The Student Room Group

Are the fee status as stated on my offer letter final?

I received an offer and my fee status was classified as "Home". Is this assessment final? Or would they ask for any other documents?

What are the chances of them making a typo or a mistake?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by britskisch
I received an offer and my fee status was classified as "Home". Is this assessment final? Or would they ask for any other documents?

What are the chances of them making a typo or a mistake?

It's official but not necessarily final. You need to speak to your university to find out if your fee classification is final or not.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It's official but not necessarily final. You need to speak to your university to find out if your fee classification is final or not.

Thank you for replying. To be honest the stated fee status is advantageous for me. Would they change it halfway through my course of study...?
Reply 3
Thank you for replying. To be honest the stated fee status is advantageous for me. Would they change it halfway through my course of study...?

Theoretically, yes. Especially if Student Finance reach a different decision. If the uni thinks you've tried to defraud them, they can withdraw you from your degree. Best to get it sorted out up front so that doesn't hang over you for three years.

What makes you think you might not be a Home student?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I wouldn't push it if it's advantageous, but research whether or nor it's locked in for the entirety of your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
Theoretically, yes. Especially if Student Finance reach a different decision. If the uni thinks you've tried to defraud them, they can withdraw you from your degree. Best to get it sorted out up front so that doesn't hang over you for three years.

What makes you think you might not be a Home student?

Thank you for your reply! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I didn't get a notification..

Anyway, I don't know if it would classify as me defrauding them. I didn't notice it until my mom pointed it out.

Funny thing is, on the same piece of paper, they said that I will need to submit the right documents to get a UK student visa...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Assan
I wouldn't push it if it's advantageous, but research whether or nor it's locked in for the entirety of your degree.

Thank you, Assan!
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I didn't get a notification..

Anyway, I don't know if it would classify as me defrauding them. I didn't notice it until my mom pointed it out.

Funny thing is, on the same piece of paper, they said that I will need to submit the right documents to get a UK student visa...

Why do you think you might not be a Home student?

The mention of a student visa seems odd - those are for International students.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
Why do you think you might not be a Home student?

The mention of a student visa seems odd - those are for International students.

Because I am an international student :/ I should probably clarify this with the uni shouldn't I..
Because I am an international student :/ I should probably clarify this with the uni shouldn't I..

Fees status depends on residency- usually you need to have been resident in the UK for three years to qualify as a home student. I think circumstances exist where it's possible to have been resident for three years and still need a student visa, especially if you were previously listed as a dependent on your parents' visa. If you've just turned 18/just about to turn 18, it's possible your visa status could change this year anyway.

If you're at all confused, I would suggest contacting the university or UKCISA may be able to advise you: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending