The Student Room Group

Further maths?

I'm really struggling to revise for my further maths gcse, I have all the notes and understand everything that we've done in the lessons, but I just can't seem to be able to relate it to the past papers I've been trying to do? This is really worrying me as I've chosen to take maths and further maths next year for as, and if I can't do gcse further maths then what hope have I got of doing a level further maths? Has anyone taken further maths GCSEs and have any advice on revising or how to do the past papers? As soon as we're back to school I'm going to speak to my teacher about it and see if she can explain some of the things to me, it's really hard trying to learn a course when you only have an hour lesson every week, but I'm really trying. So does anyone have any advice about how I should approach this? And if anyone has taken it what did you get?
What board is this?
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
I'm really struggling to revise for my further maths gcse, I have all the notes and understand everything that we've done in the lessons, but I just can't seem to be able to relate it to the past papers I've been trying to do? This is really worrying me as I've chosen to take maths and further maths next year for as, and if I can't do gcse further maths then what hope have I got of doing a level further maths? Has anyone taken further maths GCSEs and have any advice on revising or how to do the past papers? As soon as we're back to school I'm going to speak to my teacher about it and see if she can explain some of the things to me, it's really hard trying to learn a course when you only have an hour lesson every week, but I'm really trying. So does anyone have any advice about how I should approach this? And if anyone has taken it what did you get?

I didn't do fm for gcse but I'm doing it for a level and with any maths i guess it just gets better with more practice. I found a really good youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2De0DVeFj3UQsVP217m4432peZ7Jow6r

He has a whole playlist of gcse fm videos explaining everything quite clearly.

Give this a shot!
Original post by mathphysics123
What board is this?

Aqa I think
Original post by hellomynameisr
I didn't do fm for gcse but I'm doing it for a level and with any maths i guess it just gets better with more practice. I found a really good youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2De0DVeFj3UQsVP217m4432peZ7Jow6r

He has a whole playlist of gcse fm videos explaining everything quite clearly.

Give this a shot!

Thank you, that looks really good I'll give it a try! Good luck with your further maths a level, I'm taking it next year and I'm not looking forward to how hard I imagine it will be, but it's essential for the degree I want to do, so needs must i suppose:smile:
Thank you, that looks really good I'll give it a try! Good luck with your further maths a level, I'm taking it next year and I'm not looking forward to how hard I imagine it will be, but it's essential for the degree I want to do, so needs must i suppose:smile:

No problem.

Further maths a level isn't as hard as it sound lol; you just need to put in the hours and the results will follow!

What degree do you want to do?
No problem.

Further maths a level isn't as hard as it sound lol; you just need to put in the hours and the results will follow!

What degree do you want to do?

Oh good, I'm stressing about it already and I haven't even started the course yet:laugh:
I'm looking at economics degrees atm, I want to go into finance I think. What about you?
DO NOT TAKE FURTHER MATHS FOR A LEVELS IF ITS NOT REQUIRED FOR YOUR UNI COURSE. It just isn't worth it, all of the smartest people I know who loved maths at GCSE, can't stand it now and regret it. They struggle with it because of the amount of content and how rushed they are for time...just a warning
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh good, I'm stressing about it already and I haven't even started the course yet:laugh:
I'm looking at economics degrees atm, I want to go into finance I think. What about you?

na don't worry for now :tongue:

ooh cool i do economics at a level as well :smile:

and most likely gonna do maths or physics =D
Original post by JubilationXXV
DO NOT TAKE FURTHER MATHS FOR A LEVELS IF ITS NOT REQUIRED FOR YOUR UNI COURSE. It just isn't worth it, all of the smartest people I know who loved maths are GCSE, can't stand it now and regret it. They struggle with it because of the amount of content and how rushed they are for time...just a warning

Thank you, but unfortunately most unis require it for the course I want to take so I've got to take it. I'm hoping it won't be too bad and my teacher has said that I'll be able to do it so fingers crossed.
na don't worry for now :tongue:

ooh cool i do economics at a level as well :smile:

and most likely gonna do maths or physics =D

Oh really? I'm taking economics next year as well. Is it very maths based? I'm not exactly too sure what to expect from it.

Ah cool, maths is always enjoyable, but I honestly can't stand physics, I'm not sure why lol. I'm sure you'll enjoy your degree whichever you choose, you'll probably figure out which one by the time you apply:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh really? I'm taking economics next year as well. Is it very maths based? I'm not exactly too sure what to expect from it.

Ah cool, maths is always enjoyable, but I honestly can't stand physics, I'm not sure why lol. I'm sure you'll enjoy your degree whichever you choose, you'll probably figure out which one by the time you apply:smile:

Economics at a level isn't very mathematical at all; at most you'll have to calulate percentage changes which is gcse level. It's more of an essay based subject so the questions are more discursive. It depends on what exam board you do (I do Edexcel) and I find it quite enjoyable as it's the subject I revise for least but still manage to pull a good grade :smile:

And yeah physics is annoying at times but oh well lol
Reply 12
Original post by JubilationXXV
DO NOT TAKE FURTHER MATHS FOR A LEVELS IF ITS NOT REQUIRED FOR YOUR UNI COURSE. It just isn't worth it, all of the smartest people I know who loved maths at GCSE, can't stand it now and regret it. They struggle with it because of the amount of content and how rushed they are for time...just a warning

Lolling so hard at this. :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest