The Student Room Group

Using FP2 in FP1

Just a quick question,
I am retaking FP1, and I was wondering if I could use things we learn in FP2 in FP1 like de-moivre theorem when taking roots of complex numbers? (instead of the algebraic methods we learn in FP1)

Thanks,
P____P
Reply 1
Original post by P____P
Just a quick question,
I am retaking FP1, and I was wondering if I could use things we learn in FP2 in FP1 like de-moivre theorem when taking roots of complex numbers? (instead of the algebraic methods we learn in FP1)

Thanks,
P____P

You could, at the expense of losing method marks if your answer is incorrect. Also anything that is of use in FP2 will (most likely) take longer to apply to an FP1 question than simply using the intended method. You might also trip yourself up. I'd advise sticking to the intended method unless you are entirely sure you know what you're doing.
I felt like I had to reply to this thread but Zain basically covered it all so I'm going to use my obligatory reply to say that Zain is right.

:getmecoat:
I havent done FP2 yet, but FP2 assumes knowledge of FP1, so I doubt you would get any method marks for using FP2 methods in FP1. If it were the other way round (using FP1 in FP2) then you might, would likely be situational, but in this case I dont think you can if you want any method marks.
Reply 4
Original post by an_atheist
I havent done FP2 yet, but FP2 assumes knowledge of FP1, so I doubt you would get any method marks for using FP2 methods in FP1. If it were the other way round (using FP1 in FP2) then you might, would likely be situational, but in this case I dont think you can if you want any method marks.

Any valid mathematical method will get you the marks in any module. I've used FP stuff in M1/2 before.
Original post by Zacken
Any valid mathematical method will get you the marks in any module. I've used FP stuff in M1/2 before.

Ah, cool. Wasn't aware of this. Mark schemes are written to be fairly exact though, so isn't it a bit of a risk to do so? I get you can appeal/remark (happened at my school a couple years ago, guy used a different method, got a U so the school appealed the mark and he got an A) but surely you can save yourself the effort by just using the relevant module's methods.
Reply 6
Ah, cool. Wasn't aware of this. Mark schemes are written to be fairly exact though, so isn't it a bit of a risk to do so? I get you can appeal/remark (happened at my school a couple years ago, guy used a different method, got a U so the school appealed the mark and he got an A) but surely you can save yourself the effort by just using the relevant module's methods.

The mark schemes you see are not the mark schemes the examiner receives. The ones the examiner receives contain alternative methods and are also instructed to award marks in for any valid mathematical method using their discretion and in the spirit of the markscheme.
Original post by Zacken
The mark schemes you see are not the mark schemes the examiner receives. The ones the examiner receives contain alternative methods and are also instructed to award marks in for any valid mathematical method using their discretion and in the spirit of the markscheme.

K, didn't know this. thanks
Reply 8
K, didn't know this. thanks

No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest