The Student Room Group

Muslim doctor calls killing homosexuals "compassionate"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Virgili

I never justified murder just pointed out it's not any different to trial by assault / castration / imprisonment and arguably a hanging hurts less than being stabbed

The problem is you are trying to compare yesterday's Britain with today's Islam (which is essentially identical to seventh century Arabia).
Original post by Good bloke
The problem is you are trying to compare yesterday's Britain with today's Islam (which is essentially identical to seventh century Arabia).

While some still live in the Britain they criticise and collect the money from the Government they condemn.
It's okay people, he's a Muslim.

Arab world today is not that similiar to how it was in seventh century Arabia, this is one of those things educated people seem to believe but is actually destroyed on closer analysis. For a start fundamentalist Islam is fairly new and the original practioners had lots of different interpreations and views which were openly discussed in Arabia (including on homosexuality) - I am in no way saying that most did not frown upon this practice, but seventh century Arabia was definitely a completely different place in terms of wealth and tolerance.

One of the reasons early Muslim conquerors refused to preach fundamentalist Islam was due to religious pluralism and fearing making the same mistakes many other empires made to impose Christianity which had led to their destruction.
(edited 8 years ago)
the vast and overwhelming majority of muslims are homophobes, and I don't just mean people who don't like gay people or gay marriage - it's a matter of belief that their god wants them dead.
Original post by Virgili
Arab world today is not that similiar to how it was in seventh century Arabia,.

Modern Arabia is a damn sight nearer seventh century Arabia than modern Britain is to seventh century Britain, and far, far nearer the seventh century than the twenty-first.
Original post by Virgili
Post in the physics section if you want, google will tell you it's an oblate spheroid but it is actually an elipsoid, they're not very different but they're certainly not spheres because they aren't perfectly round, and it is not pedantic because it is very important in mathematics to make calculations.

You seem to be confused. First you denied it's an oblate spheroid now you admit it's an oblate spheroid. And yet you are lecturing me about accuracy?

It's obviously a complete waste of time to debate with you. You are resorting to the basest rhetorical tactics to make a hollow and worthless point. It's embarrassing that you would try to compare my colloquial description of the earth as a sphere to belief in a flat earth, but it does show your dishonesty.

Your point is also incoherent in that the fact that ancient people believed the earth was flat and believed based on their flawed but internally consistent understanding of science has no actual bearing on a justification for Muslims in the modern world holding to such a belief, in spite of the fact evidence to the contrary is ubiquitously available, and doing so based on religious justifications (which they do; the belief of fundamentalist Muslims in a flat earth is based on religious texts)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
You seem to be confused. First you denied it's an oblate spheroid now you admit it's an oblate spheroid. And yet you are lecturing me about accuracy?

It's obviously a complete waste of time to debate with you. You are resorting to the basest rhetorical tactics to make a hollow and worthless point. It's embarrassing that you would try to compare my colloquial description of the earth as a sphere to belief in a flat earth, but it does show your dishonesty.

Your point is also incoherent in that the fact that ancient people believed the earth was flat has no actual bearing on a justification for Muslims in the modern world holding to such a belief, in spite of the fact evidence to the contrary is ubiquitously available, and doing so based on religious justifications (which they do; the belief of fundamentalist Muslims in a flat earth is based on religious texts)

Post in physics section? No? Ok then we're done.

Modern Arabia is a damn sight nearer seventh century Arabia than modern Britain is to seventh century Britain, and far, far nearer the seventh century than the twenty-first.

Seventh century Arabia is closer to Britain than modern Arabia, if only for practical purposes the early Caliphate had no state religion for fear local pagans and Christians would revolt as many subjects had done to the Byzantine and other empires. Modern Arabia is broken due to corruption, ignorance and colonialism which has left a gap for the idiots to get into. Wahhabism is a modern invention.
Game over.

Nothing more needs to be said.
Original post by queen-bee
Lol Muslims don't even celebrate Christmas. Why must focus particularly on Islam tho? Abit obsessive or do we need a scapegoat for everything wrong in life ?

Well other religions are not advocating the things that will destroy the liberties we have built up, and nor do they express such contempt for us.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Well other religions are not advocating the things that will destroy the liberties we have built up, and nor do they express such contempt for us.

Well with the exception of fascists and communists... Religions in there own right though tbh.
Original post by Attempt
Game over.

Nothing more needs to be said.

It's so sad that people think this is the reasoned view, Islam has existed for over 1000 years and there is an enormous amount of history, art, and science behind it, it's not just a case of one person believing one thing or one billion people believing one thing, there are lots of different beliefs, it's partly why there's so much conflict. Even different Caliphate leaders varied as much as different Popes or political leaders, you can't just put everyone under one stroke some leaders were extreme interpreters of Islam, others were more moderate, some were ruthless and stoned thousands, others were more tolerant.
Original post by Virgili
It's so sad that people think this is the reasoned view, Islam has existed for over 1000 years and there is an enormous amount of history, art, and science behind it, it's not just a case of one person believing one thing or one billion people believing one thing, there are lots of different beliefs, it's partly why there's so much conflict. Even different Caliphate leaders varied as much as different Popes or political leaders, you can't just put everyone under one stroke some leaders were extreme interpreters of Islam, others were more moderate.

Are you really gonna talk about Islamic history or the Islamic contributions to Science?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay.
Original post by Attempt
Are you really gonna talk about Islamic history or the Islamic contributions to Science?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay.

I don't even know why I bother, clearly not a brain in that head to convince.

If you're actually interested go google the first caliph, it's a fascinating continent with many wars and good / bad people like any other, but some of us would rather just gloat in ignorance and pretend we know thing instead of actually taking an interest in them.
Original post by Virgili
Post in physics section? No? Ok then we're done.

We were already done given you were babbling incoherently and were incapable of admitting your mistake

We were already done given you were babbling incoherently and were incapable of admitting your mistake

Here's the essay I pulled the quote from earlier
http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Read it you might actually learn something about science
Original post by Virgili

Read it you might actually learn something about science

Says the guy who was telling us that there is an argument to be made for the flat earth :lol:
Original post by Virgili
I don't even know why I bother, clearly not a brain in that head to convince.

If you're actually interested go google the first caliph, it's a fascinating continent with many wars and good / bad people like any other, but some of us would rather just gloat in ignorance and pretend we know thing instead of actually taking an interest in them.

I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

In the sense that anyone who takes the religion seriously gets transported back to the 7th century, where ideas of the earth being flat and the urine of camels being medicinal weren't completely out of order.
Says the guy who was telling us that there is an argument to be made for the flat earth :lol:

You didn't have time to read it, proving my point again you're not actually interested in learning.

There was an argument to be made for flat earth 2,000 years ago, based on science instead of religious argument. That's where it comes from in the Quran, it's not right, but it's not stupidity either. Saying it today is stupid I agree (which is why I never did), but it's wrong and dishonest to say they believed it for religious reasons.
Original post by Attempt
I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

In the sense that anyone who takes the religion seriously gets transported back to the 7th century, where ideas of the earth being flat and the urine of camels being medicinal weren't completely out of order.

Studying Abrahamic thelogy for half a decade, oh look at you reading your Dawkins books not taking any interest in actual history and now pretending you are some scholar. You could at least take an interest in the wars and conflict of the period but the fact you put everything into one bubble and think every Muslim believes one thing shows you haven't learned a single thing about its history.

I can quote a lot of nonsensical European ideas of the period as well does that invalidate Maxwell's equations?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending