The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hjyu1
Thanks for that, you feeling ready for the exams?

Mostly, need to do some last minute revision but as I said earlier, FP3 is one of my better modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Here are the grade boundaries for FP3 for 100ums, a* and a from jan 2010.

Thanks for this, will add this to the OP :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Anyone here doing fp4? Is there a thread for that I can't find one.
Need help on June 12 paper question 8 bi and c ANYONE HELP???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by misslili118
Need help on June 12 paper question 8 bii and c ANYONE HELP???

What have you tried?
Reply 25
Need help on June 12 paper question 8 bii and c ANYONE HELP???

For bii, try substituting r=4root2 into the expression given at the start of b, then solve for theta :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
For bii, try substituting r=4root2 into the expression given at the start of b, then solve for theta :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

SORRY I meant bi not bii :frown: ( finding the closest to pole O ) and also part c
Reply 27
SORRY I meant bi not bii :frown: ( finding the closest to pole O ) and also part c

image.jpg

I couldnt get the last part, it just destroyed my brain and I think my working for bi) is right not too sure tbf
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Hjyu1
image.jpg

I couldnt get the last part, it just destroyed my brain and I think my working for bi) is right not too sure tbf

Working for bi is correct, I'll do c now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29

Here is the working for c, I spent a while looking at the best method to explain it. It is not an easy question, so I apologise if the solution is confusing, let me know if you have any questions :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459983533.467249.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Anyone know where I can find more difficult polar coordinate questions that are similar to the Aqa ones?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Hjyu1
Anyone know where I can find more difficult polar coordinate questions that are similar to the Aqa ones?

Go on the C3 15th june thread and there is a link there for legacy papers and find the ones called something like map-5, there are some tough questions there if you skim through those papers
Reply 32
Original post by Qcomber
Go on the C3 15th june thread and there is a link there for legacy papers and find the ones called something like map-5, there are some tough questions there if you skim through those papers

Thank you:biggrin:
here is the working for c, i spent a while looking at the best method to explain it. It is not an easy question, so i apologise if the solution is confusing, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

posted from tsr mobile

thank you omg
Original post by hjyu1
image.jpg

i couldnt get the last part, it just destroyed my brain and i think my working for bi) is right not too sure tbf

thank you so much
Here is the working for c, I spent a while looking at the best method to explain it. It is not an easy question, so I apologise if the solution is confusing, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I converted the co-ordinates of P, N and Q into Cartesian and used length of lines for PN, NQ and QP to find out the angle using cosine rule. Would I still get the marks?
Reply 36
image.jpeg

Does anyone mind explaining why we have to get rid of the minus sign in part biii)
Reply 37
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
I converted the co-ordinates of P, N and Q into Cartesian and used length of lines for PN, NQ and QP to find out the angle using cosine rule. Would I still get the marks?

Yeah that's fine, it would still get you all the marks and would be included in the more detailed mark scheme that examiners get, but it would take longer of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Hjyu1
image.jpeg

Does anyone mind explaining why we have to get rid of the minus sign in part biii)

What did you get for the value of 6ii? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hjyu1
image.jpeg

The limits used for part bii are not the limits that are used to evaluate biii. The limits for part bii actually switch to calculate biii. They should be 0 (upper) and 1 (lower) instead of 1 (upper) and 0 (lower). This is because of the substitution; when you change the limits for the substitution using y=1/x, you calculate y=1/infinity = 0 for the upper and y=1/1 = 1 for the lower. If you calculate the integral again using the limits 0, 1 instead of 1, 0 the sign changes and becomes positive. You'd get 0 - -1/2 = 1/2 instead of -1/2 - 0 = -1/2 for the definite integral.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending