The Student Room Group

How would a outright burqa and face veil ban go down in England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yasminkattan
I obviously won't be going to another Western country

Even better.
This is one of the reasons I can't wait to leave this country. You can't go out in your hijab or niqab without being seen as some sort of enemy to the British society, or as you put it, someone who "refuses to integrate". Why must I compromise my superstitious beliefs(not culture) just to be accepted by a bunch of Islamophobes? We live in a multicultural society, whether you like it or not, and people need to start getting used to this. Get used to seeing Muslim women wearing veils, Indian women wearing sarees, Jewish men with their kippahs or fur hats, whatever they're called. You don't need to look British (haven't a clue what that even is) to integrate and you can still follow your religion if that's what you wish. Surprising isn't it? Hijab or no hijab I will still contribute towards the British economy, pay my taxes and be a good citizen - better than some natives. Maybe the Brits who live abroad ought to "integrate" more too, don't you think?

I've corrected that for you.
Original post by Dara Dahl

Very nice!
:biggrin:
People should be allowed to wear what they want. End of.
Reply 24
Original post by Lord Samosa

Really?

Original post by Lord Samosa

I can see you don't believe in the concept of cultural appropriation then. Hoorah!
Original post by Josb
Really?

imo (as another poster, not the guy you're replying to) yeah, people ought to be allowed to wear a KKK outfit so long as they're not harming people.
Original post by Josb
Really?

Apparently the KKK copied the costumes that are used in Spanish Easter processions. Anyone who doesn't know this and goes to Spain in Easter will think there are KKK processions going on all over the place :lol:
It should be banned outright

Even many of my family, who are otherwise conservative Muslims, are against the niqab.

It makes absolutely no sense either. Modesty in Islam is about drawing less attention to yourself. How the heck do you do that when you're walking around looking like a bloody ninja?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
To me niqabis look more like dementors than ninjas.

Oh yes, the flowy abayas
Original post by Josb
I don't want to admit anybody that doesn't benefit the country.

and the people sitting at home idle with no job benefitting from OUR taxes and living off welfare state? kick them out of the UK?
no, I didn't think so.
and what do you do to benefit the country?
Reply 31
Original post by orangejuices
and the people sitting at home idle with no job benefitting from OUR taxes and living off welfare state? kick them out of the UK?
no, I didn't think so.
and what do you do to benefit the country?

The fact that we have to deal with our benefit scroungers is not a reason for admitting unworthy immigrants.

I pay £500 of direct tax every month. I haven't asked for a single penny of benefit in the UK.
Original post by Josb
The fact that we have to deal with our benefit scroungers is not a reason for admitting unworthy immigrants.

I pay £500 of direct tax every month. I haven't asked for a single penny of benefit in the UK.

You do realise that the vast majority of your £500 is spent on other things which you do benefit from directly or indirectly.

The ban, hen if there was a refernedum on it fine, less so if its a government becayse I think it just smacks of intolerance. I dont agree to them wearing it in impractiucal situations like court, teaching surgeion. Whether they wear them or not it doesnt affect me one iota.
Reply 33
Original post by 999tigger
You do realise that the vast majority of your £500 is spent on other things which you do benefit from directly or indirectly.

I know.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
To me niqabis look more like dementors than ninjas.

:toofunny:
Original post by mojojojo101
Personally I believe that telling people what they can and cannot wear is well beyond the remit of any government.

Original post by AlmightyJesus
nope - freedom of expression > nanny state policies

whether islam is an abhorrent religion or not, you can't support a policy like this if you believe in personal liberty and not banning things which harm nobody else.

This is simply not the case. If that were true, we would not have a problem with the white robes of the Ku Klux Klan, or with clothing featuring the swastika, or with racist skinheads etc. The reality is that dress is a statement and it can be a very powerful means of intimidation and of influencing cultural trends. The veil and all clothing that covers the face is a deliberate barrier to social participation, it is both a symbol of oppression and segregation as well as a statement of moral superiority. For the latter reason (i.e. the statement of moral superiority) as a woman I take huge issue with the hijab too, but this is another thread altogether.

The bottom line for me is that the Western way of life, the Western values and the civil rights (including women's rights) that we take for granted today have been hard won by generations of men and women, and need to be protected. Political correctness has a tranquillising effect to social anxiety, it suspends thinking and is a comfortable way to avoid facing reality. We need to get rid of it.
Original post by Serine Soul
It should be banned outright

Even many of my family, who are otherwise conservative Muslims, are against the niqab.

It makes absolutely no sense either. Modesty in Islam is about drawing less attention to yourself. How the heck do you do that when you're walking around looking like a bloody ninja?

Conservative Muslims who are against the niqab, SubhanAllah.
Conservative Muslims who are against the niqab, SubhanAllah.

Tell me where it says a niqab is required, go on.
Reply 38

it isnt but banning it isnt good :frown:
Reply 39

You can also ask this question for the head covering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending