The Student Room Group

Does being attractive contribute to popularity?

I'm asking this question because I feel like I only have one true friend.

With my other friends, they never seem to invite me out anywhere (they're all really attractive.) Like they'll act all nice when we're out together, but then they say we'll do things, which don't pan out unless I ask them. For instance, me and these three other girls used to go out together. One of them said she was going to arrange a reunion with us (I knew in the back of my head that I wouldn't be invited, I haven't been invited to several things,) but it still hurt when I saw pictures of them last night, without me. I never got an invite, not like I'm surprised.

I think this is because I'm very ugly compared to them, and I'm not confident, like them, even though I was a part of the 'original group.' I feel like they don't see me as an equal because of my ugliness.

I'm moving away soon, but my nightmare is just going to continue because it's not like I can stop being ugly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep. Worlds full of talentless girls who get by only being attractive, only takes a few guys hoping they get lucky to make her life ok.
Reply 2
By the way, this isn't technically about romantic relationships. I mean overall relationships and popularity, like friendship groups, etc.
If you're the ugly one in a popular group it's incumbent on you to make up for that by being funny, or at least fun.

You yourself say that you're not confident and the low self-esteem would indicate that you're not much fun either.

Work on those things and you'll start getting invited to stuff.

Or join a group of similarly unattractive folk.

You have options
Nope not necessarily. This isn't an american high school movie.

I remember during my school and college days there were many popular people who weren't attractive. They just had awesome personalities.
Of course, the popular people in school are always the good looking ones, and the ones who get bullied are mostly average looking or ugly, which is why it's always such ******** when you have films like the Carrie remake where the main character gets bullied a ton yet they look like a model.

Although it does seem a bit different with girls, it seems like sometimes girls who're attractive are bullied by other girls because of jealousy or whatever, but guys would generally not bully attractive girls (because they're attracted to them), whereas guys are bullied based on how masculine they appear or whatever (which generally correlates to attractiveness).

Edit: actually yeah, what @Novascope said is also sometimes true, occasionally average looking people are popular because they have great personalities, but imo most of the time the popular people are the attractive + confident ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah - still happens. Take the Kardashians for example
Original post by Anonymous
I'm asking this question because I feel like I only have one true friend.

With my other friends, they never seem to invite me out anywhere (they're all really attractive.) Like they'll act all nice when we're out together, but then they say we'll do things, which don't pan out unless I ask them. For instance, me and these three other girls used to go out together. One of them said she was going to arrange a reunion with us (I knew in the back of my head that I wouldn't be invited, I haven't been invited to several things,) but it still hurt when I saw pictures of them last night, without me. I never got an invite, not like I'm surprised.

I think this is because I'm very ugly compared to them, and I'm not confident, like them, even though I was a part of the 'original group.' I feel like they don't see me as an equal because of my ugliness.

I'm moving away soon, but my nightmare is just going to continue because it's not like I can stop being ugly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

plastic surgery is always an option....

Original post by Virgili
Yep. Worlds full of talentless girls who get by only being attractive, only takes a few guys hoping they get lucky to make her life ok.

Original post by samina_ay

making stupid ppl famous
Reply 8

Eww they're not even attractive though, fake, fake, fake
Not necessarily, if you are a funny person you could be even more popular than an attractive person. It's more to do with ones personality than going by just their appearance. If a person is confident, bubbly and people enjoy their company, even though they might be ugly at first sight, they will look less ugly as peoples perception of them change. However if a person is attractive but shy then they won't even be noticed so it's the personality over looks, whether you're likeable or not determines your popularity IMO.
Original post by Virgili
Eww they're not even attractive though, fake, fake, fake

Selena gomez then, she is a beauty, i have her as my wallpaper background on my phone :colondollar:
Well I'm ugly and have no friends so it checks out D:
Reply 12
Selena gomez then, she is a beauty, i have her as my wallpaper background on my phone :colondollar:

She looks too young for me, 18 is fine but Selena is 23? She looks 13
Original post by Virgili
She looks too young for me, 18 is fine but Selena is 23? She looks 13

She does look her age - count in her body too
Vanessa hudgens then
Reply 14
She does look her age - count in her body too
Vanessa hudgens then

Feel like I woke up as an old man cus she looks young as well. Maybe it's just the photos.
Original post by Virgili
Feel like I woke up as an old man cus she looks young as well. Maybe it's just the photos.

Vanessas 27 but irl she looks 24/25
In pictures she could could pass off as 22
Reply 16
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe they are just jealous cause they think ur prettier than them. 😊
The popular people in my high school weren't necessarily the most attractive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No - fan of their music lol
So are people saying it's mostly about confidence? If you work on your confidence, but are still unattractive, would you be able to make friends and sustain relationships as easily as an attractive person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending