:2 right now and I am currently in my second year of uni. Of course I am working my ass off to make sure I don't fall into 2:2. I'm ready for critical feedback and open to any opinions.

Best.
Original post by Aba Yums
Hey guys, hope you're all good!

So, I plan to apply for Medical school 16/17 entry. However, I dont have a scientific background. Before I elaborate, I'll outline my academic experiences and my work experiences.

Academic Background(s)
-So for GCSE I gained 4 A's, 4 B's and a C (A for both English Language and Maths).
- For Alevel I studied Literature, History and Music and achieved ABC respectively. I also obtained a C for AS Level Maths
- I currently study Literature at Queen Mary, University of London

Work Experience(s):
- I looked after disabled children in France
- I was a reading assistant in a local secondary school
- I volunteer in homeless shelters and soup kitchens regularly
- I teach the elderly guitar
- I currently work as a volunteer care assistant at UCLH three hours a week
Work experience in a Hospice
- Volunteer work in a Panda Conservation centre in China

I understand that the application process to post graduate medicine works differently. I am aware that I'll have to look at preparing for GAMSAT and UKCAT. Because I am studying an arts degree, my options are limited. The universities I can only apply for are:

- Southampton
- Cambridge
- Peninsula
- UEA
- Nottingham

If there are other universities I'm eligible for please do list them!

I am aware of the fierce competition and was wondering if I have a good chance of getting in. Am I too ambitious or should I look into applying for a health care related job and apply for medicine through that? I'm borderline 2:1/2:2 right now and I am currently in my second year of uni. Of course I am working my ass off to make sure I don't fall into 2:2. I'm ready for critical feedback and open to any opinions.

Best.

Avoid Cambridge. You realistically still need AAA at a-level.

You do realise 5 year courses wouldn't be funded?

Have you looked at Warwick?

You really need to get at least a 2:1. So for now focus on bringing up your grades to at least that. If you get a 2:1 and ace the UKCAT/GAMSAT then you stand as good a chance as anyone.
Reply 2

- Southampton
- Cambridge
- Peninsula
- UEA
- Nottingham

Exeter/Plymouth (Peninsula) and UEA are 5 year courses, which aren't funded by student finance. If you don't need the funding and don't mind doing a 5 year course, you could also apply to Newcastle, Durham and Leicester.

I got into St George's GEM this year, any questions drop me a PM. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Avoid Cambridge. You realistically still need AAA at a-level.

You do realise 5 year courses wouldn't be funded?

Have you looked at Warwick?

You really need to get at least a 2:1. So for now focus on bringing up your grades to at least that. If you get a 2:1 and ace the UKCAT/GAMSAT then you stand as good a chance as anyone.

Many thanks for the reply and yes I am aware of the cost. And I was not aware of Warwick, I'll look into them now! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by liam__
Exeter/Plymouth (Peninsula) and UEA are 5 year courses, which aren't funded by student finance. If you don't need the funding and don't mind doing a 5 year course, you could also apply to Newcastle, Durham and Leicester.

I got into St George's GEM this year, any questions drop me a PM. :smile:

Well I haven't really looked into financing in depth but I'm basing my application on the fact that I'm an arts undergraduate so the four year course may not be applicable to me?

And Omgosh, yes I'll definitely be sending you a message at some point if you're okay with it? :smile:
Reply 5
Well I haven't really looked into financing in depth but I'm basing my application on the fact that I'm an arts undergraduate so the four year course may not be applicable to me?

And Omgosh, yes I'll definitely be sending you a message at some point if you're okay with it? :smile:

Some 4 year courses don't care what your degree is in (such as the ones you mentioned; Georges, Warwick, Notts, Swansea etc). And yeah sure no probs.
For those universities that don't require the science degree, make sure you study and get a good mark in the entrance exam and also show some relevant voluntary work and whatnot.
I'm applying for the 2017 cycle too! In regards to Cambridge - focus on your 2:1 minimum. Then, if you use one of your choices as Cambridge and do well in the BMAT, who knows? Don't be scared by the reputation. If you don't get in, you have another 3 options. And always the year after. I'm in a similar boat with Oxford. If I give it a go, you should too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending