The Student Room Group

Biology Industrial Placement Year

Hi,

I've been offered a place on a Scottish degree course which normally lasts 4 years. However, my offer is for entry into the second year and so I would skip the 1st year.

I was hoping to take an industrial placement during the 2nd and 3rd years of my degree. I am aware that people normally make applications for industrial placements using their grades from their 1st year.

If I skip the first year of the degree would it still be possible to gain an industrial placement? This is considering I would not have 1st year results to apply with. Do you think this would put me at a disadvantage?
(I have phoned up the university but they said they don't know and will try to find out but I was wondering if anyone else has been stuck in this situation?)

Does anyone have any idea of who to contact about this other than my school/the uni?

THANKS for any help/advice/etc
Are you transferring universities? Why don't you have first year grades - can they not use the ones you had from first year at your previous uni?

Tbh, the only people who can say for sure are your university placement year staff/ whoever organises the whole thing. Who did you speak to when you phoned them up? General admissions staff may not know, but if you can get in touch with the head of department or placement year organiser they should have the answer :smile:
If you mean that the companies you apply to wont have first year results, then it would be up to individual companies. It seems a bit odd that the placement year isn't between 3rd and 4th year, usually companies want penultimate year students so the uni could be severely limiting your choice :frown: Is there the option to do the placement year a year later?
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Are you transferring universities? Why don't you have first year grades - can they not use the ones you had from first year at your previous uni?

Tbh, the only people who can say for sure are your university placement year staff/ whoever organises the whole thing. Who did you speak to when you phoned them up? General admissions staff may not know, but if you can get in touch with the head of department or placement year organiser they should have the answer :smile:

Hi. No I'm not transferring. I'd be going directly from A levels to the second year of university. I've spoken to both the head of department and admissions. Neither had the answer! I don't think they have had many students with this dilemma before. I will definitely check as to whether or not I can take the industrial placement between the penultimate and final year (as your second comment suggested). Thank you so much for your helpful responses :smile:
Original post by Rlh7808
Hi. No I'm not transferring. I'd be going directly from A levels to the second year of university. I've spoken to both the head of department and admissions. Neither had the answer! I don't think they have had many students with this dilemma before. I will definitely check as to whether or not I can take the industrial placement between the penultimate and final year (as your second comment suggested). Thank you so much for your helpful responses :smile:

A, I forgot the Scottish system is a bit different to the English one! Hmmm, them surely other students in the past would have been in similar situations? Yeah, definitely ask about that - if you can do the placement year a year later it would make it a lot easier :smile:
Also ask about what they think the issue could be - whether it's a university policy that you need certain first year grades to be allowed to do the placement year, or whether it's that they think employers might want first year grades but they as a university wouldn't stop you looking for a placement :smile:

Quick Reply