The Student Room Group

Is 'Tory' a derogatory term?

Is it a derogatory term for the Conservatives, or is it just another name for them, because I haven't known any other party that has another name.
I've personally always used it as a shortened name much like lib dems
Reply 2
No.
wat
ya bloody Tory
Reply 5
Non conservatives use it in derogatory fashion.
Conservatives use it with pride.
Reply 6
In my house, it is an insult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its origins can be traced back to the Tory supporters of King James in the late 1600s. They changed their name in 1830 to Conservatives, but 'Tory' stuck - probs because it's so much shorter.

I use it just because it's shorter and quicker to write in essays innit.
'Tory' is a derogatory word used originally against people who supported James II during the exclusion crisis of the 17th century. It's an old Irish term which means thief, bandit or outlaw. It was also used in the 1790s to describe those MPs who supported William Pitt and opposed the French revolution. The Tories of today are the political descendants of those people.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Its origins can be traced back to the Tory supporters of King James in the late 1600s. They changed their name in 1830 to Conservatives, but 'Tory' stuck - probs because it's so much shorter.

I use it just because it's shorter and quicker to write in essays innit.

But even Conservatives is short, where's the "and unionists" bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh it is! You would say, f***ing tori a** piece of s***, go rot in f***ing hell, ya lil biatch
Original post by Fractite
Is it a derogatory term for the Conservatives, or is it just another name for them, because I haven't known any other party that has another name.

Historically yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending