The Student Room Group

Do you accept drunkeness as a viable justification for cheating?

Question above^

Bonus question: do you think severe intoxication actually hinders judgment significantly?

I've only been very intoxicated a few times. And I do admit you can be more foolish than you normally would. But I have never been close to having properly hindered judgement, if a serious situation arose.

Discuss :smile:

Edit: the title question might sound biased, but I honestly couldn't think of a re-phrasal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BristolFresher15
Question above^

Bonus question: do you think severe intoxication actually hinders judgment significantly?

I've only been very intoxicated a few times. And I do admit you can be more foolish than you normally would. But I have never been close to having properly hindered judgement, if a serious situation arose.

Discuss :smile:

Edit: the title question might sound biased, but I honestly couldn't think of a re-phrasal.

No, I don't think it's a good justification, because in most cases, it's that person's own decision to get that drunk, and so they should accept the consequences for what they do. (If someone drugged them etc, then that's different.)

Yes, severe intoxication does hinder judgement massively - that's often why people won't stop drinking when they know they should... I've been in many a situation where I know drinking more will make me sick, but because I'm so drunk, I don't care, and I'll keep doing it.
Original post by mobbsy91
No, I don't think it's a good justification, because in most cases, it's that person's own decision to get that drunk, and so they should accept the consequences for what they do.

Tell that to the girls at liberal arts colleges who get wasted, willingly sleep with god knows who then press rape charges because they regret it later despite the guy also being drunk
Original post by Lawliettt
Tell that to the girls at liberal arts colleges who get wasted, willingly sleep with god knows who then press rape charges because they regret it later despite the guy also being drunk

Yeh well, that is ****ing annoying, and unfortunately, in cases of rape, the law doesn't really support guys, because unlike other laws where it's innocent until proven guilty, in rape cases, there seems to be a culture where as soon as a guy is accused, there is a witch hunt on the guy to the point where he has to find evidence to prove he didn't, rather than the prosecution having to find evidence that he did.

Technically the guy shouldn't sleep with someone if he's drunk, but it does make one question why it's fine for girls to do that, and if the girl is that drunk, how does she know that she was forced... Unfortunately, its technically illegal (I think) for a guy to have sex with someone who is drunk, even if he is drunk....
Original post by Lawliettt

Exactly. That's definitely another consequence of this idea that I don't agree with. Its wrong to blame someone else in that particular scenario.

So I guess you agree that intoxication doesn't hinder judgement to the point of allowing rape? (I know that's an oxymoron but hopefully you understood what I meant)
I always believe that alcohol is the biggest truth serum out there. It gives you the courage to do things that you wouldn't usually do (e.g. hit on members of the opposite sex), and then shows your true qualities (e.g. drunk texting). So I always believe that if you're doing something when you're drunk, it's something that you would have perhaps thought of, or crossed your mind when sober.

If you're cheating, chances are you're in a relationship which you don't enjoy, you think there's someone better in the club, you feel happy that for once someone shows you attention...etc etc. It's an underlying issue with the current relationship you're in.

There are many people who do not cheat when completely bladdered drunk, and there are others who cheat when perfectly sober, I don't believe alcohol is a justification at all.
Using drink as an excuse is weak
Reply 7
Nah. I dont believe in it. I have been drunk too. Maybe lots of times but I am sure I can still think whats proper and what is not.
Reply 8
No, I personally wouldn't accept being drunk as an excuse or justification to cheat.
Reply 9
You don't claim responsibility but you were responsible for getting yourself drunk.. I'd tell them where to go!!
Reply 10
Does it make it okay? no

Does it impair your judgement? Definetely, like haven't you woken up in the morning and ended up for getting off with a girl you wouldn't sober? In my case a girl who my pals say looked like Stormzy
Reply 11
Of course it's not

The most you might be able to get away with on drunkeness is contemplating it...
No I don't think being drunk is an excuse for cheating
Never, how stupid do you have to be to not consider the consequences before getting drunk.
Reply 14
There are no justifications for breaking morals, listen to any man who commits a bad crime: murder, rape, terrorism, look at their justifications, books, logic, emotions.

It doesn't matter if they present to you a 3000 page justification of the most rigorous logic, they have did something wrong, and they need to be punished for it.

I don't take kindly to excuses.
I've done some very questionable things drunk. But no, it's not a justification for cheating.

How could it be? You could purposely get really drunk with the intention of cheating and use the guise of intoxication as a get-out-of-the-dog-house-free card, your partner wouldn't know either way.

It's really, really easy to not cheat. Don't know why some people choose to make that mistake. I've ****ed up many times in my life, as most humans have, but cheating is not something I'll add to that list.
Do I think it excuses it? No
Would I be willing to forgive it? Yes

Imo, there is a distinction between cheating when off your face, and cheating when acting totally under your own volition. I would be willing to forgive the former, though I'd be really quite angry/hurt for some time.
I have been cheated on by someone who was drunk, and in my eyes, it's not an excuse because you are still trusting that person not to cheat if they get drunk. In some ways, it hurts more because they know they are going to be comprised, they know you still trust them regardles, and they still cheat.

tl;dr: na
Rape is the only justification I accept.
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh well, that is ****ing annoying, and unfortunately, in cases of rape, the law doesn't really support guys, because unlike other laws where it's innocent until proven guilty, in rape cases, there seems to be a culture where as soon as a guy is accused, there is a witch hunt on the guy to the point where he has to find evidence to prove he didn't, rather than the prosecution having to find evidence that he did.

Technically the guy shouldn't sleep with someone if he's drunk, but it does make one question why it's fine for girls to do that, and if the girl is that drunk, how does she know that she was forced... Unfortunately, its technically illegal (I think) for a guy to have sex with someone who is drunk, even if he is drunk....

If she was drunk then she is not in a suitable position to make a decision. Her judgement is affected.
If both participants are drunk it's a different story. If the male is not drunk, then he is aware he is taking advantage of someone who's judgement is not clear.

For hundreds of years the laws haven't supported women in these situations, it is devastating to real rape victims that a minority of women make false accusations, as doing such affects the validity of a real victim unfortunately.

In response to your question, I really don't know. I don't think there is an objective answer to your question. I think it really depends on your faith in the person who has acted in such a way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending