The Student Room Group

Masters - Different ECTs

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at some masters in Ireland, the UK and The Netherlands. Just wondering if anyone knows why Masters are worth a different amount of ECTs? Obviously the more the ECTs the more study and work involved but at the end of the day what is the difference? Does a lower ECT Masters make them less prestigious? Would there be no dissertation in a 60ECT Masters? Would that be a bad thing? I'll be paying c. £10k so I just want to be sure I'm spending my money wisely.
Original post by econstu89
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at some masters in Ireland, the UK and The Netherlands. Just wondering if anyone knows why Masters are worth a different amount of ECTs? Obviously the more the ECTs the more study and work involved but at the end of the day what is the difference? Does a lower ECT Masters make them less prestigious? Would there be no dissertation in a 60ECT Masters? Would that be a bad thing? I'll be paying c. £10k so I just want to be sure I'm spending my money wisely.

Do they definitely have the same entry requirements? Some courses split their ECTs between PGCert, PGDip and Masters - you work through all 3 stages in the Masters but the Masters component is only 1/3 (the dissertation) of the total course.

If you're not sure then asking them directly why the ECTs are lower is fine:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending