The Student Room Group

What should be done for the steel industry in Port Talbot?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
You're really grasping at straws here if you are to discount the community that actually uses said product. Rightly or wrongly, Chinese steel has a reputation of not being of the standard that the customer requires.

Except reputation and anecdotal evidence is not objective proof that the Chinese are incapable of producing sufficiently high grade steel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Except reputation and anecdotal evidence is not objective proof that the Chinese are incapable of producing sufficiently high grade steel

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does the grade of steel have to do with this?
Original post by Smack
What does the grade of steel have to do with this?

Because that's what the whole argument is about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because that's what the whole argument is about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you haven't been reading the posts very well because you're on your mobile phone or maybe you don't know what you're talking about, but the argument is about the quality of the steel, not its grade.
Reply 124
Original post by Smack
Maybe you haven't been reading the posts very well because you're on your mobile phone or maybe you don't know what you're talking about, but the argument is about the quality of the steel, not its grade.

You had several opportunities to back up your assertion that Chinese steel is low quality but has not done so. Since no one on TSR knows you from Adam, its up to you now to put up or shut up.
Original post by Maker
You had several opportunities to back up your assertion that Chinese steel is low quality but has not done so. Since no one on TSR knows you from Adam, its up to you now to put up or shut up.

If you're not interested in what the end users of said product say (not an unusual position for someone on TSR, actually, given the amount of people that slam the student satisfaction metric on the newspaper league tables), then you won't accept any evidence, and there is little point in conversing with you.
Original post by Smack
If you're not interested in what the end users of said product say (not an unusual position for someone on TSR, actually, given the amount of people that slam the student satisfaction metric on the newspaper league tables), then you won't accept any evidence, and there is little point in conversing with you.

Except perhaps objective proof? If it is low quality then there should be proof.

I think the service the NHS provides is poor, so do several people I know and have spoken to. The NHS is poor quality.

Alternatively if you hold that opinion anyway, I have spoken to people who worship the NHS and believe it to be flawless. The NHS is flawless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dirty Dawah
If I ever got it, there would be jackboots, make no mistake about it

That's one hell of a dream you have there boyo.
Except perhaps objective proof? If it is low quality then there should be proof.

Objective proof would be Chinese steel of a certain grade trading at below the world market price. No idea if that happens.

I don't think that companies are in the habit of releasing QC data or supplier scorecards outwith the company.

I think the service the NHS provides is poor, so do several people I know and have spoken to. The NHS is poor quality.

Alternatively if you hold that opinion anyway, I have spoken to people who worship the NHS and believe it to be flawless. The NHS is flawless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think this is a valid analogy then I am going to have to assume that in relation to post 127 it's the later.
Original post by Observatory
Objective proof would be Chinese steel of a certain grade trading at below the world market price. No idea if that happens.

I don't check the price of steel, but given what is currently happening I think it's safe to assume that Chinese steel is some of the lowest cost on the market. But that's a function of lower operating costs and sate subsidies.
Original post by Smack
I don't think that companies are in the habit of releasing QC data or supplier scorecards outwith the company.

If you think this is a valid analogy then I am going to have to assume that in relation to post 127 it's the later.

Translation: I have no such proof.
Translation: I have no such proof.

I have already explained in the post you quoted. If you can't understand why companies might not want to release their quality control data, and don't care about the professional views and experiences of some of the end users of the product, there is little point in continuing to converse with you and you are merely arguing for the sake or arguing.
In a lot of cases China seems to have two concurrent industries, one with high QC for internal use and one with low QC for export. Not that this matters for companies who only have experience with the latter, but I'm inclined to believe that the Chinese can produce high quality steel.
The Almanis crowd suggests that there is probably a touch over an 80% chance that the Tata Group will successfully sell off their factory in Port Talbot by the end of May: http://app.almanis.com/#/outcomes/340
What do you guys reckon? Agree/disagree?
Original post by Bill_Gates
What should be done for the steel industry in Port Talbot?

I personally think they should close it down.
- We can't afford to nationalize it, the UK government is broke.
- It's a low value added product
- 80% of the UK economy is now in the service sector (i don't agree with it but it is what it is).
- We have close allies who produce steel plus China has been very efficient in the area for years.
- Putting on tariffs for steel might lead to a trade war we might lose out on in other areas of the economy i.e car sales to China for example.

Your views?

- If we can't afford to nationalise steel we might as well sell our children into slavery for food
- Not that low clearly
- Exactly, we need a manufacturing sector
- Brilliant lets be at the mercy of China for all our materials
- So we should do nothing for fear of angering China meanwhile let them make everything

We must be very short sighted if we can't see what's happening here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending