These questions are confusing. :s-smilie:
I basically don't know how to work out the answer... :redface:
Help me please someone!!! :colondollar:

x = 3m and y = 3n

Express in terms of x and y:
a) 3m+n
b) 32n

Thank you! :biggrin:

Okay, so you need to use this rules. ax×ay=ax+ya^x \times a^y = a^{x+y}. That is, if the 'bases' are the same and the powers different, when you multiply the two numbers, you add the powers.

Conversely, if you're adding the powers you can split ax+ya^{x+y} into axaya^x a^y. In this case, you're working with a=3a=3 - can you take it from here?

For the second part, you also need to make use of the fact that (ax)y=axy(a^x)^y = a^{xy}. So: (22)3=22×3=26(2^2)^3 = 2^{2\times 3} = 2^{6} for example. You can verify this yourself with a calculator.

In this case, we have 32n=(3n)23^{2n} = (3^n)^2.
Reply 2
Original post by RosaA

Here's a quick intuitive feel for ax×ay=ax+ya^x \times a^y = a^{x+y}. I'll do it with a=3a=3 here to make life simpler, but it works for any aa:

3x=3×3××3xtimes\displaystyle 3^x = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x \, \text{times}} and 3y=3×3××3ytimes3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{y \, \text{times}}

So:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} 3^x \times 3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x \, \text{times}} \times \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{y \, \text{times}} = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x+y \, \text{times}}\end{equation*}

You now have a product of xx 33's and yy 33's and there are x+yx+y threes being multiplied in total.

Hence

3^x \times 3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x+y\,\text{times}}\end{equation*} = 3^{x+y}

as expected.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RosaA

And here's a quick intuitive argument as to why (ax)y(a^x)^y is axya^{xy}, it'll use the other theorem we 'proved' above.

You're comfortable that ax×ay=ax+ya^x \times a^y = a^{x+y} now, I hope.

So, since: (ax)y=ax×ax××axytimes\displaystyle (a^x)^y = \underbrace{a^x \times a^x \times \cdots \times a^x}_{y \, \text{times}}

then we can simply add their powers:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} (a^x)^y = a^{\overbrace{x + x + \cdots + x}^{y \, \text{times}}} = a^{xy}\end{equation*}

Since x+x++xytimes\underbrace{x + x + \cdots + x}_{y \, \text{times}} (i.e: x added to itself y times) is just xyxy.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Okay, so you need to use this rules. ax×ay=ax+ya^x \times a^y = a^{x+y}. That is, if the 'bases' are the same and the powers different, when you multiply the two numbers, you add the powers.

Conversely, if you're adding the powers you can split ax+ya^{x+y} into axaya^x a^y. In this case, you're working with a=3a=3 - can you take it from here?

For the second part, you also need to make use of the fact that (ax)y=axy(a^x)^y = a^{xy}. So: (22)3=22×3=26(2^2)^3 = 2^{2\times 3} = 2^{6} for example. You can verify this yourself with a calculator.

In this case, we have 32n=(3n)23^{2n} = (3^n)^2.

Yup, that makes more sense now. :smile:
I didn't realise that if the "bases" are the same you could simply just add the powers like normal. I just need 2 get remember that now and I'll be fine. Thank you!

In terms of the second question, I understand it now.
I've just realised how simple it was *laughs*

I didn't occur to me to use any of the index laws :colondollar: -which was the issue, so thank you for going over them for me :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by RosaA
Yup, that makes more sense now. :smile:
I didn't realise that if the "bases" are the same you could simply just add the powers like normal. I just need 2 get remember that now and I'll be fine. Thank you!

In terms of the second question, I understand it now.
I've just realised how simple it was *laughs*

I didn't occur to me to use any of the index laws :colondollar: -which was the issue, so thank you for going over them for me :biggrin:

Haha, no problem - I wrote all of that in seperate posts so I can link back to this thread when other people have the same questions instead of me having to type it up all over again, hope you didn't mind! :smile:

Glad that helped!! :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Haha, no problem - I wrote all of that in seperate posts so I can link back to this thread when other people have the same questions instead of me having to type it up all over again, hope you didn't mind! :smile:

Glad that helped!! :h:

That's fine by me - :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RosaA
That's fine by me - :smile:

Awesome. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest