The Student Room Group

Anyone struggling with the amount of content for AS-level Biology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Philip-flop
Wow that is brilliant!! What were your favourite techniques for revision? Also how many hours a day did you spend revising a month before your exams?

I got the textbook, and read each double page spread then wrote myself out questions (about 5-10) per slread asking about the stuff I'd just read, then kept answering those questions, and id answer them in my head on the bus to college etc... and then obviously past papers and memorising mark schemes, my teacher also made his own model answers (which I don't have a copy of - sorry) where he read each mark scheme wrote out all the important answers and we memorised them.in As I did about 4 -9 hours of revision a day when close to exams and started revising near xmas, but only a few hours a day. It all depends on how you revise but my way was good for me BC I take things in mainly through what I see and hear so I'd write out the answers to the questions I'd written, and also say them out load so it would go in. I was over prepped for my exams though so if you are worried that maybe you haven't done enough, don't, I had Asian parents so I had no choice.
My fellow OCR A reformed people...

... May the odds be ever in your favour.

We. Are. Screwed.
Biology markers are the worst type of people on the planet
Original post by OddFuturez
i'm doing OCR and it's seriously difficult , it's just the amount of content itself that makes the subject obnoxious......

same, and the fact that exams are linear makes it 10x WORSE....were gonna have to remember AS content on top of the A2 content... i mean wtf
Original post by Zain-A
Biology markers are the worst type of people on the planet

How I feel :titan:
Original post by ImagineCats
My fellow OCR A reformed people...

... May the odds be ever in your favour.

We. Are. Screwed.

Just remember...:sparta::sparta::sparta:
I feel like i know my stuff, but then the questions are all like 'what about this extremely obscure thing that was mentioned as an afterthought on the spec?' :colonhash:

I do actually need to start doing bio papers though...
I think for me just reading through the revision guide over and over really helps. Just these graph, analysis and interpretation questions are the ones that really annoy me.
Reply 28
Good luck for a2!! As was a breeze compared to it :frown:
The people who do 2 sciences and maths must have it rough ,wow
Is anyone else struggling with the amount of content for AS-level Biology? How do you cope with the workload? I'm panicking so much :frown:

Excersise helps. I like to Rock Climb at the weekend, just forget school and exams for 2 hrs! Or you can hang out with friends and revising. It is funner and makes it easier to remember facts sometimes :smile:
Don't you mean Mitosis?
I always remember it as:

In (Interphase)
Paris (Prophase)
Monkeys (Metaphase)
Are (Anaphase)
Tired (Telophase)

+ Cytokinesis

Yes sorry about that! Mind blank😀 Good job made it here and not the exam ✌🏼️
I do OCR Biology A AS too, there is literally so much to cover and I was just wondering if there are any good websites to use? :redface:
videos on youtube are really good,just google your topic :smile: i agree biology AS is so much work!
Struggling to get my head around the difference between the 'chloride shift' and the 'bohr effect' :frown:
Original post by Zara0526
Struggling to get my head around the difference between the 'chloride shift' and the 'bohr effect' :frown:

Hey, it took me ages to understand it!

The Bohr Effect is when oxygen gets released into tissues where there is a high CO2 concentration (a high pCO2 A.K.A a low pO2). This is because CO2, produced when tissues respire, dissolves in solution, in the red blood cell, and makes the conditions more acidic (CO2+H2O->H2CO3(acid)->H+ + HCO3-). With a higher concentration of H+ ions, this changes the tertiary structure of haemoglobin in a way that reduces its affinity for O2. Oxygen gets released.

The chloride shift is a way for the red blood cells to maintain charge. When HCO3- is made, it diffuses out of the red blood cell. The movement of negative charge outwards has to be balanced by a movement of negative charge inwards, hence Cl- diffuses into the cell. The reverse happens when HCO3-moves back into the red blood cell (when it needs to be exhaled), Cl- will diffuse back out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Laurasaur
Hey, it took me ages to understand it!

The Bohr Effect is when oxygen gets released into tissues where there is a high CO2 concentration (a high pCO2 A.K.A a low pO2). This is because CO2, produced when tissues respire, dissolves in solution, in the red blood cell, and makes the conditions more acidic (CO2+H2O->H2CO3(acid)->H+ + HCO3-). With a higher concentration of H+ ions, this changes the tertiary structure of haemoglobin in a way that reduces its affinity for O2. Oxygen gets released.

The chloride shift is a way for the red blood cells to maintain charge. When HCO3- is made, it diffuses out of the red blood cell. The movement of negative charge outwards has to be balanced by a movement of negative charge inwards, hence Cl- diffuses into the cell. The reverse happens when HCO3-moves back into the red blood cell (when it needs to be exhaled), Cl- will diffuse back out.

Thank you! :smile:
Brain is exploding from all the content lol.
Original post by ouatislifex
Yes and I'm doing Salters Nuffield (SNAB) which no other school does (that I know of). Does anyone do it here?

I'm so glad I've found someone whose also doing it! I'm currently revising for it now as we speak but there's just too much and my brains melting. I've recently just made a thread where people also doing the same exam board can upload their revision materials and resources if you have anything to add. It would be really appreciated!
Original post by ilovefruit
I'm so glad I've found someone whose also doing it! I'm currently revising for it now as we speak but there's just too much and my brains melting. I've recently just made a thread where people also doing the same exam board can upload their revision materials and resources if you have anything to add. It would be really appreciated!

Awesome, I'm doing Edexcel Biology Salters Nuffield (the new spec) too :smile: Can you point me in the direction of that thread please? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending