Substitution equation 1.png

Can anyone solve this substitution equation? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by w.mitchell
Substitution equation 1.png

Can anyone solve this substitution equation? :smile:

Is this something you need help with? Or just a fun little puzzle :colone:
Reply 2
A bit of both really! It's been bugging me all evening and I was wondering if someone else wanted to try and work it out :smile:
Reply 3
A bit of both really! It's been bugging me all evening and I was wondering if someone else wanted to try and work it out :smile:

To get you started, try considering the second column sum and the third row sum as simultaneous equations.
Reply 4

You first need to form equations for each row/column
From there you can substitute in values to work out the value of one of the shapes, then use that in another equation to find another value ect until you find all three

This is what I got plus my working, just ask if you don't understand anything :h:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I got square=5
triangle=17
circle=8
Reply 6
Original post by KaylaB
x

I concur though this can be done a little more succinctly.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
I concur though this can be done a little more succinctly.

Spoiler

I know, I was trying to write it out properly so it'd be easy to follow, but I suppose I was perhaps a bit long-winded at points :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by KaylaB
I know, I was trying to write it out properly so it'd be easy to follow, but I suppose I was perhaps a bit long-winded at points :colondollar:

I'm not trying to pick holes at all, its just that with too much written down it can sometimes be more confusing. :smile:
I also edited in a comment regarding ensuring consistency, but that's not all that important to this discussion.
Reply 9
Original post by joostan
I'm not trying to pick holes at all, its just that with too much written down it can sometimes be more confusing. :smile:
I also edited in a comment regarding ensuring consistency, but that's not all that important to this discussion.

It's fine I understand, it just helps me in the long run :h:
Reply 10
Thanks so much to everyone that helped with this - makes complete sense now!

Quick Reply