The Student Room Group

How do I drop out of Uni?

Hi all

I have come to the conclusion that i want to drop out of Uni and go work with my dad. I am just wondering how do i go about dropping out, like who do i speak to and what does it do in terms of my student finance?

I have just received my final payment for it and i still have to pay off my rent for my accommodation. Will i have to give it back straight away to the government?

I am wondering if i could drop out before my final exams in May or have I left it too late? Should i just finish the year?

Overall I'm more worried about the finance side of things and paying back tuition fees and loans. Is it all done the same as if i finished Uni or is it done differently? Also would i have to pay the uni for this final term?

Thanks all
Original post by Jonno310
Hi all

I have come to the conclusion that i want to drop out of Uni and go work with my dad. I am just wondering how do i go about dropping out, like who do i speak to and what does it do in terms of my student finance?

I have just received my final payment for it and i still have to pay off my rent for my accommodation. Will i have to give it back straight away to the government?

I am wondering if i could drop out before my final exams in May or have I left it too late? Should i just finish the year?

Overall I'm more worried about the finance side of things and paying back tuition fees and loans. Is it all done the same as if i finished Uni or is it done differently? Also would i have to pay the uni for this final term?

Thanks all

You'll have to give any overpaid maintenance back either immediately or they'll let you set up a payment plan. Look into your accomodation contract as its likely you'd need a replacement otherwise you'd owe them the money back. I think at this point if you could try to finish the year, you would be better of financially and if there's any chance you could pass some modules then you get some credit if you decide to go back to uni in the future.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You'll have to give any overpaid maintenance back either immediately or they'll let you set up a payment plan. Look into your accomodation contract as its likely you'd need a replacement otherwise you'd owe them the money back. I think at this point if you could try to finish the year, you would be better of financially and if there's any chance you could pass some modules then you get some credit if you decide to go back to uni in the future.

If i were to finish completely for the year do you know how this would affect my tuition fee/Maintenance loan? Like would i not have to start paying it back until earning over a certain amount or would there still be an over payment?

Thank you for the reply
If i were to finish completely for the year do you know how this would affect my tuition fee/Maintenance loan? Like would i not have to start paying it back until earning over a certain amount or would there still be an over payment?

Thank you for the reply

Tuition fee is normal rules. As you get a bit extra in the last maintenance payment to cover the summer unless you were to leave in august you would still have a little bit as an overpayment.
Finish the year.

You'll have a sense of achievement for having done that, - in terms of now looking for work, 'I finished the year; sounds a great deal better than 'I dropped out' - and you would have the summer to think things through clearly before telling the Uni you don't want to continue.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Finish the year.

You'll have a sense of achievement for having done that, - in terms of now looking for work, 'I finished the year; sounds a great deal better than 'I dropped out' - and you would have the summer to think things through clearly before telling the Uni you don't want to continue.

When do i have to let the Uni know i'm dropping out?

Not until late August effectively - ie. tell them when they email you about re-enrolment for next year.

You should let them know as soon as you have decided that you wish to do so. They cant stop you leaving, but its better to tie up any loose ends. You should make a to do list of people you should contact to shut everything down.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you haven't done so already - go and see your Personal Tutor (this is exactly what they are there for) and then the Finance folk at your Students Union for advice about money/loans/pay back etc.

Quick Reply

Latest