The Student Room Group

Applying for accommodations/informing uni of access needs when they're my insurance??

Am I supposed to only inform a uni's disability service of my access needs, accommodation needs etc if I've firmed them? I'm scared I won't meet my firm offer won't have the stuff I need in place at my insurance uni?!

:s-smilie:
Original post by redinthegrey
Am I supposed to only inform a uni's disability service of my access needs, accommodation needs etc if I've firmed them? I'm scared I won't meet my firm offer won't have the stuff I need in place at my insurance uni?!

:s-smilie:

There's no harm in informing them - where I used to work the whole timetable sometimes had to be reworked in the first week of term if a student arrived with mobility needs without prior warning. If they know in advance so that they know for sure in August then it gives everyone more time to make adjustments.

Very few students end up at their insurance choice (8% last year) - so it's a slim chance but it's worth notifying them. It means if things go wrong and you don't get the grades in August you have one less thing to worry about/arrange at a very stressful time.
Original post by PQ
There's no harm in informing them - where I used to work the whole timetable sometimes had to be reworked in the first week of term if a student arrived with mobility needs without prior warning. If they know in advance so that they know for sure in August then it gives everyone more time to make adjustments.

Very few students end up at their insurance choice (8% last year) - so it's a slim chance but it's worth notifying them. It means if things go wrong and you don't get the grades in August you have one less thing to worry about/arrange at a very stressful time.

I don't think I will get into my firm but I chose it anyway cos it's the only place I really want to go. :frown:
I don't think I will get into my firm but I chose it anyway cos it's the only place I really want to go. :frown:

The reason so few people end up at their insurance is because a lot more people get accepted with lower grades than students expect. Last year 41% of people accepted by their firm missed their prediction by 2 or more grades.

While there's no guarantees if you miss your offer conditions it's not all doom and gloom for most courses and universities.
Original post by PQ
The reason so few people end up at their insurance is because a lot more people get accepted with lower grades than students expect. Last year 41% of people accepted by their firm missed their prediction by 2 or more grades.

While there's no guarantees if you miss your offer conditions it's not all doom and gloom for most courses and universities.

Do you really think Warwick is going to accept somebody with no C in GCSE Maths? :frown: I'm retaking it but my class is so noisy that I can never concentrate, and I'm really bad at maths so self-teaching isn't really an option.I think I'm going to give in and look for a tutor but the exam is soon.
Do you really think Warwick is going to accept somebody with no C in GCSE Maths? :frown: I'm retaking it but my class is so noisy that I can never concentrate, and I'm really bad at maths so self-teaching isn't really an option.I think I'm going to give in and look for a tutor but the exam is soon.

have you looked on TSR for the revision guides and support available in the Maths forum? Even having an online study buddy to work with might help:smile:
It's definitely worth contacting them. The longer you can give anywhere to arrange adjustments for your needs, the more likely it is you'll get the best help. Depending on the uni's policy on applying for accommodation you may not be able to apply now but they should provide you with accommodation to suit your needs if it's a disability/access need even though they were your insurance choice.

I don't know if it's only more advanced stuff but Khan Academy on YouTube is really good for maths (might not cover GCSE though). But if not there'll be loads of stuff on YouTube to help you through. You can watch and re-watch bits. You might be able to find websites that will set you questions and tell you whether you answer is correct or not.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't know if it's only more advanced stuff but Khan Academy on YouTube is really good for maths (might not cover GCSE though). But if not there'll be loads of stuff on YouTube to help you through. You can watch and re-watch bits. You might be able to find websites that will set you questions and tell you whether you answer is correct or not.

I'm struggling with stuff at the end of the Edexcel Foundation maths papers :tongue: Tbh I think Higher might be a better option for me as I seemed to get a C on a Higher past paper (I say seemed cos it was me who marked it) and it requires you to have less diverse knowledge I think? But if it is I need to decide so I can be entered for a different exam..
I'm struggling with stuff at the end of the Edexcel Foundation maths papers :tongue: Tbh I think Higher might be a better option for me as I seemed to get a C on a Higher past paper (I say seemed cos it was me who marked it) and it requires you to have less diverse knowledge I think? But if it is I need to decide so I can be entered for a different exam..

You said you're in a class so presumably you have a teacher... Could you ask their advice? If I remember right the issue with higher papers is that if you don't get a C you don't get a grade (although it's been a few years since I did GCSEs) but you need a much higher percentage on a foundation paper to get a C than on a higher paper so if you can understand some of the B grade (or even above) stuff then there's more room for not understanding every bit of the C grade topics or making little mistakes.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You said you're in a class so presumably you have a teacher... Could you ask their advice? If I remember right the issue with higher papers is that if you don't get a C you don't get a grade (although it's been a few years since I did GCSEs) but you need a much higher percentage on a foundation paper to get a C than on a higher paper so if you can understand some of the B grade (or even above) stuff then there's more room for not understanding every bit of the C grade topics or making little mistakes.

Yeah I asked her and she said to show her evidence, e.g. a Higher past paper where I got a C along with a Foundation one where I got a D. So I need to produce that evidence as I didn't physically fill out the Higher paper I got a C in lol.

I can do some C and B number and statistics stuff but it was only the other week that I relearned how to find the size of an angle on a line (the questions where all you need to do is subtract a number from 180)! So my geometry is appalling
Yeah I asked her and she said to show her evidence, e.g. a Higher past paper where I got a C along with a Foundation one where I got a D. So I need to produce that evidence as I didn't physically fill out the Higher paper I got a C in lol.

I can do some C and B number and statistics stuff but it was only the other week that I relearned how to find the size of an angle on a line (the questions where all you need to do is subtract a number from 180)! So my geometry is appalling

Well then doing a couple of higher past papers would be a good idea. Can you get some from your teacher?
Have you asked anyone on the Maths forum on here for advice?

Going back to the original question - I agree with PQ and Smalltowngirl. I would inform your insurance just in case you do go. I saw your thread earlier and have say I wasn't too sure.

You don't have to inform; but it would be helpful I think.

Quick Reply

Latest