The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear

No care in the world :u:
I am also looking to travel alone this summer.

However, I do hope to make some new friends, so I hope I won't always be alone :smile:
Original post by Lambert87
Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

my mum went travelling around america alone
my nan went travelling around the caribbean and italy by herself also

not strange at all
Reply 43
Original post by Shawdowd
Hmm, yes. If I saw someone on holiday on their own I would think that you were a sad and pathetic human being, and defiantly avoid you. Don't go. (unless you're 50+) - in which case you should remove yourself from the student room.
Regards, Shawdowd.

You're a charming human being aren't you?
Not at all. My brother swears by travelling alone because it means you can do the things you want to do, and can change your plans last minute without upsetting anyone. If you're worried that you might get lonely, you could stay at hostels, or get tickets for one of those hop on hop off bus tours where you can get to know your other travellers (and change your plans to match theirs without much fuss if you want to). It's actually easier to make friends on holiday if you're not with people you already know.
no :smile:
Original post by queen-bee
No care in the world :u:

i got you an ice cream bee

Original post by the bear
i got you an ice cream bee

I don't like vanilla. Could I have chocolate please ?
Reply 48
What about holidaying at Christmas/NY alone?

I will be all alone this year... No family to go to etc?

here we are sweetie... don't get it on your swimsuit :mmm:

A great idea to go alone, and you can also meet loads of people if you know what to look for, you could try to couchsurf or at least go to some couchsurfing or language exchange events organized in the cities that you visit - there are loads of suche events where I live. You just go there and there are dozens of people who will be glad to have a pleasant conversation with you and have fun. :smile:
What about holidaying at Christmas/NY alone?

I will be all alone this year... No family to go to etc?

Not the kind of holiday you,will be thinking about but have you considered cruising . A lot of people go cruising on there own and it is really easy to make frii ends while cruising as they have lone traveller act it's . You will also get to see sights but it is quite expensive :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Larissa14
Not the kind of holiday you,will be thinking about but have you considered cruising . A lot of people go cruising on there own and it is really easy to make frii ends while cruising as they have lone traveller act it's . You will also get to see sights but it is quite expensive :smile:

That is a brilliant idea
That is a brilliant idea

I would recommend that before you go anywhere, you make a list of museums and places you want to go. That'll help you stay as busy (or not) as you want to be! I'm from NY so feel free to hit me up for suggestions.
That is a brilliant idea

Thank you, I cruise too much but never on my own.
Some cruise ships like princess have anytime dining in where you are basically put on a table with strangers unless you request to be with a group or a couple. The people on the table will change everyday so it's a good way of meeting new people!
Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something with plenty of activities where you can explore and meet new people.
If you like the idea of a solo activity holiday check these guys out.

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/

It was a bit wild when I went on one so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to quietly relax somewhere.
Hi all,

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I was hesitant about doing so for a long time, but at the beginning of last month I went to Helsinki for five days on my lonesome. It was nice. I did my own thing on my own schedule. It was nice to get away.
There is an argument for travelling on your own. Do it. You may enjoy it.
Hi all,

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear of the split. Time for the fresh start to begin! I'd say about the holidaying alone thing is to just go for it, I read this and thought if i was you - id say just find somewhere you've been yearning to go and explore the inch and breath of it. Gets quite addictive knowing you're free to do what you want without considering someone else :smile: Enjoy & send us a postcard!

Otherwise I'd recommend you go on a sort of hop on/off trip where you meet new people along the way whilst seeing the sights and do it alone if you feel being in the group thing too full on.

But being alone you get to do your own thing and your pace. As the kids say these days YOLO! (Sorry!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest