The Student Room Group

Is primary teaching a good career?

I was originally planning on doing Early Childhood Studies in uni so I could become an early years teacher (working with 0-5 year olds) and working my way up to management. However a lot of people have been telling me not go into that career due to the rubbish salary.

So now I'm kinda looking into primary teaching. I want to know whether this is a good career to go into or not because I've read articles where people were saying that primary teachers get no respect, they get ridiculous amounts of paperwork, the salary isn't too great etc

There aren't any other careers that I'm into tbh besides working with children.
I feel like primary school teachers have better job satisfaction that most other jobs.
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I feel like primary school teachers have better job satisfaction that most other jobs.

How so?
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
How so?

I imagine they would find their jobs more amusing but I guess it varies from person to person :h: .
Planning to be a primary school teacher but I'm studying education studies so i will have to do a PGCE on top. Its a well-respected career - however you will approx be working 60-70 hours per week if you include all tje marking and lesson planning
Original post by samina_ay
Planning to be a primary school teacher but I'm studying education studies so i will have to do a PGCE on top. Its a well-respected career - however you will approx be working 60-70 hours per week if you include all tje marking and lesson planning

Only in your PGCE year. After that, you should not be working more than 50. Less, if you have excellent time management skills.
Original post by JamieInPompey
Only in your PGCE year. After that, you should not be working more than 50. Less, if you have excellent time management skills.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get holidays off.
Reply 8
Teaching is the wrong career to go into if you are looking for respect, purposeful paperwork and a salary equivalent to the amount of effort and time you are putting into the job. There are better respected jobs out there, the paperwork is often frustrating and the pay should be a lot better. People enter the career in spite of all this because they love teaching children. The best thing to do is to get as much school experience as you can so that you have a good understanding of what the job involves. Talk to experienced teachers about the advantages and disadvantages of their job. Then, try to put yourself in their position and see if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages to you. If they do, go for it. It's a good career, but it requires a great deal of sacrifice and you need to be aware of these sacrifices before making a decision. This is the case with any career, but more so for teaching because just getting started in the profession can be tough going if you haven't thought things through properly.
Reply 9
It's the best career, if you want to be a primary school teacher :cute:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending