The Student Room Group

Advice please... On a first class degree

I am starting my computer science course in September in the University of Chester or Salford. My grades didn't come through yet. I am predicted D*D*D*. However, what I want to ask is how hard is to get a first class degree. I really do want to get a first class in my bachelor degree. Also, I am very dedicated to this subject. What does it take to get a first class degree?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Just the basic advice worked for me - turn up to all your lectures, make notes, practise your programming outside of your normal assignments and start your revision early.
Reply 2
- First year should be a breeze:
If you don't have much background knowledge on programming and other theoretical aspects of CompSci, you might struggle a little.

-Second year tends to be the hardest:
The workload increases x100, you'll have project after project and exam after exam. Don't slack in anything or you'll fall far behind.

I'm still completing my second year so I can't comment on 3rd year. However, CompSci isn't about graduating with a first... Its more about what you gain and how you can contribute to the growing tech market.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you I am already practicing C++ in my own time at home. I will be doing C# and SQL after I finish with C++. Hopefully these languages will give me a head start. Is there any other subjects I should touch on other than programming?
Thank you again
Reply 4
Original post by naser1998x
Thank you I am already practicing C++ in my own time at home. I will be doing C# and SQL after I finish with C++. Hopefully these languages will give me a head start. Is there any other subjects I should touch on other than programming?
Thank you again

It depends on the university you're applying to.

Programming:
Java, SQL / SQLite, C++

Theory:
Depends on the uni you're applying to.

Just focus on the coding for now and you're sorted.
Not hard. Just make some effort, ie, attend lectures, study a bit everyday, etc. I barely showed up to lectures and always revised last minute. Got a high 2.1 (67%) - with a mental illness. Believe it or not, I would have gotten a 1st on credits alone if I'd showed up to more lab sessions during my dissertation.
Reply 6
Ok so guys you're basically telling me from your own personal experience that to keep consistent on my programming in my own time. Study hard and attend lectures. Take notes of course and just study hard throughout the whole 3 years. I thoughout you have to be the next level genius to get a first.
One last question please, how hard are the exams? haha
Thanks again guys
Ok so guys you're basically telling me from your own personal experience that to keep consistent on my programming in my own time. Study hard and attend lectures. Take notes of course and just study hard throughout the whole 3 years. I thoughout you have to be the next level genius to get a first.
One last question please, how hard are the exams? haha
Thanks again guys

That's dependent on the course and university. Uni exams aren't standard like A Levels.

But as you'll be studying one subject for 3 years, and as the modules will inevitably overlap, you probably won't find Uni exams as hard as you found A levels (assuming you did A levels).
Reply 8
Thank you @Iamyourfather that helped a lot. Would you mind telling me what was your experience with exams like when you went to university
Thank you @Iamyourfather that helped a lot. Would you mind telling me what was your experience with exams like when you went to university

The exams questions were relatively straightforward and could easily be aced if a person showed up to lectures and revision classes.

(It seems the hardest part of Uni might be showing up to it, lol.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I understand thank you for your help!
Original post by Iamyourfather
Not hard. Just make some effort, ie, attend lectures, study a bit everyday, etc. I barely showed up to lectures and always revised last minute. Got a high 2.1 (67%) - with a mental illness. Believe it or not, I would have gotten a 1st on credits alone if I'd showed up to more lab sessions during my dissertation.

So it's not hard, yet you failed to do it?
Original post by anonwinner
So it's not hard, yet you failed to do it?

Pretty facile response but pretty predictable so I'll answer.

I got a first in my first and second year. Third year, in hindsight, was easier than second year but I suffered from depression and anxiety. I missed 90% of my lectures and 60% of my lab sessions for my dissertation. But that was personal. If I was in a better state of mind I would have gotten a first without having to break much of a sweat.

67% is a pretty damn good mark for something who didn't work very hard. I ended up getting 68% in my dissertation (a dissertation I, hand on heart, spent just a day doing). I would have gotten a first class degree (2 more marks, literally) if I just showed up to all my lab sessions - no real intellect needed to walk out of your front door. I was just unlucky. I wasn't in a good place, which is clear if you look at my transcript.

