The Student Room Group

Hardest C1 solomon paper?

Hi guys today I am going to do a hard C1 Solomon paper - I have been getting full marks on the actual papers but they've not been very testing so far, I wondered which of the solomon papers is the hardest one and the one best for testing my knowledge? Many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Paper A and paper E, if I remember well.
Reply 2
Original post by M14B
Paper A and paper E, if I remember well.

Awesome thanks buddy!
Original post by iMacJack
Hi guys today I am going to do a hard C1 Solomon paper - I have been getting full marks on the actual papers but they've not been very testing so far, I wondered which of the solomon papers is the hardest one and the one best for testing my knowledge? Many thanks!

There isn't a lot of difference between the actual papers and the solomon ones. Try something like this http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_c1_practice_papers.html
Reply 4

If you've been doing well so far, maybe it's time to drop the module for a bit and go focus on your other modules/subjects instead of finding more papers to do for this one. Food for thought.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
If you've been doing well so far, maybe it's time to drop the module for a bit and go focus on your other modules/subjects instead of finding more papers to do for this one. Food for thought.

yeah I understand but I've not done any C1 for around a week and a half so I thought it'd be best to do one difficult paper to make sure I'm still good with it ygm? I've done a lot of C2 and S1 as well in which I'm scoring very highly too but I'm not going to be silly and neglect C1!
Reply 6
yeah I understand but I've not done any C1 for around a week and a half so I thought it'd be best to do one difficult paper to make sure I'm still good with it ygm? I've done a lot of C2 and S1 as well in which I'm scoring very highly too but I'm not going to be silly and neglect C1!

Yeah, fair enough. I haven't done FP3 in about a month, thanks for reminding me. :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, fair enough. I haven't done FP3 in about a month, thanks for reminding me. :lol:

Haha well you're welcome I guess :smile:

Cheers, I shall be getting on with the paper now.
Reply 8
Cheers, I shall be getting on with the paper now.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Good luck!

Very rushed paper (solomon E) because I wanted to get on and do a C2 paper. 74/75, dropped one mark on a 'line of symmetry' question. I need to quickly go over the answer to that as I'm not too sure (it's really simple probably)

https://gyazo.com/8bf50e339e749938bff190103f64a679

Part B, could you give a small explanation please? Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Very rushed paper (solomon E) because I wanted to get on and do a C2 paper. 74/75, dropped one mark on a 'line of symmetry' question. I need to quickly go over the answer to that as I'm not too sure (it's really simple probably)

https://gyazo.com/8bf50e339e749938bff190103f64a679

Part B, could you give a small explanation please? Thank you :smile:

The line of symmetry of a quadratic is x=x coordinte of turning pointx = \text{x coordinte of turning point} - this makes intuitive sense from a quick sketch: (I picked a random quadratic):

As you can see the quadratic is symmetric about the line x=1x=1 which happens to be the turning point of the quadratic.

So in your case, you've just completed the square and you can read off the x coordinate of the turning point of the quadratic there, so what's your line of symmetry?
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
The line of symmetry of a quadratic is x=x coordinte of turning pointx = \text{x coordinte of turning point} - this makes intuitive sense from a quick sketch: (I picked a random quadratic):

As you can see the quadratic is symmetric about the line x=1x=1 which happens to be the turning point of the quadratic.

So in your case, you've just completed the square and you can read off the x coordinate of the turning point of the quadratic there, so what's your line of symmetry?

Ahhhh I see thanks, the complete the square form was:

2(x-1)^2 - 1

So it's X=1 right?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 13
Ahhhh I see thanks, the complete the square form was:

2(x-1)^2 - 1

So it's X=1 right?

Cheers :smile:

Yep! :yep:
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Yep! :yep:

Cheers mate, I would rep you but it doesn't let me because I've repped you so much! Good explanation - appreciated
Reply 15
Cheers mate, I would rep you but it doesn't let me because I've repped you so much! Good explanation - appreciated

Don't worry about it! :-)
Reply 16
i got 74/75 as well but i forgot to write the whole equation for C lol
Reply 17

What did u guys get in c1 and maths overall ums?
Reply 18
Original post by Aezaz
What did u guys get in c1 and maths overall ums?

C1 100 UMS
C2 100 UMS
S1 99 UMS

299/300 UMS for normal AS maths
C1 100 UMS
C2 100 UMS
S1 99 UMS

299/300 UMS for normal AS maths

If you dont mind me asking what did you do to revise for each of your exams. At the moment I have done all the c1 and c2 past papers and solomon papers. What could I be doing next?😀

Quick Reply

Latest