The Student Room Group

I think my manager fancies me

I’m 17 and just recently got a job at x. I’m the youngest one there so when I first started working I was a bit uneasy but also very excited because I know some of my friends who went through the application process and got rejected (I feel retail stores are so reluctant to give jobs to young people who don’t actually have any experience)

Anyways, my manager who is 39 has been extremely unusually kind to me ever since I joined. He’s never actually attempted to touch me inappropriately (maybe just a stroke on the shoulder here and there) but I’m starting to think he’s being more than nice. Idk how to describe it he just notices me more than everyone else.

At first I thought he was just trying to make me feel more comfortable and was treating me like a bit of a daughter figure and I didn’t mind because he’s extremely attractive (he’s off the scale not even joking) but now I think it’s more than that

Part of me isn’t bothered the fact that he seems to be flirting with me but part of me knows it’s kind of illegal
I really don’t know if I’m just overthinking it
I don’t know who else to speak to about this
I don't even know what I'm asking
I just keep thinking about him and I don't know what I should do (if I even should be doing anything about this)
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 17 and just recently got a job at x. I’m the youngest one there so when I first started working I was a bit uneasy but also very excited because I know some of my friends who went through the application process and got rejected (I feel retail stores are so reluctant to give jobs to young people who don’t actually have any experience)

Anyways, my manager who is 39 has been extremely unusually kind to me ever since I joined. He’s never actually attempted to touch me inappropriately (maybe just a stroke on the shoulder here and there) but I’m starting to think he’s being more than nice. Idk how to describe it he just notices me more than everyone else.

At first I thought he was just trying to make me feel more comfortable and was treating me like a bit of a daughter figure and I didn’t mind because he’s extremely attractive (he’s off the scale not even joking) but now I think it’s more than that

Part of me isn’t bothered the fact that he seems to be flirting with me but part of me knows it’s kind of illegal
I just keep thinking about him and I don't know what I should do (if I even should be doing anything about this)

A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago
I also got a job at a retail store and found that my manager was a bit ‘too nice’

It was little things like him not being too upset with me coming to work late/wearing the incorrect uniform, he would always ask me how my studies were going and would let me use his office to revise, buying me lunch etc
I really struggle to read people so I thought he was just being kind and didn’t see too much into it until the day he offered me a ride home (it was dark so fairly understandable)
Bottom line is, even if he was just being ‘nice’ he is fully aware of what position he is in (not to mention the age difference) and should know that ‘paying more attention to you compared to others’ whatever you mean by that - is inappropriate.

I’m no longer working there now, I only really wanted to apply for interview experience anyways.
If it’s making you feel uncomfortable in any way I think you should definitely leave the job.
Reply 2
Sometimes really good looking guys are naturally flirty to women. It might just be how he is, especially if you're attractive they tend to be nicer. I don't think you should read too much into it now but if he becomes inappropriate through saying disgusting things, touching etc you should tell somebody or if you feel uncomfortable already maybe just leave if you can afford to or start looking for another job?
Reply 3

But i don't know if i feel uncomfortable about it or not, he's really good looking aswell which makes it harder
People at work say that he flirts with everyone and all the old ladies who work there think he's incredibly charming
Did you tell your manager that you felt uncomfortable?
But i don't know if i feel uncomfortable about it or not, he's really good looking aswell which makes it harder
People at work say that he flirts with everyone and all the old ladies who work there think he's incredibly charming

Well then maybe he is just a flirt and you're reading too much into it. Why not just ask him directly if he really does fancy you?
And no, I didn't tell my manager, I just left (maybe he didn't mean it in the way I interpreted it but either way I still didn't feel comfortable in the environment I was in - having a relationship like that with a man who was more than twice my age and my manager wouldn't be sensible)
Reply 5
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago
I also got a job at a retail store and found that my manager was a bit ‘too nice’

It was little things like him not being too upset with me coming to work late/wearing the incorrect uniform, he would always ask me how my studies were going and would let me use his office to revise, buying me lunch etc
I really struggle to read people so I thought he was just being kind and didn’t see too much into it until the day he offered me a ride home (it was dark so fairly understandable)
Bottom line is, even if he was just being ‘nice’ he is fully aware of what position he is in (not to mention the age difference) and should know that ‘paying more attention to you compared to others’ whatever you mean by that - is inappropriate.

I’m no longer working there now, I only really wanted to apply for interview experience anyways.
If it’s making you feel uncomfortable in any way I think you should definitely leave the job.

Just to point out, it's not even remotely illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shorty94
Just to point out, it's not even remotely illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure?
Are you sure?

Yes. It's not like teachers where they have a duty of care. Also, you're over 16, the legal age of consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending