The Student Room Group

Having trouble with English literature revision. Urgent help needed!

So I the texts I am studying are Of mice and men, Blood brothers and A Christmas carol. English is one of my weakest subjects due to the lack of interest I have in it. And today I started my first revision session on Of mice and men; but I had no clue on how to revise it.

I've looked at past paper questions to see if I can get an idea of what questions they ask but the possibilities are just endless which is why I am finding it difficult. They could ask anything and if I happen to of not covered that then I'm screwed. So is there any efficient + effective way to revise to ensure I secure my self at least an A in the exams?
Check out the Youtubers MrBruff and Dominic Salles for OMAM. They are amazing and because of them, I got an A for English literature GCSE.
Original post by TarotOfMagic
Check out the Youtubers MrBruff and Dominic Salles for OMAM. They are amazing and because of them, I got an A for English literature GCSE.

Tank you for these resources :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TarotOfMagic

I second this :smile: There are also some really good OMAM notes on https://getrevising.co.uk/
Hey, I'm going to do English at uni and got A* in Lit GCSE. I was getting Bs till about April, the biggest change came when I began to read A* essays because it meant I knew how I was supposed to think. It's important to be an indeoendent thinker in English, but looking st this is so helpful because it gives you an introduction to the key themes in a text and the general way English is approached. Ask your teacher to give you essays which have got A*s so you can see what you need to do.

In terms of the best notes I could find for OMAM, check this blog http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/all-novels-plays-and-poems.html
A* notes!

Also, once you've read the text once, use Shmoop for quotes. They'll give you all the key quotes for character, chapter theme etc. Remember to shorten them so they can be embedded and you remember them easily. Reading the text and noting quotes which resonate with you is ideal, but if you're just doing it for an A/A* then this is definitely not necessary.

Also, they can ask you anything, but you have a lot of freedom in what you can say, so you can use ideas from practice essays and the structure should fall into place.

The efficient thing to do is to look at paper questions, then start writing essays on them. Get quotes, use the internet if you have to, and just start attacking it. Key things to keep in mind: GCSE is all about language analysis. Don't reiterate plot, just get a quote which relates to a theme and say what it could link to. An AMAZING thing to do is to comment on plosives( b,p,d,t heavy, drum, brash sounds), fricatives, ( f sounds), sibilants( s sounds) and liquids( l) sounds as this means you're analysing language at the same time as using technical vocab. So words like Flying, floating, fluttering, flitting, are a mixture of f and l sounds, they give the words an airy, elegant feeling.

OMAM main themes I can think of are probably kindness, friendship, American Dream etc. so that would be a good place to start. I know it seems endless, but they usually ask about a really key theme or ask you to pick a key scene. Let me know if you need any help.
Original post by AnkitKapoor
Hey, I'm going to do English at uni and got A* in Lit GCSE. I was getting Bs till about April, the biggest change came when I began to read A* essays because it meant I knew how I was supposed to think. It's important to be an indeoendent thinker in English, but looking st this is so helpful because it gives you an introduction to the key themes in a text and the general way English is approached. Ask your teacher to give you essays which have got A*s so you can see what you need to do.

In terms of the best notes I could find for OMAM, check this blog http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/all-novels-plays-and-poems.html
A* notes!

Also, once you've read the text once, use Shmoop for quotes. They'll give you all the key quotes for character, chapter theme etc. Remember to shorten them so they can be embedded and you remember them easily. Reading the text and noting quotes which resonate with you is ideal, but if you're just doing it for an A/A* then this is definitely not necessary.

Also, they can ask you anything, but you have a lot of freedom in what you can say, so you can use ideas from practice essays and the structure should fall into place.

The efficient thing to do is to look at paper questions, then start writing essays on them. Get quotes, use the internet if you have to, and just start attacking it. Key things to keep in mind: GCSE is all about language analysis. Don't reiterate plot, just get a quote which relates to a theme and say what it could link to. An AMAZING thing to do is to comment on plosives( b,p,d,t heavy, drum, brash sounds), fricatives, ( f sounds), sibilants( s sounds) and liquids( l) sounds as this means you're analysing language at the same time as using technical vocab. So words like Flying, floating, fluttering, flitting, are a mixture of f and l sounds, they give the words an airy, elegant feeling.

OMAM main themes I can think of are probably kindness, friendship, American Dream etc. so that would be a good place to start. I know it seems endless, but they usually ask about a really key theme or ask you to pick a key scene. Let me know if you need any help.

Thank you so much! This has definitely helped me!
Original post by luciie
I second this :smile: There are also some really good OMAM notes on https://getrevising.co.uk/

Excellent revision notes on here! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
How do you answer an extract question and which question is easier to answer an extract question or an essay based question also do u know a good website wiv a* essays

A* notes!

Original post by saba_09
How do you answer an extract question and which question is easier to answer an extract question or an essay based question also do u know a good website wiv a* essays

What level are you at, GCSE, A Level? board? The website I linked has examples of A* essays GCSE and A Level. What texts are you looking at?

In terms of extract vs text, it massively depends on you. If there's a question about books which you know about you can analyse it well. You'd normally look at broader themes within the novel, in addition tonhavingnto generate a structure.

If you're doing an extract question, and there is only one extract I find it easier because I don't need to think at all about structure of the essay I just talk about how the extract changes,start at the beggining and go throughout.

It depends on the extract and your level of study in reference to how to answer an extract question so please give me more information.
Reply 9
Im doing english literature gcse my exam board is ocr and the books im studying is mice of men, a view from the bridge and animal farm
What level are you at, GCSE, A Level? board? The website I linked has examples of A* essays GCSE and A Level. What texts are you looking at?

In terms of extract vs text, it massively depends on you. If there's a question about books which you know about you can analyse it well. You'd normally look at broader themes within the novel, in addition tonhavingnto generate a structure.

If you're doing an extract question, and there is only one extract I find it easier because I don't need to think at all about structure of the essay I just talk about how the extract changes,start at the beggining and go throughout.

It depends on the extract and your level of study in reference to how to answer an extract question so please give me more information.
Original post by saba_09
Im doing english literature gcse my exam board is ocr and the books im studying is mice of men, a view from the bridge and animal farm

Check out the blog I sent you, has notes on all.

What are the extract questions like?

Do you get any poetry?
Reply 11
Yh im doing carol ann duffy but i dont know which one of her poems will comes up the extract questions are normally about how the author makes the scene dramatic and significant,
Facisnating and revealing, powerful and disturbing, powerful amd significant, powerful
Check out the blog I sent you, has notes on all.

What are the extract questions like?

Do you get any poetry?
Original post by saba_09
Yh im doing carol ann duffy but i dont know which one of her poems will comes up the extract questions are normally about how the author makes the scene dramatic and significant,
Facisnating and revealing, powerful and disturbing, powerful amd significant, powerful

What grade are you aiming for?
Reply 13
Well i'm at a grade B but i would like to get an A
What grade are you aiming for?

Quick Reply

Latest