The Student Room Group

Getting evicted - how long can I stay in the house?

I have a 12 month fixed tenancy, I live in a shared house with other people (we have separate contracts). I have to pay rent monthly.
I havent paid rent in a few months and I getting an eviction notice in a few days. I know that the landlord has to wait two weeks after the eviction letter to go to court.

So I dont have to move out two weeks after I get the eviciton letter, I can stay until the court gives a posession order, right? How long will it take for the court to give the landlord the possession order? cause now I seriously dont even know how long I can even stay in this house.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lolakirk
I have a 12 month fixed tenancy, I live in a shared house with other people (we have separate contracts). I have to pay rent monthly.
I havent paid rent in a few months and I getting an eviction notice in a few days. I know that the landlord has to wait two weeks after the eviction letter to go to court.

So I dont have to move out two weeks after I get the eviciton letter, I can stay until the court gives a posession order, right? How long will it take for the court to give the landlord the possession order? cause now I seriously dont even know how long I can even stay in this house.

You cannot be evicted until the court grants a possession order.

I believe you can be evicted immediately after that depending on which court it is issued from.

Why havent you paid rent? Perhaps pay what you owe for a start.

You court junctions can seriously mess up your credit rating you know that right? Try taking out any meaningful credit when your record says you are unreliable in paying it back and you can kiss goodbye any meaningful things in life like a mortgage (house) or finance deals on phones, utilities in some cases and even loans for a car on finance!
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
You cannot be evicted until the court grants a possession order.

I believe you can be evicted immediately after that depending on which court it is issued from.

Yes, I know that the court has to grant a possession order before I can get evicted. I know that the landlord can apply for the posession order after the two week notice period runs out - from what I have read, the possession order states that you have to leave in two weeks.

So, I still have two weeks for the notice to run out and two weeks that the possession order will give me- that's at least a month, however what I dont know is why long does it take for the court to actually give the landlord the possession order? Is it a few days, a few weeks? I cant find any info about this.
Reply 4
Original post by Mephestic
Why havent you paid rent? Perhaps pay what you owe for a start.

Thank you for your help, let me get my magic wand out and create some money out of thin air
Reply 5
Yes, I know that the court has to grant a possession order before I can get evicted. I know that the landlord can apply for the posession order after the two week notice period runs out - from what I have read, the possession order states that you have to leave in two weeks.

So, I still have two weeks for the notice to run out and two weeks that the possession order will give me- that's at least a month, however what I dont know is why long does it take for the court to actually give the landlord the possession order? Is it a few days, a few weeks? I cant find any info about this.

My understanding is that the high court can grant immediate possession. You would be out as soon as the bailiffs were deployed.
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
My understanding is that the high court can grant immediate possession. You would be out as soon as the bailiffs were deployed.

I know that the possession order is two weeks and then if I dont leave in two weeks, the bailiffs come. Butthe question is how long from the time the landlord applies for the possession order to the time the possession order is granted to them. Cause thats still some time before the two week posession order period starts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I know that the possession order is two weeks and then if I dont leave in two weeks, the bailiffs come. Butthe question is how long from the time the landlord applies for the possession order to the time the possession order is granted to them. Cause thats still some time before the two week posession order period runs out.

Depends on how long until the court has a free hearing slot id guess.

And again; if possession is granted by the high court then you can be evicted immediately.

If I were you I'd stop trying to rely on technicalities to postpone the inevitable. Move out ASAP.
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
Depends on how long until the court has a free hearing slot id guess.

And again; if possession is granted by the high court then you can be evicted immediately.

If I were you I'd stop trying to rely on technicalities to postpone the inevitable. Move out ASAP.

I've just found this...

'This all depends on how obstinate your tenant is, at Landlord Action 61% of the time, when we serve a Section 8 Notice for rent arrears (14 day notice) or section 21 Notice (2 month’s notice) ending the tenancy, the tenants will vacate the property.

If they ignore the notice served, then the landlord will have to apply to the court for a possession order.

It will take generally between 6-8 weeks for the judge to grant a possession order under section 8/section 21.

Tenants can ignore the possession order granted by the court, which is normally a 14 day order and sometimes tenants are told to stay put by the council and encourage the landlord to go to eviction. In these cases the landlord has to go to the final step 3 to apply for an eviction date with the bailiff, this can take between 5-10 weeks, depending on the court your at and how many bailiffs there are at that court working.'

http://www.property118.com/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-tenant-eviction/42533/

That seems like an awfully long time.....
Reply 9

Why don't you just pay your bills? If you can't pay then do the decent thing and move out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Howard
Why don't you just pay your bills? If you can't pay then do the decent thing and move out.

Thanks but I'd rather stay here until I can instead of being homeless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks but I'd rather stay here until I can instead of being homeless.

move back to your parents?
Reply 12
Original post by TrojanH
move back to your parents?

Not an option unfortunately.
Not an option unfortunately.

How do you get into a situation where you can not pay the bills you used to, even though income and whatnot has remained the same?
Reply 14
Original post by TrojanH
How do you get into a situation where you can not pay the bills you used to, even though income and whatnot has remained the same?

I've never said that.
I've never said that.

exactly, so when your income changed why didn't you move as it was no longer appropriate for you to stay where you are now?
Reply 16
Original post by TrojanH
exactly, so when your income changed why didn't you move as it was no longer appropriate for you to stay where you are now?

As I have said before, I don't wish to become homeless. If you want to be condescending you will need to go elsewhere though.
As I have said before, I don't wish to become homeless. If you want to be condescending you will need to go elsewhere though.

When your income changed you automatically had the remainder of the month to move out + the length of the informal notice given to you by the landlord, and THEN the legal notices... so my question is, in the two months of time given without income, why didn't you pack your bags up and go somewhere you could afford on JSA/benefits rather than make the landlords day a misery?
Reply 18
Original post by TrojanH
When your income changed you automatically had the remainder of the month to move out + the length of the informal notice given to you by the landlord, and THEN the legal notices... so my question is, in the two months of time given without income, why didn't you pack your bags up and go somewhere you could afford on JSA/benefits rather than make the landlords day a misery?

I have never had an 'informal' notice given to me.

If you cannot answer the question I answered then I don't see why you need to write essays, you are ignore listed now.
I have never had an 'informal' notice given to me.

If you cannot answer the question I answered then I don't see why you need to write essays, you are ignore listed now.

If your informal notice wasn't given to you by your landlord, it was sure as heck given to you by your bank statement and the fact you literally could not afford to live there.

My dad's a landlord and has to deal with this headache often. I just want to know why people do it, that's all.

Quick Reply