The Student Room Group

Word limit on an undergraduate history degree reassessment essay

I'm studying Modern History and due to family related problems I've suffered from severe depression, insomnia and anxiety since Christmas. Unfortunately this has had repercussions for my university studies, and through extenuating circumstances I managed to obtain a reassessment for an important essay from my first semester. Initially this essay was going to be a seminar presentation but instead I agreed with my module tutor on an additional essay.

No fixed word limit was agreed, but she wanted me to do something relatively short within the 1000 word mark. I emailed her a few weeks ago to explain how I can convey my ideas more effectively if I could write more than this, to which she agreed.

I've just submitted a final 2100 word assignment but I'm worried that I could be penalized as I've discovered that the limit was 1000 words but we agreed before this that I could write more than that. Will this impact my final grade?
Original post by TheCommissar
I'm studying Modern History and due to family related problems I've suffered from severe depression, insomnia and anxiety since Christmas. Unfortunately this has had repercussions for my university studies, and through extenuating circumstances I managed to obtain a reassessment for an important essay from my first semester. Initially this essay was going to be a seminar presentation but instead I agreed with my module tutor on an additional essay.

No fixed word limit was agreed, but she wanted me to do something relatively short within the 1000 word mark. I emailed her a few weeks ago to explain how I can convey my ideas more effectively if I could write more than this, to which she agreed.

I've just submitted a final 2100 word assignment but I'm worried that I could be penalized as I've discovered that the limit was 1000 words but we agreed before this that I could write more than that. Will this impact my final grade?

If you have it in writing that there is no word limit then they can't penalise you. However, this isn't anything that anyone on TSR can really help with - clarify with your tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending