The Student Room Group

GCSE Route to A*

ALRIGHTY! well basically every single thread i have seen for gcses has all these people aiming for like 10000 A*s and im sitting here like loool I'm just trying to stay at my school and not get kicked out because of grades. I'm aiming for:
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Chem (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

Yeah so lets give each other motivation and help with the 5/6 weeks we have left leading up to our exams

P.S- my mocks were SO bad they were like Cs, Bs and like 2 As but i didn't revise (BUT NO EXCUSES FOR ME) so i'm aiming to do as well as possible to stay at school.
Basically at my school to come back you need a B in eng lang and maths and As or above in the a-level subject you wannna do : Bio, chem, maths, geog (or psychology) for me

So down below list:
What your subjects are, exam board and target grades
Proposed A-level options
What you struggle with etc
yeah....whatever else you want really....

BTW the way i revise is the following:
Bio, Chem: Flashcards and past papers
Physics: GetRevising same as above really
Geog: haven't done much yet but notes, midmaps
Drama: Learning how to answer Q and make notes on my performances
Spanish: I still need to do my oral but vocab, past papers
RS: Quizlet summarise stuff
Eng Lit: OMAM and AIC haven't done anything but mindmap for poetry
Eng Lang: Just learn ways to answer Q and what to look out for
Maths: PAST PAPERS and learn equations on flash cards

thats all folks, i'll update in a few on how much I've done today and wise words from the HSM students

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We do the same subjects apart from spanish(I do French) how often do you practise maths, or have you always been naturally good at it?
Reply 2
Original post by sfaraj
ALRIGHTY! well basically every single thread i have seen for gcses has all these people aiming for like 10000 A*s and im sitting here like loool I'm just trying to stay at my school and not get kicked out because of grades. I'm aiming for:
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

Yeah so lets give each other motivation and help with the 5/6 weeks we have left leading up to our exams

P.S- my mocks were SO bad they were like Cs, Bs and like 2 As but i didn't revise (BUT NO EXCUSES FOR ME) so i'm aiming to do as well as possible to stay at school.
Basically at my school to come back you need a B in eng lang and maths and As or above in the a-level subject you wannna do : Bio, chem, maths, geog (or psychology) for me

So down below list:
Proposed A-level options

thats all folks, i'll update in a few on how much I've done today and wise words from the HSM students

Subjects - Grade Wanted - Exam Board:

English Language: A*/A - IGCSE
English Literature: A - IGCSE
Maths: A* - Edexcel
Physics: A* - AQA
Chemistry: A* - AQA
RE: A* - Easy - AQA
Spanish: A* - Easy - AQA
Music Technology: Distinction (A) - Who the F**K knows :biggrin:
Drama: A* - Easy - WJEC

Proposed A-level options:

Maths
Physics
Economics
Computing/Further Maths (not sure which to pick)

What you struggle with:

ENGLISH OMD ITS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE!!!

Science - Not really struggle but I feel exhausted having to cram all that info into my small Cranium
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiara006
We do the same subjects apart from spanish(I do French) how often do you practise maths, or have you always been naturally good at it?

YAY THATS GREAT WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER!

I could've done french but i disliked it sooo much I took spanish. But i practice it once a week, and no way was I good at it. in year 9 and 10 I would get 20% in my papers, but with just loads of practice papers and learning and understanding what you don't understand is really helpful, and good teacher is vital too. If your school teacher isn't teaching well, help clubs/ tutor would help, I'm sure the school offer tuition too. How are you in maths? If you need help message me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sfaraj
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

So down below list:
Proposed A-level options

What do you want to be in the future?
Reply 5

Same - Except for Bio and Geo
Original post by HeimIX
Subjects - Grade Wanted - Exam Board:

English Language: A*/A - IGCSE
English Literature: A - IGCSE
Maths: A* - Edexcel
Physics: A* - AQA
Chemistry: A* - AQA
RE: A* - Easy - AQA
Spanish: A* - Easy - AQA
Music Technology: Distinction (A) - Who the F**K knows :biggrin:
Drama: A* - Easy - WJEC

Proposed A-level options:

Maths
Physics
Economics
Computing/Further Maths (not sure which to pick)

What you struggle with:

ENGLISH OMG ITS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE!!!

Science - Not really struggle but I feel exhausted having to cram all that info into my small Cranium

WOW! Those are great! I hope you get them. :smile: And yeah science is a tricky one, I always lose my focus or leave it till late :/ And having a rubbish English teacher for 2 years has put me at a disadvantage
Original post by sfaraj
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

So down below list:
Proposed A-level options

These are the grades i want to achieve :smile:

Maths Edexcel- A*
Statistics-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
English Literature-A
English Language-A*
Psychology-A*
Geography-A
French-A*

I have already done two of my gcse's which are:
Maths IGCSE - A*
CIE English Language- B

A-levels: ( I want to do medicine :smile: )
1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Economics
4. Maths

I struggle with revising for English Lit . Is there a way you could help me out ? :smile:
Original post by HeimIX
What do you want to be in the future?

no idea but being from a middle eastern background and everyone you know is either a doctor, pharmacist or dentist probably one of those, idk dentistry seems cool and a good idea in the long run, pharmacy ive been there for a day and its quite tedious as for medicine, its interesting and there are always surprises but meh

what about you???
Hey, good luck and I hope that you are able to get the grades that you want and do you think that youtube videos are helpful when it comes to maths as I do the same exam board but i just can't answer the questions properly.

