The Student Room Group

Can I learn everything in 6 weeks?!?

Hi all
I've got the chance to enter for GCSE maths this summer. First exam is end of May. I need a B/C so will need to sit the higher paper.
I'm on track to pass a course for a teaching assistant soon but to gain the job I want, ive been told I need GCSE maths. Last time I did it was 1996 and I got an F. Is this possible or totally not do-able? Please help!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Nutella&spoon
Hi all
I've got the chance to enter for GCSE maths this summer. First exam is end of May. I need a B/C so will need to sit the higher paper.
I'm on track to pass a course for a teaching assistant soon but to gain the job I want, ive been told I need GCSE maths. Last time I did it was 1996 and I got an F. Is this possible or totally not do-able? Please help!!!

It's really hard to say.

Have you done any work for it yet? Or have you done no maths since 1996? If it's the latter then this sounds like a really tall order.

And how many hours/effort are you willing to put in?
Original post by notnek
It's really hard to say.

Have you done any work for it yet? Or have you done no maths since 1996? If it's the latter then this sounds like a really tall order.

And how many hours/effort are you willing to put in?

Thanks for the reply:smile:))
No maths at that level since 1996. I can put in about 16 hours a week.
Not enough??? I've looked at the textbooks and there confusing as hell lol!!! I feel like I'm never going to be able to do it.
BUT when I look at the exam paper examples and how to solve them, things seem easier.
Is it just a case of learning to pass the exam e.g doing paper after paper for the entire six weeks and getting better and better? Sorry for all the questions!!! 😕
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply:smile:))
No maths at that level since 1996. I can put in about 16 hours a week.
Not enough??? I've looked at the textbooks and there confusing as hell lol!!! I feel like I'm never going to be able to do it.
BUT when I look at the exam paper examples and how to solve them, things seem easier.
Is it just a case of learning to pass the exam e.g doing paper after paper for the entire six weeks and getting better and better? Sorry for all the questions!!! 😕

It's a bit odd that you're finding past papers easier than the textbook. Are there specific topics that confuse you?

You really do need to understand the material before attempting tha past papers. But if you're running out of time then maybe doing loads of past papers at least gives you a chance of getting a C/B.

It's really hard to advise here with only 6 weeks to go. Is there no way that you can wait a year?

I assume that you're registered for the exam in May?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all

Although you will be much more motivated to succeed this time around and that will certainly boost your chances, in my experience your goal isn't realistic. F to B in six weeks would challenge anyone and you don't mention any tuition support. Give it a go and see how you do but the November resit exams seem a bit more realistic and to be honest doing a free 1 year part time course leading to exams in 2017 offers the best chance to succeed. Note the maths specification for GCSE is changing and if you delay until summer 2017 you would have to prepare for the new specification. Talk to potential employers about whether achieving functional skills level 2 would be an acceptable alternative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks all😀 Yes it seems like a MEGA challenge. In my head I can do it but when I go to look at the course book, it all means nothing. The actual practise papers seem simpler I believe just because there is less info to take in...obviously the textbooks provide the answers to the info though!!!
I was thinking of doing say two or three pages of a practice paper everyday. Not moving on until I had worked them out and remembered the info. Working through the textbook in 6 weeks seems way too much and lots of info to take in.
I guess what I'm asking is if I can just train myself to pass the practice papers?!?
Thanks again for your input😉
Thanks all😀 Yes it seems like a MEGA challenge. In my head I can do it but when I go to look at the course book, it all means nothing. The actual practise papers seem simpler I believe just because there is less info to take in...obviously the textbooks provide the answers to the info though!!!
I was thinking of doing say two or three pages of a practice paper everyday. Not moving on until I had worked them out and remembered the info. Working through the textbook in 6 weeks seems way too much and lots of info to take in.
I guess what I'm asking is if I can just train myself to pass the practice papers?!?
Thanks again for your input😉

I don't want to squash your ambitions but I really don't think it is realistic to hope to obtain the grade you require in this short period of time from your current starting point without tuition. Sitting the exams in November would give you a better chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Note the maths specification for GCSE is changing and if you delay until summer 2017 you would have to prepare for the new specification.

An extra sitting of the old GCSE has just been approved for summer 2017.
Thanks for the reply😀What's the old GCSE? Also will this be the GCSE available to me in November 16? I think I may have just found a place to sit the exam in November!!!

Quick Reply