The Student Room Group

I want to do History A level and have some questions.

Question one! - Are the entry requirements for A level the same in most schools?
Question two! - If so then do I need to get a B in literature, language or combined?
Question three! - Is it a good A level to take - Do the people who take it find it fun or arduous or something else?
Reply 1
Normally you'll need around a B in History, but it may be more or less depending on how competitive the 6th form is and their standards. Remember that 6th forms are sometimes flexible on entry requirements.

Generally, when they ask for a B in English Language, but the 6th form may be willing to accept a B in Literature instead. It all depends on the 6th form.

I'm currently in Year 13 doing A2 History, and I love it, but then I've been interested in History for as long as I can remember and I'm going to be studying it at university next year. Do you enjoy History at GCSE? How do you feel about essay writing? What do you want to do in the future? What topics will your 6th form be covering? Try asking yourself these questions, because everything thinks differently.
Reply 2
Original post by oswalds
Normally you'll need around a B in History, but it may be more or less depending on how competitive the 6th form is and their standards. Remember that 6th forms are sometimes flexible on entry requirements.

Generally, when they ask for a B in English Language, but the 6th form may be willing to accept a B in Literature instead. It all depends on the 6th form.

I'm currently in Year 13 doing A2 History, and I love it, but then I've been interested in History for as long as I can remember and I'm going to be studying it at university next year. Do you enjoy History at GCSE? How do you feel about essay writing? What do you want to do in the future? What topics will your 6th form be covering? Try asking yourself these questions, because everything thinks differently.

I've pretty much always been into history and I think I'll find Stalin's Russia quite interesting. But I'm taking it because I like it, I want to do a physics degree so I'm taking physics and maths at A level too.
My sixth form didn't require a History GCSE. I think their only requirement was a B in English Language.

I think it's more fun than arduous.
Reply 4
Original post by AxSirlotl
I've pretty much always been into history and I think I'll find Stalin's Russia quite interesting. But I'm taking it because I like it, I want to do a physics degree so I'm taking physics and maths at A level too.

As long as you are taking it because you enjoy the subject, and you like the sound of what is being taught, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. It would be nice to have it as a break from science based subjects, and universities can see that you are a well-rounded student. Anyway, if you decided it wasn't for you, most 6th forms will normally allow you to change it in the first couple of weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by oswalds
As long as you are taking it because you enjoy the subject, and you like the sound of what is being taught, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. It would be nice to have it as a break from science based subjects, and universities can see that you are a well-rounded student. Anyway, if you decided it wasn't for you, most 6th forms will normally allow you to change it in the first couple of weeks.

Yes I am taking it because I enjoy it, I am really passionate about history and how it shaped the world :biggrin: I think the only thing I might struggle with actually getting into A level history is the English grade because I'm rubbish at English ;-;
Reply 6
Original post by Abstract_Prism
My sixth form didn't require a History GCSE. I think their only requirement was a B in English Language.

I think it's more fun than arduous.

That's a little bit strange O.o
Reply 7

I did stalin's Russia last year for AS and it was quite interesting and the only thing I enjoyed in history, apart from that I personally don't enjoy history especially at A2.
That's a little bit strange O.o

Is it? I thought it was the norm to not require a History GCSE to study it at A Level.
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Is it? I thought it was the norm to not require a History GCSE to study it at A Level.

Well at my school it's recommended that you have at least a B in history and a B in English. I thought that you'd be required to have a History GCSE as you learn exam technique which is quite crucial.
Reply 10
Original post by KaurNav
I did stalin's Russia last year for AS and it was quite interesting and the only thing I enjoyed in history, apart from that I personally don't enjoy history especially at A2.

What did you do in A2?
Well at my school it's recommended that you have at least a B in history and a B in English. I thought that you'd be required to have a History GCSE as you learn exam technique which is quite crucial.

Exam technique is transferable

It's generally uncommon to carry on with similar topics from GCSE to A-level, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The only problem will be getting into the habit of looking at causation, change and continunity - specific things for history.
Reply 12
What did you do in A2?

For coursework we're doing Ireland and for unit 3 England 1642-89.
Reply 13
Original post by KaurNav
For coursework we're doing Ireland and for unit 3 England 1642-89.

I've never covered it so I don't really know if I'd like them or not.
Reply 14
I've never covered it so I don't really know if I'd like them or not.

i don't like it, it's so hard!! are you doing your GCSEs?? i really enjoyed histoy at GCSE but don't like it at A-level.

I did History at GCSE, but I've found that the exam technique needed has changed radically in the step up to A Levels.
My college just wanted a B in history GCSE if you wanted to do it at A level. (Although they did want a C in English to get into the college in the first place, so I guess there's that.)

The essay question structure is very different to what you would've had to use at GCSE, but it's not too difficult to learn with practice and once you've got it down you're fine. It's also worth checking out the exam board and how they'll assess you - I was on AQA and we did 2 exams at AS, then a piece of coursework and 1 exam at A2. This suited me fine, but everyone's different :smile:

In terms of fun vs. arduous, I absolutely loved the content (some bits were dryer than others, but it honestly depends which topics you do tbh), but there was a lot of it - actually revising it all and trying to remember everything was a nightmare at times. The exams themselves weren't too bad though - as long as you remembered enough bits of information to back up your arguments, you were fine. I personally preferred A2 to AS, although this could just as easily been due to the teacher we had for most of that year and the people I sat with as it could have been the actual content covered.
Reply 17
Original post by lightwoXd
My college just wanted a B in history GCSE if you wanted to do it at A level. (Although they did want a C in English to get into the college in the first place, so I guess there's that.)

The essay question structure is very different to what you would've had to use at GCSE, but it's not too difficult to learn with practice and once you've got it down you're fine. It's also worth checking out the exam board and how they'll assess you - I was on AQA and we did 2 exams at AS, then a piece of coursework and 1 exam at A2. This suited me fine, but everyone's different :smile:

In terms of fun vs. arduous, I absolutely loved the content (some bits were dryer than others, but it honestly depends which topics you do tbh), but there was a lot of it - actually revising it all and trying to remember everything was a nightmare at times. The exams themselves weren't too bad though - as long as you remembered enough bits of information to back up your arguments, you were fine. I personally preferred A2 to AS, although this could just as easily been due to the teacher we had for most of that year and the people I sat with as it could have been the actual content covered.

Quick Reply

Latest