Thanks
Original post by nisha.sri

Maths Edexcel- A*
Statistics-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
English Literature-A
English Language-A*
Psychology-A*
Geography-A
French-A*

Maths IGCSE - A*
CIE English Language- B

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Economics
4. Maths

I struggle with revising for English Lit . Is there a way you could help me out ? :smile:

oh wow they're great good luck! for english lit idk what books you do but for poetry you can make mindmaps/ notes on the poems and simply analyse them.for lit you know what will come up, its just a matter of learning it.
I understand your hatred for French, I was once a D but after a wake up call I actually worked and moved up to an A!(want an A*) and I wish I enjoyed Maths but atm I'm at a C! On two occasions, I was one mark away from a B, which is disgusting because I want an A* but it makes me depressed :biggrin: and thanks for your advice, ill definitely try more maths papers. It's the thing where I understand the basics of each topic, but in the actual paper, they look so much harder than they actually are! And if you would like help in how to revise for English lit or lan (looks like you don't!) you can ask me as well :smile: actually, how do YOU revise for English Lit and what novels/plays are you studying?
Original post by sfaraj
YAY THATS GREAT WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER!

I could've done french but i disliked it sooo much I took spanish. But i practice it once a week, and no way was I good at it. in year 9 and 10 I would get 20% in my papers, but with just loads of practice papers and learning and understanding what you don't understand is really helpful, and good teacher is vital too. If your school teacher isn't teaching well, help clubs/ tutor would help, I'm sure the school offer tuition too. How are you in maths? If you need help message me :smile:
Original post by the-future-medic
Hey, good luck and I hope that you are able to get the grades that you want and do you think that youtube videos are helpful when it comes to maths as I do the same exam board but i just can't answer the questions properly.

Thanks

aha thank you, you too :smile:.

yeah they are, I used videos a bit before to get a hang of the topics, but as time passes, its best you use past papers and then use your past paper results as a judgement of what you still need to work on :smile:

oh wait, what do you mean you can't answer the questions?
Reply 13
just did a p1 paper with no revision and got 40/60
10 marks off a safe A*

got some revision to do........................ ****
(but tbf the last p1 paper i did in school i got like 54/60 bc revision

im only worried about sciences tbh
and the content of history
and french bc imma fail
maybe eng lit will be a problematic A*
the rest tho
should be ok
Reply 14
Original post by nisha.sri

Maths Edexcel- A*
Statistics-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
English Literature-A
English Language-A*
Psychology-A*
Geography-A
French-A*

Maths IGCSE - A*
CIE English Language- B

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Economics
4. Maths

Mr Bruff is the way forward m8
Reply 15
Original post by sfaraj
no idea but being from a middle eastern background and everyone you know is either a doctor, pharmacist or dentist probably one of those, idk dentistry seems cool and a good idea in the long run, pharmacy ive been there for a day and its quite tedious as for medicine, its interesting and there are always surprises but meh

what about you???

Stock Broker/Inv. Banker
I understand your hatred for French, I was once a D but after a wake up call I actually worked and moved up to an A!(want an A*) and I wish I enjoyed Maths but atm I'm at a C! On two occasions, I was one mark away from a B, which is disgusting because I want an A* but it makes me depressed :biggrin: and thanks for your advice, ill definitely try more maths papers. It's the thing where I understand the basics of each topic, but in the actual paper, they look so much harder than they actually are! And if you would like help in how to revise for English lit or lan (looks like you don't!) you can ask me as well :smile: actually, how do YOU revise for English Lit and what novels/plays are you studying?

You can deffo get an A*, if i still didn't enjoy maths now then probs get a C, but if you need help with any topics tell me. And yeah i understand what you mean with the exam papers, the question is so obvious but the way they word it screws you over :frown:

And thank you for the offer :smile: I deffo need help, although I aim high, I don't know if I will get high. English has always been a weakness, the question is obvious but no matter how hard i try to answer it correctly, I never do it right. I do OMAM and AIC and the way I revise for poetry is mindmaps and analyse the poems, as for OMAM and AIC i dont know, for mocks I didn't revise for them but i got an A so meh. But for lang, i might just learn how to answer the question and what to look out for and practice the techniques on articles wbu??
Original post by sfaraj
aha thank you, you too :smile:.

yeah they are, I used videos a bit before to get a hang of the topics, but as time passes, its best you use past papers and then use your past paper results as a judgement of what you still need to work on :smile:

oh wait, what do you mean you can't answer the questions?

Sorry, read back over it and realised that it didn't make any sense.
What i meant was that I never get full marks when answering a question because i cant do the working out and so i wanted to know if videos on YouTube would allow me to see how to answer the question.
Original post by HeimIX
Stock Broker/Inv. Banker

Oh thats cool! Hope you get there one day :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by the-future-medic
Sorry, read back over it and realised that it didn't make any sense.
What i meant was that I never get full marks when answering a question because i cant do the working out and so i wanted to know if videos on YouTube would allow me to see how to answer the question.

ohhhh okay that made a bit more sense aha :smile: yeah there will definitely be videos of walkthroughs, try OMAths or something like that, they have prediction papers and walk you through how to answer them :smile:

Quick Reply