The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bookworm21
Man GCSEs seem a long time ago now...

9A*s and 2As (curse you Eng Lang&Lit! :smile: )

A-levels are much more important, having been through the uni application process the placed I applied to and visited didn't really care about GCSEs, certainly not in comparison to AS and predicted A2.

That said these days without AS exams your GCSEs may be the only 'proof' of academic exam performance for them to go on.

Yeah true, what exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise?
Original post by FusionNetworks
5A*'s, 3A's, 3 B's

Nice what did you get individually?
2A*s, 4As, 2Bs and 1C

Spoiler

Could have been better :/ A bunch of those As could have been easily pushed up to A*s (and so forth for the rest of the grades), but I broke down.

My best piece of advice? You're not a robot - please don't think that you'll be able to revise efficiently every day for hours on end without breaks in between. :lolwut:
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey,
There did you work really hard? How much did you revise?
Very well done though :smile:

Not as hard as I am for A levels :angry: but I worked quite hard.
During the year I was busy with Art & Catering coursework most of the time which required a lot of effort.

With other subjects I worked really hard nearer exam time.
So around about this time last year I was doing loads of maths past papers (gold, silver & bronze) that our teacher set us.
As well as making plenty of notes for science and doing past papers.

For English lit it was cramming essay plans & quotes the weekend before the exam. I HATE ENGLISH :frown: and Language was just reading over what to do on each question. This was so stressful as you can't really revise for it, but it ended up being my best!

Languages I found easy to pick up so reading a vocab list or something before the exam is good to get your head in the right mindset.
RE was just making stuff up and knowing some quotes in other religions but really you could just make them up.
Original post by LeFeuilly
2A*s, 4As, 2Bs and 1C

Spoiler

Could have been better :/ A bunch of those As could have been easily pushed up to A*s (and so forth for the rest of the grades), but I broke down.

My best piece of advice? You're not a robot - please don't think that you'll be able to revise efficiently every day for hours on end without breaks in between. :lolwut:

Lol true, what did you get individually?
Original post by zXcodeXz
Yeah true, what exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise?

EDEXCEL, basically just did metric tonnes of past papers. Seemed to work fine, does get repetitive by the time the stack reaches a foot high...
I got 12 A*s.

My advice is to try and figure out different revision techniques for each subject as each one will have different methods that will work best. E.g with English Lit I just planned loads of essays whereas with maths I made sure I knew how to do each thing.

I did further maths which was really hard being in year 11. The only reason I got an A* was because I went through the whole textbook the weekend before. I know that seems like cramming but it really wasn't; most people didn't even revise for it as it was stupidly hard!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, GCSEs are not impossible and you'll be surprised on results day if you have worked hard
Lol true, what did you get individually?

A*s in History and English Lang, As in Drama, Spanish, English Lit and DA Science, Bs in Maths and ICT (lol), and a C in Business

I suppose it all works out in the end as the subjects I'm taking at IB are all on the A* and A spectrum of things :smile:
And, whoops, forgot to put this in but good luck!
A*'s in Chem. Phys. Bio., Maths, I.T.
A's in Economics, History & R.S.
B's in English lit&lang and Spanish lel
Good luck with your exams!
Nice what did you get individually?
Original post by bookworm21
EDEXCEL, basically just did metric tonnes of past papers. Seemed to work fine, does get repetitive by the time the stack reaches a foot high...

Yeah lol
Original post by LeFeuilly
A*s in History and English Lang, As in Drama, Spanish, English Lit and DA Science, Bs in Maths and ICT (lol), and a C in Business

I suppose it all works out in the end as the subjects I'm taking at IB are all on the A* and A spectrum of things :smile:

Ok thanks and good luck to you too!
It was Edexcel. Which one are you doing?
Original post by FusionNetworks
A*'s in Chem. Phys. Bio., Maths, I.T.
A's in Economics, History & R.S.
B's in English lit&lang and Spanish lel
Good luck with your exams!

How did you get an A* in maths?
Original post by zahrah.16
It was Edexcel. Which one are you doing?

I was doing Edexcel but then my stupid school changed to AQA
Original post by Zaydy3
I got 12 A*s.

My advice is to try and figure out different revision techniques for each subject as each one will have different methods that will work best. E.g with English Lit I just planned loads of essays whereas with maths I made sure I knew how to do each thing.

I did further maths which was really hard being in year 11. The only reason I got an A* was because I went through the whole textbook the weekend before. I know that seems like cramming but it really wasn't; most people didn't even revise for it as it was stupidly hard!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, GCSEs are not impossible and you'll be surprised on results day if you have worked hard

Thanks and yours is an eye opener to me because I need like 6A's or A*'s to go to the school that I want
Thanks and yours is an eye opener to me because I need like 6A's or A*'s to go to the school that I want

No problem, if you have any questions just ask.
Original post by Zaydy3
I got 12 A*s.

Holy crap man great results!
May I ask when you started revising?
I am also doing further maths, do you think exam solutions and past papers is sufficient enough?
Last question, how did you revise for the sciences and other subjects you did
Original post by Zaydy3
No problem, if you have any questions just ask.

Ok thanks
How did you get an A* in maths?

The YouTube channel HegartyMaths helped a **** tonne!
(patrickJMT is also a good channel)
I brought the CGP guide for my maths syllabus. It is a really good buy, because it explains everything clearly and simply. I highly recommend to purchase these!
Most of all I just kept revising and doing as many past papers as possible.
Most of my friends just used myMaths to revise from which they said helped!

Something to motivate you: I always found maths hard and was in the bottom of my years maths set. However, I revised really hard over the exam leave/break, and ended up being the only one in my year to get an A* in maths :smile: So **** u top set :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest