The Student Room Group

First Car - Corsa or Clio?

Hey Guys,

So i'm planning on buying my first car in a few days and i am looking at either the Clio or the Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L maybe 1.2L,

I was wondering if any one here wants to share their experiences with these cars and which one i should go for? i don't want an engine bigger than 1.2 because my insurance premiums are already ridiculous and i don't want to push it.

Scroll to see replies

Neither to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti
Neither to be honest.

...Very Helpful post there
Reply 3
Just make sure you take someone experienced with cars (such as your parents) with you to view whatever car you're looking at (if its 2nd hand).

I made the mistake of going to buy my first car last year without my dad and came away with a 2004 1.2 Fiat Punto. ABSOLUTE BAG OF NAILS, the car cost me £795 and within 6 months I had spent an easy £700 in repairs (£120 the FIRST DAY i had it as the exhaust FELL OFF!) the car just kept breaking bit by bit on me until in the end it was actual scrap.

Recently I have brought a 2010 Renault Twingo 1.2l and so far (touch wood) no problems what so ever with it!
Original post by TiD93
...Very Helpful post there

polo or yaris
Reply 5
Reply 6
Mini hatchback is good for a first car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Let me just add, my budget is around 900 max, again mainly because of the insurance, so take that into consideration

I'm not looking for anything mighty special, just a good enough car to help me get use to the roads, maybe trips out of town once a month but thats really it, will probably get a newer car by November or so
Reply 8
Hyundai hatchback might be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
A good choice^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a Clio and mine was very unreliable
Buy Japanese or Korean if you want something cheap and reliable.

My first car was a VW Polo 2001 and it was garbage. In under a month the electric windows and central locking stopped working, when ever it was really cold the starter motor would squeal when started, and if it's frosty outside the door lock would freeze and you'd have to force the key into the door to open it. It was also so basic with no air conditioning, no CD player, despite lots of other cars from that year having both of those features. And this was a car with full service history and 51k miles. Garbage! My car is now a 2002 Honda Civic, which is a tank!
Would definitely recommend getting a corsa but getting the 1.3 diesel engine, I've had this 3 years with no problems, however, mine was a bit more than £900. As for the insuarance as well I found that the 1.3 diesel was cheaper than both the 1.0L and 1.2L petrol as it isn't as quick. The 1.3 diesel is great for a first car as it has very good MPG, I get 55+ mpg most of the time. hope this helped
Original post by subwayking
Would definitely recommend getting a corsa but getting the 1.3 diesel engine, I've had this 3 years with no problems, however, mine was a bit more than £900. As for the insuarance as well I found that the 1.3 diesel was cheaper than both the 1.0L and 1.2L petrol as it isn't as quick. The 1.3 diesel is great for a first car as it has very good MPG, I get 55+ mpg most of the time. hope this helped

Yes! Corsa all day long , it's so reliable in comparison to the Clio. Plus it's fuel friendly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
My buddy had a Toyota Celica, albeit it had 100k on the clock and was a 2001 model. Insurance was relatively cheap for him on a 2L for £2000 for the year
Reply 15
Have a go in examples of each if that's what you're set on buying.
No point dealing up on something with an uncomfortable (to you) seat for example.

You can read as many guides and trawl through as many other peoples opinions on the internet as you like but it's YOU that has to live with it?

All the best with it.
Original post by JakeyWV
Just make sure you take someone experienced with cars (such as your parents) with you to view whatever car you're looking at (if its 2nd hand).

I made the mistake of going to buy my first car last year without my dad and came away with a 2004 1.2 Fiat Punto. ABSOLUTE BAG OF NAILS, the car cost me £795 and within 6 months I had spent an easy £700 in repairs (£120 the FIRST DAY i had it as the exhaust FELL OFF!) the car just kept breaking bit by bit on me until in the end it was actual scrap.

Recently I have brought a 2010 Renault Twingo 1.2l and so far (touch wood) no problems what so ever with it!

That sounds like the fiat punto i brought as my first car. Mine was w reg (i brought it when i passed 6 years ago) and i only kept it 6 months because that many things went wrong with it. Luckily all my cars ive had since have been a lot better so far (touch wood).
I had a Clio and was on first name terms with a guy from the RAC.
Original post by TiD93
Hey Guys,

So i'm planning on buying my first car in a few days and i am looking at either the Clio or the Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L maybe 1.2L,

I was wondering if any one here wants to share their experiences with these cars and which one i should go for? i don't want an engine bigger than 1.2 because my insurance premiums are already ridiculous and i don't want to push it.

Id go for a micra.
They are bomb proof.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I had a Clio and was on first name terms with a guy from the RAC.

lol

Quick Reply

Latest