The Student Room Group

Why do people still consume cow's milk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Not sure if can't read or attempting to russle. You can consume it, but colostrum can't go into bulk milk for liquid milk as it'll fail the tank under antimicrobial testing as it's bacteriocidal/ static and is hence prohibited

Colostrum can be sold under raw milk legislation which has a range of requirements, including much higher acceptable bacterial counts etc. There's a number of hoops to jump through and is not widely practiced due a lack of demand and health risks.

Dairy products (Hygiene) Regulations 1995

Milk and dairies (general) regulations 1959

EC regulations (H1-5)

That's where most of the stuff I've just said come from also stuff from 853/2004 and other stuff from /2004 and also industry milk requirements which aren't published on the internet

Tl;dr - there's no colostrum in the stuff in the supermarkets

Once again missing the point. I already know how to get hold of liquid colostrum, it really isn't hard.
Milk is health if you are a child or an adult. Of course, if you don´t like, you have more alternatives :smile:
Because people are too lazy/can't be arsed to research and make their own decisions, so they do what everyone else is doing. And as long as there is demand, there will always be supply. It goes around in circles.
What do you expect me to have with my cereal? Water?
Original post by Lagomorph
Because people are too lazy/can't be arsed to research

Can you expand on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Can you expand on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people don't care where their food comes from is what I meant
Original post by Angry cucumber
Lol at cows injected with hormones to keep them pregnant. There's not one that works in cows.

Stop using the natural argument. It's ridiculous.

And ethically I have no problem with British dairy industry. It's the fastest improving welfare group in British farming. Whilst not perfect, over the last 10 years, I can say that being a dairy cow is a pretty good life.

I can sense your russling from here

They're killed in the pasteurisation process. I'm well aware of the SCC in milk, I study it.

Not all of it
God, borderline militant vegans, nothing more preachy.
Original post by mscaffrey
I like to think that my comment stood on its own in terms of criticising the logic you're using to justify the asking of the question.

We're the only mammals who do a lot of things. We're the only mammals with cancer treatment. We're the only mammals who build solid homes complete with heating and running water. We're the only mammals who cook our food.

The reason we're the only mammals who drink the milk of another mammal is because we're the only mammals who have evolved enough to be able to milk another mammal. We're the only mammals who have learnt how to farm (both plants and animals). Milk has been an important part of our diet in the past, and continues to be a good and handy natural source of fat and nutrients such as calcium. It has helped us build strong, healthy bones and has contributed to our brain development.

Of course we have alternatives to cow's milk now (I, myself, don't drink milk) but those alternatives are not as affordable or as widely available as cow's milk. They are also not suitable for everyone and the nutrients in them have to be added and are not absorbed as well. Cow/animal milk is still the best choice for babies who don't have access to breast milk (or as the follow on milk to breast milk). There are alternatives for babies with intolerances, but there's a reason that animal milks are recommended first and I believe they are legitimate medical/nutritional reasons rather than 'we've always done this, let's continue'.
Cow/dairy milk is unethical & not needed either, it is meant for a baby calf end of & humans don't need to have milk beyond infancy. You can be perfectly healthy not having it all or consuming plant based milk, end of.
Original post by Multitalented me
Cow/dairy milk is unethical & not needed either, it is meant for a baby calf end of & humans don't need to have milk beyond infancy. You can be perfectly healthy not having it all or consuming plant based milk, end of.

We have been over this already, plant milk is for plants.
Lol, plants need water, not really milk, it hasn't been proved that they are sentient either. Producing & consuming plant based milk is much healthier & better for the world than consuming dairy milk.

Plant based milk isn't meant for us. Nothing is ever 'meant' for us in this world and we still consume it. It is not unethical. Not everyone shares the same load of rubbish ethics that a vegan like you believe in. Don't just say end of after finishing it with such a backward statement. If you want to be a vegan, great continue but don't put that on others and make us feel guilty. We are the top predators and that's life.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
We can solve all of those problems simultaneously; it won't hinder crackdowns on human trafficking, terrorism, smoking, and all the rest if we try and wean ourselves off milk at the same time.

In any case the beef and dairy industry creates many more problems than simply being cruel to the animals. It contributes to world hunger, climate change, antibiotic resistance, and the prevalence of cancer and heart disease. I think I'd prioritise it over sorting out the fashion industry at the very least - but as I've said, we can do both at once.

Oh and by the way I really hate when people say "life isn't fair" or "life is cruel" as if that were an argument for anything. Why the **** do we even have, say, a criminal justice system, if we've accepted that life is irredeemably, insolvably unfair and unjust? Why even try?
You make some very good points, I like the way you think.
Lol, plants need water, not really milk, it hasn't been proved that they are sentient either. Producing & consuming plant based milk is much healthier & better for the world than consuming dairy milk.

Reply 154
Original post by hezzlington
It seems the vegans are mostly only concerned with animal welfare and to an extent, the environment.

They don't care the fags they smoke contain tobacco harvested by children made sick from the farming, or that the clothes they wear are made by people (usually young) who work for a few pennies an hour.

Yes, but we don't, and won't solve these problems simultaneously.

Where there is inequality and bad practice, there is usually more money to be made. Where there is profit, injustice will follow but unfortunately the need to make profit trumps all.

Well, I am vegan (mostly) and I do very much care about other issues

Why do you even post garbage like this? Plant milk is made from plants, by humans, for humans. You know that.
Original post by Serine Soul
What do you expect me to have with my cereal? Water?

I put soy milk on mine, and it's guuud.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Why do you even post garbage like this? Plant milk is made from plants, by humans, for humans. You know that.

And pasteurized milk isn't made by humans for humans?

I post it because I want to, are you rustled?

Spoiler

Original post by Youngmetro
You can stop drinking milk if you want, doesn't mean others have to stop. From a moral standpoint you may have an argument but there is a million other ways humans are bad and unethical. Reason, because we are at the top of the food chain.

Don't come along and give us your vegan ********

That's a load of nonsense. Humans are unethical in countless other ways, but it doesn't make our exploitation of dairy cows any less heinous, and it doesn't mean we can't work towards solving all of those injustices simultaneously. In fact, stopping dairy consumption is probably one of the easiest fixes humanity can do, with some of the most far-reachingly good effects for the world in general - as I've already posted, the meat and dairy industry contributes to world hunger, climate change, and the prevalence of heart disease and cancer.

The idea that we should be "allowed" to exploit dairy cows because we are "at the top of the food chain" is similarly nonsensical. The dairy industry is a profoundly unnatural system to which the rules of biology do not apply. What's more, biological systems like food chains never have any moral weight to them - they describe what does happen in the wild, not what ought to happen in human society.
What if some of us don't want alternatives and prefer fresh cow's milk? I spent 7 years of my life living in a remote village with 20 people in it where a retail van comes once a week and the nearest village with a shop was 6 km away, fresh cow's milk was the best thing, especially together with a piece of bread and homemade berry jam :love: It's nice to know that such drink comes from such a cute animal rather than drinking some soya or almond milk that comes from just a plant :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest