The Student Room Group

How could Golden Rice lead to a reduction in biodiversity?

surely it would do the opposite? It's a creation of a new species of rice.
Original post by manic.high.girl
surely it would do the opposite? It's a creation of a new species of rice.

But you need spaces for it to happen and where do you get that space?
Habitats
And by breaking habitats you reduce the survival chance of animals
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Habitats

even in the poor areas of Africa/south east Asia?
even in the poor areas of Africa/south east Asia?

yep if there's habitats and animals there it doesnt matter how rich or poor they are
yep if there's habitats and animals there it doesnt matter how rich or poor they are

there isn't, that's why there is starvation. I thought it would be to do with the GM crop cross-breeding with other rice species. but the book has that as two separate points.
there isn't, that's why there is starvation. I thought it would be to do with the GM crop cross-breeding with other rice species. but the book has that as two separate points.

Oh :/ im not sure then sorry
If the genetically engineered gene in golden rice gets into wild rice populations (through cross-breeding) this can reduce biodiversity. This can apply to all GM crops.
what's golden rice?

don't tell me it's golden :colonhash:
Habitats

Well they are going to grow the rice anyway. The argument is shall we augment the rice we grow with Vitamin A so that it saves children from dying due to Vitamin A deficiency? If anything GM is more efficient than conventional technology and thus if it's accepted there will be less pressure on land use.

Original post by Tarte Tatin
If the genetically engineered gene in golden rice gets into wild rice populations (through cross-breeding) this can reduce biodiversity. This can apply to all GM crops.

Sorry, but that's fundamentally incorrect. It's just another gene in a vast genome, how is it going to reduce biodiversity if another strain of rice has another gene in it? That's like saying all cross-breeding ever reduces biodiversity which is actually the opposite of what cross-breeding does. Also inbreeding is bad for biodiversity and for evolution- Have you not heard of inbreeding depression?

A couple of other things on the subject of biodiversity.

1. As I said above, GM technology = more efficient = less land space required = more land free for 'biodiversity'

2. GM technology can prevent use of pesticides and fertilisers = less harm to local ecosystems/less eutrophication = increased biodiversity

Original post by thefatone
what's golden rice?

don't tell me it's golden :colonhash:

Golden Rice is a rice variety which has been genetically engineered to synthesise beta-carotene which is a precursor of Vitamin A. In the parts of the world where golden rice is grown a lot of kids, especially under 5, die due to Vitamin A deficiency because their limited diets are not sufficient. As rice is a staple in their diet, if the rice synthesises the Vit A precursor then they will get their RDA through the rice and it will save a lot of lives.

Infact here is a quote from a site about the life-saving Golden Rice could do:

In 2012 the World Health Organization reported that about 250 million preschool children are affected by VAD, and that providing those children with vitamin A could prevent about a third of all under-five deaths, which amounts to up to 2.7 million children that could be saved from dying unnecessarily.

From this website: http://www.goldenrice.org/Content3-Why/why1_vad.php

^^^ I wrote on my blog about GM technology btw, and why the pseudo-science surrounding the topic is ridiculous and regressive.

I will link the posts here:

Disparity in Genetically Modified food regulations across the world

Why Greenpeace et al oppose Genetically Modified food
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't think why golden rice would reduce biodiversity above what agriculture does anyway.

A transgenic crop could in theory reduce biodiversity. For example one that expressed a pesticidal compound that was non-selective in what it killed.

That's why I'm confused. In arguments against golden rice, my book puts reduction of biodiversity and cross breeding as two separate points.
More vitamin a
Original post by Ethereal World
Well they are going to grow the rice anyway. The argument is shall we augment the rice we grow with Vitamin A so that it saves children from dying due to Vitamin A deficiency? If anything GM is more efficient than conventional technology and thus if it's accepted there will be less pressure on land use.

Sorry, but that's fundamentally incorrect. It's just another gene in a vast genome, how is it going to reduce biodiversity if another strain of rice has another gene in it? That's like saying all cross-breeding ever reduces biodiversity which is actually the opposite of what cross-breeding does. Also inbreeding is bad for biodiversity and for evolution- Have you not heard of inbreeding depression?

A couple of other things on the subject of biodiversity.

1. As I said above, GM technology = more efficient = less land space required = more land free for 'biodiversity'

2. GM technology can prevent use of pesticides and fertilisers = less harm to local ecosystems/less eutrophication = increased biodiversity

Golden Rice is a rice variety which has been genetically engineered to synthesise beta-carotene which is a precursor of Vitamin A. In the parts of the world where golden rice is grown a lot of kids, especially under 5, die due to Vitamin A deficiency because their limited diets are not sufficient. As rice is a staple in their diet, if the rice synthesises the Vit A precursor then they will get their RDA through the rice and it will save a lot of lives.

Infact here is a quote from a site about the life-saving Golden Rice could do:

From this website: http://www.goldenrice.org/Content3-Why/why1_vad.php

^^^ I wrote on my blog about GM technology btw, and why the pseudo-science surrounding the topic is ridiculous and regressive.

I will link the posts here:

Disparity in Genetically Modified food regulations across the world

Why Greenpeace et al oppose Genetically Modified food

Sorry, I think you're right and I didn't really understand it either; it's just what I read on a mark scheme somewhere, unless I misinterpreted it
That's why I'm confused. In arguments against golden rice, my book puts reduction of biodiversity and cross breeding as two separate points.

As someone else pointed out, I think this is wrong anyway, sorry.:frown:
...although it could be to do with the fact that lots of Golden Rice will be grown as it reduces vitamin A deficiency and other types of rice may be grown less, but I'm not really sure??
Sorry, I think you're right and I didn't really understand it either; it's just what I read on a mark scheme somewhere, unless I misinterpreted it

Nooo it's fine! I didn't mean to sound like condescending or anything.

Tbf what mark scheme was it ? A Level?

There is a lot of misunderstanding in GM technology and I didn't really understand any of it until I Was in the final year of my biology degree.
Original post by Ethereal World
Nooo it's fine! I didn't mean to sound like condescending or anything.

Tbf what mark scheme was it ? A Level?

There is a lot of misunderstanding in GM technology and I didn't really understand any of it until I Was in the final year of my biology degree.

Yeah it was an A-level mark scheme:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest