The Student Room Group

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
"It was just banter".

Seriously though the culprit(s) should be banned permanently from University education.

During my first year at Uni these 3 knob heads took shits on top of the toilet and wrecked the kitchen 4 times and got nothing.

Racism has no place in society.

What does shitting on top of toilets have to do with racism?

Original post by tcameron
Who are you to dictate what is distressing to people and what isn't??
No one knows the back story of this and should therefore not state how she should or should not have reacted.
The fact that you're judging her as being a b**** from one photo makes you sound like a complete prick tbh
Racism should not be brushed under the carpet - it happens and no matter how 'minor' it may be it's still unaccepatable and should not be taking lightly just because it's the 21st century.

What is more distressing, do you suppose? Having a thing written on a banana about you or having your education and future ruined?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Honestly can't say I'm too surprised that this happened. This is the kind of thing that should kick up a shitstorm and not all those irrelevant non issues.

Racism needs to end.

One incident of racism should 'kick up a shitstorm'?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Gee I dunno :gah:

Spoiler

This is the best post you've ever made.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
That's unfortunate. How did they know those were her bananas?

She was putting her shopping away in the morning when her flatmates were in the common room, it's adjoined to the kitchen and completely within view.

Disgusting behaviour, I'd be inclined the kick the **** out of them. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
What does shitting on top of toilets have to do with racism?

What is more distressing, do you suppose? Having a thing written on a banana about you or having your education and future ruined?

Well whoever did it has no one to blame but themselves - maybe next time they'll learn that racism isn't a joking matterHopefully other's will learn as well
Original post by DiddyDec
Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Repeat after me: "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing..."
Reply 26
Original post by DiddyDec
Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are forever an incorrigible hardass.
It's why I like you.

Anyway, To be honest I think the reaction was a bit disproportionate to the incident (the petition to sack Warwick officials or something). I asked some of my friends and the general consensus was that she should have just eaten the bananas and left the peels in the cultprits room, then report it to the SU

Original post by an_atheist
Just going by the provided image of the woman being insulted, she looks like a total bitch who is difficult to live around.
And as Diddy is saying, having a racial slur thrown at you is not 'distressing'. Its upsetting for the victim and rude, but not to the extent that she is making it out to be.

Original post by Lacesso
Wouldn't be surprised if she wrote it herself. That's the kind of **** people do for attention and sympathy.

Quite cynical aren't we? :holmes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by NickLCFC
One incident of racism should 'kick up a shitstorm'?

Would you rather the gap ad shitstorm or the Rhodes statue shitstorn? This is a genuine case of racism and though I think the petition and blaming Warwick uni was a bit much but shaming the culprit and letting people know that this kind of **** happens is important.
While I do agree that it may be a bit too far for her to label this sitiation as "distressing" The whole situation was really weird, like how can your own flat mates do something like that? They clearly had no fear in them what so ever :redface:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Repeat after me: "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing..."

No.
Reply 30
Original post by loveleest
While I do agree that it may be a bit too far for her to label this sitiation as "distressing" The whole situation was really weird, like how can your own flat mates do something like that? They clearly had no fear in them what so ever :redface:

Lol if they tried it here in Nigeria they'd regret the day they were born. :rofl:
Original post by StrawbAri
You are forever an incorrigible hardass.
It's why I like you.

Thanks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

You're welcome
Reply 33
And we know this is racism how exactly?

It's a common trope that monkeys and other primates like bananas, maybe they were just writing on it 'Monkey' as is 'Monkey's banana'. I'm not even trying to play 'Devil's advocate' I think this is seriously what has happened.

Is Donkey Kong racist for eating bananas in the Mario series of games?
Is the monkey from the PG Tips advert racist?
Is the children's song 5 little monkeys racist too?

Some people will always search for racism when it doesn't exist.
Original post by Roofas

It's a common trope that monkeys and other primates like bananas, maybe they were just writing on it 'Monkey' as is 'Monkey's banana'. I'm not even trying to play 'Devil's advocate' I think this is seriously what has happened.

And n**** written on the other banana?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i was her I would set the pr1ck on fire
I agree that sometimes racism is overplayed in society (RE that GAP advert with '''''passive racism'''''''') but this was certainly a racist event.

I don't know why so many of you in this thread are trying to make this out to be a non-issue. I agree she's over-exaggerated it without doubt, but nevertheless **** like this shouldn't be happening in a seemingly "progressive" country like the UK.

I certainly hope this isn't something she's done herself and made up, which'd be even more disgusting.
I bet she wrote on the bananas herself.
Reply 38
Original post by Roofas

Not sure if you've read the article.
Yes we know that some rasicim stories are overplayed but this one is a genuine spiteful act.
No one is trying to claim all white people are racists and we do not even know if the culprit is white.
Don't try to brush things like this under the carpet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3

Bit racist

I think you will find that what I have said isn't racist at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending