The Student Room Group

How important is a science gcse?

I'm doing triple science for gcse, but it's not going to good. We used to have an excellent chemistry teacher, but he's now left and his replacement doesn't really teach me anything as I can't learn from her. I learn more from the people around me than her, but she demands silence. Physics, the teacher is for sure the worst. I don't see how he's a teacher. Safety is a massive issue, but he just can't teach us either. He's got the knowledge, but can't tell us it. Everyone in the class pretty much have told the school about this but it hasn't been sorted out. And then biology, I just don't get it. The teacher is always trying to help but I still don't get it. Core I can just about do, Additional I'm struggling with, but I'm not sure I'm going to get any of the triple stuff.

I've been to revision and tried revising at home (For one term after every science lesson I went home and did hours of revision on the topic and I only just understood the basics even after that. - not good for time either). I don't struggle in most of my subjects, getting a lot of A's and B's a year early, but english I'm a bit behind in but the teacher said I'm on track,

The science teachers just don't seem bothered. We haven't done tests so I don't know where
Honestly, if you're not going to pursue anything science related later on then its not such an issue. However it is important to atleast get a GCSE out of it (C Grade). If you feel as though you can do that and can do better in other subjects than Science then work hard in them to get really good grades. I done 6 science exams last year (Year 10) and got C's and didn't realise I needed B's to do what I wanted so had to change paths, but it meant that I was able to get higher grades in other subjects even though I still have 3 more exams to sit this year (all taught by supplies). Honestly dude, do your best and I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 2
same situation here man, well i'm being honest it is important you need to do well so your grades look good and not you know messy (if you get me) i recommend using mygcsescience his videos cost money but trust me they've helped loads of students and pushed their grades up from Cs to As and A*s. I bought the videos recently and i can already tell the difference in my learning, i've been doing much better. Just focus like alot at home my teachers are not the best as well my class always needs to correct my chemistry teacher for her mistakes which is clearly bad because who's supposed to be the teacher. My physics teacher is the exactly the same as yours. Just do past papers and watch videos that will help you step by step.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mickeyandminnie
I'm doing triple science for gcse, but it's not going to good. We used to have an excellent chemistry teacher, but he's now left and his replacement doesn't really teach me anything as I can't learn from her. I learn more from the people around me than her, but she demands silence. Physics, the teacher is for sure the worst. I don't see how he's a teacher. Safety is a massive issue, but he just can't teach us either. He's got the knowledge, but can't tell us it. Everyone in the class pretty much have told the school about this but it hasn't been sorted out. And then biology, I just don't get it. The teacher is always trying to help but I still don't get it. Core I can just about do, Additional I'm struggling with, but I'm not sure I'm going to get any of the triple stuff.

I've been to revision and tried revising at home (For one term after every science lesson I went home and did hours of revision on the topic and I only just understood the basics even after that. - not good for time either). I don't struggle in most of my subjects, getting a lot of A's and B's a year early, but english I'm a bit behind in but the teacher said I'm on track,

The science teachers just don't seem bothered. We haven't done tests so I don't know where

Personally I'm not fussed over Science as I'm only doing the Lower Tier for Chem, Phys and Biol so the highest I can get is a C. Now I'm not planning on doing anything science related in the future so I don't think it'll be a problem but if you're planning on becoming something science related then it'll be very important.
Where do you get past papers from, I can't ever seem to find any online.

A Science GCSE is very important (if you want to go into any Science field) and it is still important because it is a 'core subject' everywhere.

Don't worry about not understanding..there are solutions. TSR is here to help..pose questions for us and we'll help you and this will help us to consolidate and revise the knowledge.
BBC Bitesize has quizzes.
Get a CGP revision guide.
Go on the exam board website for past papers.

Don't procrastinate..get help and get on with it! Good luck :smile:
Reply 6

each exam board has their own site and they have past papers:smile:
If you ever need help I'd be more than happy to try and help you - if you want to know more about me this will tell you :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

I wish you the best :biggrin:
Don't worry about the teachers..nowadays many teachers (although are trying) aren't good enough to teach. Physics is a serious issue everywhere. My school has the same issue with physics teachers, we have 3 physics teachers only. My physics teacher had to re-learn GCSE Physics because she is mainly a Biology GCSE teacher but she is also an A-Level Physics teacher. However since our school is strugging with Physics teacher, she had to chip in. She's amazing though!

One of the physics teacher doesn't teach at all, its textbook work every lesson because he cba and he thinks no one wants to learn. The other physics teacher who is the Head of Physics and Science gets one set out of the six sets in my school to teach, and that is set 5 (double science group). A few teachers have said to my face that the school is struggling with Physics teachers and they can't help it..there's a lack of them in the UK that's why theres simply not enough good ones to teach.

I've been to revision and tried revising at home (For one term after every science lesson I went home and did hours of revision on the topic and I only just understood the basics even after that. - not good for time either). I don't struggle in most of my subjects, getting a lot of A's and B's a year early, but English I'm a bit behind in but the teacher said I'm on track,

OMG I'm doing Triple science too and my physics teacher is SO BAD I don't even learn anything.
What exam board are you doing for Triple Science?
literally same. i have the worst teachers for triple science and for physics im currently on a U. Yes a U!!!!!!! ill just try to get atleast a C though lol

Quick Reply

Latest