Difficulty of a course is relative, and probably dependent on how good you are at it. As for my exams and coursework, the content itself wasn't hard (expect Bioinformatics which I somehow managed to get a first in). Questions were clear and answerable provided you followed of rules of attending lectures, attending revision classes and studied consistently. However, regardless of difficulty, you'll reap the grade you sow if you don't work hard. My Oxbridge friends say the same thing.

If you want a first so damn bad, follow the rules. Attend class classes, study everyday, ask teachers for questions and don't, I beg, suffer and silence like I did.

Superficial marks don't dictate your intellect or prove you'll be successful. Despite "only getting a 2.1", I've managed to do more impressive things than my peers who got firsts. Grades right now seem like the be-all and end-all but don't sweat if you don't get a first. You'll learn to realise that it's not a big deal; people who get firsts are ordinary people and people who get firsts aren't necessarily first class graduates.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why did you not apply for Liverpool Uni with D*D*D*? It's the best Uni in the North West for Computing isn't it?
Reply 14
To be honest my GCSE grades were not that great because of many reasons and I regret that and Liverpool expectations for GCSE grades are pretty high in comparison to my GCSE.
Reply 15
Sorry I must ask this. Have you heard of people being perfectionists? If yes do you think they will survive in university? @Iamyourfather
Sorry I must ask this. Have you heard of people being perfectionists? If yes do you think they will survive in university? @Iamyourfather

Of course. Surely that's a good thing? You want your work to be perfect and will put in a lot of effort to make it so. I guess my tip for perfectionists would be to not fixate on coursework/exams once it's finished. Move on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Ah, I understand. You know you got me scared for a second when you said you went through some depression or anxiety. Because as a perfectionist I have to deal with this everyday, specifically stress. So I am unsure how well I will do in uni because these things can be hard to deal with haha @Iamyourfather
Reply 18

Look, a first will win you half the battle. You still need:

1) Industrial experience. This is important experience...
2) Creativity. You can either become a robot who just codes all day, or you can invent / innovate with creativity and passion.
3) Projects. Companies would like to see the projects you've made. Think of ideas and make them. It gives everyone an idea of your capabilities and creativity.
4) When you start work, you'll realise that there is still A LOT of things you don't know about.

P.S. My 3rd year accounts to 60% of my degree. So, If I get a 2:1 first year, 2:1 second year and 75% 3rd year, ill get a first.

It depends on your uni bud.
Reply 19
Original post by Iamyourfather
Pretty facile response but pretty predictable so I'll answer.

I got a first in my first and second year. Third year, in hindsight, was easier than second year but I suffered from depression and anxiety. I missed 90% of my lectures and 60% of my lab sessions for my dissertation. But that was personal. If I was in a better state of mind I would have gotten a first without having to break much of a sweat.

67% is a pretty damn good mark for something who didn't work very hard. I ended up getting 68% in my dissertation (a dissertation I, hand on heard, spent just a day doing). I would have gotten a first class degree (2 more marks, literally) if I just showed up to all my lab sessions - no real intellect needed to walk out of your front door. I was just unlucky. I wasn't in a good place, which is clear if you look at my transcript.

Difficulty of a course is relative, and probably dependent on how good you are at it. As for my exams and coursework, the content itself wasn't hard (expect, Bioinformatics which I somehow managed to get a first in). Questions were clear and answerable provided you followed of rules of attending lectures, attending revision classes and studying consistently. However, regardless of difficulty, you'll reap the grade you sow if you don't work hard. My Oxbridge friends say the same thing.

If you want a first so damn bad, follow the rules. Attend class classes, study everyday, ask teachers for questions and don't, I beg, suffer and silence like I did.

Superficial marks don't dictate your intellect or prove you'll be successful. Despite "only getting a 2.1", I've managed to do more impressive things than my peers who got firsts. Grades right now seem like the be-all and end-all but don't sweat if you don't get a first. You'll learn to realise that it's not a big deal; people who get firsts are ordinary people and people who get firsts aren't necessarily first class graduates.

What uni did you attend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending