The Student Room Group

Revision Timetable...

Hey,I'm currently a year 10 GCSE student who is doing V.good so far...
I have been thinking ahead and decided to start revision early at the start of year 11 so almost a year..
What exactly do people mean by revision Timetables like the structure and so on..
Il appreciate if you show me some of yours if you are currently revising...
Also,would you say that starting at the start of year 11 being early,what would you say about that on a scale of 1-10,1 be way too early and 10 be way to late...
Thanks.
1- TOO EARLY unless you're doing terrible
Most people revise for mocks and then slowly build up revision to the actual exams
I don't timetable because I lead a busy life but TSR has a timetable feature you can use
Don't timetable until you actually get into year 11 though because year 10 is a bit too early
Original post by VNN
I have been thinking ahead and decided to start revision early at the start of year 11 so almost a year..
What exactly do people mean by revision Timetables like the structure and so on..
Also,would you say that starting at the start of year 11 being early,what would you say about that on a scale of 1-10,1 be way too early and 10 be way to late...
Thanks.

Hey there, i've linked my timetable below :smile: I'm in year 11 , yes it's always good to take a head start :smile: My timetable has kinda changed for the easter but this timetable is usually when i have school :smile:
Original post by VNN
Thanks.

Revision timetables aren't for anyone. For people who don't stick by it or can't keep up with it should create a to-do list for every week and tick it off as they go along rather than setting out a time to do it. However if you do like the idea of a revision timetable then I suggest you allocate your time wisely. Make a time timetable, you could use this Study Planner by TSR if you like. Though if you feel as if your a type to not stick with time tables I'd say you should make a to-do list for every week and tick off the things as you go along this way you don't omit anything from your revision.

Start revision around December/January; from your Christmas Break. It's the best time to get it started, that way you don't need to rush from March onward like some students do.

I think starting at the start of year 11 can be pretty early so I'll say 2. The reason for this is because it depends on the pace you go at, everyone learns at a different speed to others.

If you need anymore help, feel free to ask. :h:
Original post by hxfsxh
1- TOO EARLY unless you're doing terrible
Most people revise for mocks and then slowly build up revision to the actual exams
I don't timetable because I lead a busy life but TSR has a timetable feature you can use
Don't timetable until you actually get into year 11 though because year 10 is a bit too early

i agree, OP, i understand you want to do well, but focus solely on learning and completing the spec,
Reply 5
If you're already doing good then I don't see a point in revising so early. I think the ideal time to start is Feb/March.
Original post by VNN
Thanks.

Ah ok,When did you start and how long do you revise a day?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey there, i've linked my timetable below :smile: I'm in year 11 , yes it's always good to take a head start :smile: My timetable has kinda changed for the easter but this timetable is usually when i have school :smile:

Ah,ok so timetable are not hour by hour then?
So you only have slot for studies...
Original post by VNN
Ah,ok so timetable are not hour by hour then?
So you only have slot for studies...

Yup :smile:
Original post by undercxver
Revision timetables aren't for anyone. For people who don't stick by it or can't keep up with it should create a to-do list for every week and tick it off as they go along rather than setting out a time to do it. However if you do like the idea of a revision timetable then I suggest you allocate your time wisely. Make a time timetable, you could use this Study Planner by TSR if you like. Though if you feel as if your a type to not stick with time tables I'd say you should make a to-do list for every week and tick off the things as you go along this way you don't omit anything from your revision.

Start revision around December/January; from your Christmas Break. It's the best time to get it started, that way you don't need to rush from March onward like some students do.

I think starting at the start of year 11 can be pretty early so I'll say 2. The reason for this is because it depends on the pace you go at, everyone learns at a different speed to others.

Ah ok,so how long would you recommending revising a day...I would like to study medicine at Cambridge,I current, do 3 instruments at grade 5+ and play tennis and table tennis and do volunteering at a care home,do blogging on medicine and will got medicine courses,is that good?ipAm I doing well for y10 and for work experience I was considering doing WE at three different department for several years each,is that too much or?
Thank so much.
Original post by sfaraj
i agree, OP, i understand you want to do well, but focus solely on learning and completing the spec,

Ah ok..
So what about revision time?

Also,what are super curricular activities as I was told they help with Cambridge medicine too...
Original post by VNN
Ah ok,so how long would you recommending revising a day...I would like to study medicine at Cambridge,I current, do 3 instruments at grade 5+ and play tennis and table tennis and do volunteering at a care home,do blogging on medicine and will got medicine courses,is that good?ipAm I doing well for y10 and for work experience I was considering doing WE at three different department for several years each,is that too much or?
Thank so much.

Bloody hell! :zomg: You're doing exceptionally well for a student in year 10. You might want to cut down a little so that you have enough time for yourself and revision. Make sure you take a break. :colondollar:

So you're planning to start a blog or you already have? :curious:

As I said before, this depends on you and the speed at which you understand things. Generally 2-3 hours on a school day should be enough. On a weekend/holiday I think 6 hours is plenty.

Original post by VNN
Also,what are super curricular activities as I was told they help with Cambridge medicine too...

Once you go college/sixth form I recommend you go to a summer school. I can't really push you to do certain exttra curricular, but do what you enjoy, that's what matters. :h:
Bloody hell! :zomg: You're doing exceptionally well for a student in year 10. You might want to cut down a little so that you have enough time for yourself and revision. Make sure you take a break. :colondollar:

So you're planning to start a blog or you already have? :curious:

As I said before, this depends on you and the speed at which you understand things. Generally 2-3 hours on a school day should be enough. On a weekend/holiday I think 6 hours is plenty.

Once you go college/sixth form I recommend you go to a summer school. I can't really push you to do certain exttra curricular, but do what you enjoy, that's what matters. :h:

Well,I'm planning too,any tips and do they show your passion for the subject?
Also,do medical courses such a melding one for a few days over holidays help?
Finally,what do you actually do in summer school,never understood the concept?
Any tips for Cambridge medicine or stuff I should note or do?
Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Well,I'm planning too,any tips and do they show your passion for the subject?

Try to get some experience in medicine, maybe volunteer? Check this out.

Also,do medical courses such a melding one for a few days over holidays help?

Yeah of course you can. You just got to go around places and ask about this.

Finally,what do you actually do in summer school,never understood the concept?

There's several types of summer schools, each one is different. Have a look at this.

Any tips for Cambridge medicine or stuff I should note or do?
Thanks.

Do:

Choose a course you are really passionate about.

Read widely around your chosen subject. It’s not enough just to do well at school or college. Tutors have often devoted their life to their subject, so of course they want to teach students who share their enthusiasm.

Practice talking about your subject: not just with your teachers and fellow students, but with other friends and family members. Talking to non-experts is an excellent exercise as it gets you thinking in new ways and helps you to find new ways of expressing the concepts and issues involved.

Don’t:

Stretch the truth on your application form. Tutors may ask you about anything you include in your application, so make sure it’s all correct.

Spend time worrying about which college to apply to. There are far more productive ways to spend your time.

Lose heart! The application process is very competitive, and sadly there just are not enough places for all the people who apply. However, the only way to guarantee you will not be successful is to not try at all. Why not go for it?

You don't really need to stress about this stuff right now. At the moment all you should be focusing on is getting the grades that you want and need, also do some extra curricular but make sure this doesn't take your time away from education. And please give yourself enough time for yourself, you seem like a hard worker but don't push yourself too hard!
Try to get some experience in medicine, maybe volunteer? Check this out.

Yeah of course you can. You just got to go around places and ask about this.

There's several types of summer schools, each one is different. Have a look at this.

Do:

Choose a course you are really passionate about.

Read widely around your chosen subject. It’s not enough just to do well at school or college. Tutors have often devoted their life to their subject, so of course they want to teach students who share their enthusiasm.

Practice talking about your subject: not just with your teachers and fellow students, but with other friends and family members. Talking to non-experts is an excellent exercise as it gets you thinking in new ways and helps you to find new ways of expressing the concepts and issues involved.

Don’t:

Stretch the truth on your application form. Tutors may ask you about anything you include in your application, so make sure it’s all correct.

Spend time worrying about which college to apply to. There are far more productive ways to spend your time.

Lose heart! The application process is very competitive, and sadly there just are not enough places for all the people who apply. However, the only way to guarantee you will not be successful is to not try at all. Why not go for it?

You don't really need to stress about this stuff right now. At the moment all you should be focusing on is getting the grades that you want and need, also do some extra curricular but make sure this doesn't take your time away from education. And please give yourself enough time for yourself, you seem like a hard worker but don't push yourself too hard!

Thanks a lot!
Another amazing response....
Aka-Trust me,Thank for the compliment but yes(Not the hardest,haha)
Anyway,what subjects are important to take for A-level to do medicine.
Original post by VNN
Thanks a lot!
Another amazing response....
Aka-Trust me,Thank for the compliment but yes(Not the hardest,haha)
Anyway,what subjects are important to take for A-level to do medicine.

Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all the medical schools open to you. :h:

Spoiler

Original post by VNN
Ah ok..
So what about revision time?

build it up, revise for mocks, then take it easy. by the time its feb half term yr 11 or easter yr 11 you wanna be revising not right now
Original post by nisha.sri

I'll be surprised if you stuck too one day in that timetable, as for the weekend . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LionKing1
I'll be surprised if you stuck too one day in that timetable, as for the weekend . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a numerous times :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest