The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start revising now?

I was supposed to start in February but I keep procrastinating and can only manage about an hour of work a day. How do you revise without procrastinating and how many hours a day is enough for A*s and A grades?
If I start revising tomorrow morning is that too late to achieve my targets? (My first exam is the 16th of May)

Scroll to see replies

Worrying about whether it's too late to start is definitely less effective than starting now. I'm doing maybe 3 hours a day (holidays atm) with the distant hope of As and A*s, but if anyone knows how I could not procrastinate I'd love to know.
I do a bit here and there, sorta if and when the mood takes me (I've got a fairly short attention span at home). Probably do about 2 hours a day revision, do quite well in my progress tests at school, so I wouldnt really stress about how much, just do it.
Reply 3
I reckon if I'm jus chill, Ill ace my GCSEs....
Reply 4
Yeah I think it just stresses me out when I hear about people doing 9 hours of work a day because I feel like I'm not doing enough haha.
Reply 5
Back at school, I only managed at best in my final A level year to start revising a week before.... got AAAB and extremely close to 2 A*s in them.
So yes you have time.
Reply 6
Original post by Inazuma
Back at school, I only managed at best in my final A level year to start revising a week before.... got AAAB and extremely close to 2 A*s in them.
So yes you have time.

What kind of revision did you do in that week and for how many hours? :smile: Well done on those grades!
I feel like its necessary to make yourself really unhappy and push yourself to the point of mental collapse in order to revise well and not procrastinate, I mean thats what I've always done in the past and it worked (10 A*s at GCSE, 3 As at As - note that A*s don't exist at AS). And by mental collapse I mean revising 8-9 hours a day and having no social life whatsoever. Ultimately I think you've just gotta tell yourself: "look kiddo, another month and a bit of absolute misery and then you have so much time to waste."

I mean its a foolproof technique, if you can get yourself to do it. Saying that I can't get myself to do that this year. Which sucks. So I'm in the same boat as the person who made this thread to begin with.
Original post by FranBertoletti
I feel like its necessary to make yourself really unhappy and push yourself to the point of mental collapse in order to revise well and not procrastinate, I mean thats what I've always done in the past and it worked (10 A*s at GCSE, 3 As at As - note that A*s don't exist at AS). And by mental collapse I mean revising 8-9 hours a day and having no social life whatsoever. Ultimately I think you've just gotta tell yourself: "look kiddo, another month and a bit of absolute misery and then you have so much time to waste."

I mean its a foolproof technique, if you can get yourself to do it. Saying that I can't get myself to do that this year. Which sucks. So I'm in the same boat as the person who made this thread to begin with.

Please can you tell me what revision techniques for each subject you used to get 10 A*s.
Reply 9
Original post by g3ob
What kind of revision did you do in that week and for how many hours? :smile: Well done on those grades!

TBH I was (and still am!) lazy and bad at revising.
However, for anything maths/science it was just tons of past papers, and thoroughly learning anything I got wrong.
Anything else, I just read through my textbooks and work etc (though I wouldn't recommend just reading like I did; writing and explaining (even to yourself) is far better)
Reply 10
Original post by Inazuma
TBH I was (and still am!) lazy and bad at revising.
However, for anything maths/science it was just tons of past papers, and thoroughly learning anything I got wrong.
Anything else, I just read through my textbooks and work etc (though I wouldn't recommend just reading like I did; writing and explaining (even to yourself) is far better)

Yeah I find maths past papers really useful, thankyou for the advice :smile:
Reply 11

How did you get yourself to do that?
Reply 12

I said bye to my friends. :smile:

So do you think within this month I can get the same grades as you did? Because 10A*s is what I want. Like bam, results day and I get them results I'll be just crying out of happiness. :')
Reply 13
I hope not, I'm planning on starting revision when i get back to school.
Sameeeeee and is your exam economics?
Original post by Username3097486
Please can you tell me what revision techniques for each subject you used to get 10 A*s.

Sure! For GCSEs I basically just made notes from the revision guides for most of the subjects, apart from maths, for which I did a ton of past papers, and for English, for which I reread the texts a couple times.

I looked at past papers from science too :smile:
Original post by g3ob
How did you get yourself to do that?

I really don't know :') it wasn't exactly healthy!
Original post by Roxeber
I said bye to my friends. :smile:

So do you think within this month I can get the same grades as you did? Because 10A*s is what I want. Like bam, results day and I get them results I'll be just crying out of happiness. :':wink:

For GCSEs you should be fine starting this month! But don't go totally nuts like I did - sure it payed off grade-wise, but it wasn't really that healthy and getting my results was more like a huge relief than a massive celebration - try to do some stuff you enjoy too! :smile:

That's great if it worked on you but I personally don't think it's a wise decision to 'mentally collapse' yourself everyday until the exam in order to achieve 10A*s. Well done to you for gaining them but they are definitely achievable without having to erase all type of social life from your daily routine.
Reply 19
For GCSEs you should be fine starting this month! But don't go totally nuts like I did - sure it payed off grade-wise, but it wasn't really that healthy and getting my results was more like a huge relief than a massive celebration - try to do some stuff you enjoy too! :smile:

but u see the thing is with me, it does not go into my head, subjects like re and geography are just... ugh

Quick Reply

Latest