The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Level English Literature: Prose Thu 26 May AM

Anyone doing this particular exam? Which texts are you doing?

I'm personally doing the Supernatural genre, and I will be comparing 'Dracula' with 'The Little Stranger', but feel free to discuss other texts, in different genres even if you please.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

I'm teaching this course, and we are teaching 'Frankenstein' and 'The Handmaid's Tale' to our students - unfortunately on a different theme to you! Good luck in your exam - don't worry if it doesn't go too well; these exams have no relationship with your A Level result if you progress to Year 2!
Original post by help4exams

I'm personally doing the Supernatural genre, and I will be comparing 'Dracula' with 'The Little Stranger', but feel free to discuss other texts, in different genres even if you please.

I'm studying Dracula! I beg for your help... I'm comparing it to Beloved however, but that's the novel I enjoy and don't have too much of an issue with.

How are you revising it and what topics are you covering? If you want we can share each other's notes in this thread to perhaps help others too :smile: I've discovered there are hardly any resources on Dracula, so relying on my own notes is a bit risky for me haha.
Reply 4
Original post by drrebeccakirby
I'm teaching this course, and we are teaching 'Frankenstein' and 'The Handmaid's Tale' to our students - unfortunately on a different theme to you! Good luck in your exam - don't worry if it doesn't go too well; these exams have no relationship with your A Level result if you progress to Year 2!

Thank you, but won't UCAS use our AS grades for university offers. I know I can apply a year later or through clearing but I think life would be a lot easier if I do well now!

Original post by Babs Posh
I'm studying Dracula! I beg for your help... I'm comparing it to Beloved however, but that's the novel I enjoy and don't have too much of an issue with.

How are you revising it and what topics are you covering? If you want we can share each other's notes in this thread to perhaps help others too :smile: I've discovered there are hardly any resources on Dracula, so relying on my own notes is a bit risky for me haha.

Again, Sparknotes is good for Dracula, and again, doing a character by character analysis then applying to the main theme for me really helps, but I will get back to you when I revise this.

I'm doing Dracula and The little stranger as well!! and also Streetcar named desire
To the original poster:

You will need to list your AS result, yes. BUT, if you do well in the whole A Level, this is more important, as this shows you have understood the AS texts at a more advanced level.
I'm comparing 'Dracula' to 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' in the Prose exam and I am also doing 'A Streetcar Named Desire' in the Poetry and Drama exam

How is everyone revising for English? :s-smilie:
Hi,

I'm studying The Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein for Prose and The importance of being Earnest and a poem anthology for the other part of the course.

Can anyone please provide some useful resources to aid me in my revision, I'm really stressed especially as my exam is so soon.

I've also studied Dracula and The Little Stranger! Revision wise, what themes and ideas are you focusing on? Obviously I can't be certain, but since it's a new spec and 'The Supernatural' module lists 4 different novels, I believe (and hope) the question will be rather loose, for example..

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts explore the threat of insanity"

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts use gothic conventions to convey fear"

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts present female characters/gender?" -

"How do the writers of your two chosen texts explore the effect of the supernatural on individual characters?"

I hope questions similar to the above come up on Friday because I find the nature of the question truly allows us to add a personal flair whilst deeply exploring the entirety of the two novels. What do you think? What revision are you prioritising for the exam? :smile:
Original post by sophieaxon
I've also studied Dracula and The Little Stranger! Revision wise, what themes and ideas are you focusing on? Obviously I can't be certain, but since it's a new spec and 'The Supernatural' module lists 4 different novels, I believe (and hope) the question will be rather loose, for example..

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts explore the threat of insanity"

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts use gothic conventions to convey fear"

- "How do the writers of your two chosen texts present female characters/gender?" -

"How do the writers of your two chosen texts explore the effect of the supernatural on individual characters?"

I hope questions similar to the above come up on Friday because I find the nature of the question truly allows us to add a personal flair whilst deeply exploring the entirety of the two novels. What do you think? What revision are you prioritising for the exam? :smile:

There's the theme of transgression, medicine (both novels think sleep is best for psychiatry), sex, gender, idea of fallen hero, evil vs good, marriage, social class, outsiders, death, innocence etc there's loads
Original post by Kyle1198
There's the theme of transgression, medicine (both novels think sleep is best for psychiatry), sex, gender, idea of fallen hero, evil vs good, marriage, social class, outsiders, death, innocence etc there's loads

I had noted all of those theme ideas in my book so I'll definitely be covering them again and again. Out of them all, I think modernity vs the past/superstition/religion is a rather prominent theme, one that may be on the exam paper, as well as social class. There are so so so many themes though so I think I'll have to have learnt around 200 quotes altogether by Thursday..the joys !! :smile:
Reply 12
Is anyone doing never let me go and war of the worlds?
https://blogasenglish.wordpress.com

Really good website for Handmaid's, Frankenstein, Streetcar and poetry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending