The Student Room Group

Why do people take so long to get on trains?

Why is it that the majority of people step onto a train and then take about 10 seconds to decide where they are going to go in the carriage? Over 25 years of observation says this is a widespread problem (obvs excluding those who can't help it like the elderly) and incredibly irritating / rude for everyone behind them. We see the same thing happen at the bottom of escalators.

So I put it to you TSR: why does this phenomenon exist and how do we solve it? Is it indecision? Lack of spacial awareness? Most people are massively inconsiderate of others?

(Disclaimer: I just missed my train to work because people were dawdling in a train doorway :angry:)

Scroll to see replies

they are probably updating their F:dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:k status "OMG i am so really getting on the train"
Because people want empty seats seats of thir own and refuse to sit next to anyone untill they have checked the entire train.
I have to say after working in consulting for a year when my life was spent predominantly on trains all over the country I have never noticed this.

But perhaps that's because I was always in first class :colone:

I can imagine this is the kind of thing that happens down in cattle class :innocent:

Although downside- I don't do that job anymore but I now can't travel in standard because I can't deal with it. The difference is now I actually have to play for the first class fares myself.

#firstworldproblems
I think this should turn into a 'why do people take so long...' Thread.

Here's a couple of mine:

Why do people take so long at cash machines?

Why do women take so long in the toilet?
Reply 5
Original post by Ethereal World

Here's a couple of mine:

The last one should be "Why do women have to take someone else with them to the toilets?"
Reply 6
Original post by Captain Jack
Why is it that the majority of people step onto a train and then take about 10 seconds to decide where they are going to go in the carriage? Over 25 years of observation says this is a widespread problem (obvs excluding those who can't help it like the elderly) and incredibly irritating / rude for everyone behind them. We see the same thing happen at the bottom of escalators.

So I put it to you TSR: why does this phenomenon exist and how do we solve it? Is it indecision? Lack of spacial awareness? Most people are massively inconsiderate of others?

(Disclaimer: I just missed my train to work because people were dawdling in a train doorway :angry:)

Original post by Guru Jason
Because people want empty seats seats of thir own and refuse to sit next to anyone untill they have checked the entire train.

This ^

On the train, I like to sit on my own or near the window soooo it's takes a while to sit down. It's funny though when you see people come on and they look around like headless chicken not knowing where to go 😂😂
I have to say after working in consulting for a year when my life was spent predominantly on trains all over the country I have never noticed this.

But perhaps that's because I was always in first class :colone:

I can imagine this is the kind of thing that happens down in cattle class :innocent:

It is definitely only in cattle class this happens.

Here's a couple of mine:

Good shout. Why do people take so long to choose what to eat?
Original post by ZuluK
The last one should be "Why do women have to take someone else with them to the toilets?"

Zulu the concept is why do people take so long ?

Your example doesn't fit into that.

Stop going off topic please.
Having used the London Underground, almost weekly for the last 12 years, can confirm this happens. But really during rush hour, people tend to well rush onto the train, dawdling is rare. And luckily, at my home station, people are sensible and care more about the actual seat rather than sitting next to someone.
I usually stick by the doors, or at those weird seat things at either end of the carriage, as it gives you some personal space...
:erm:
But we shall see this July! I'll be using the tube daily at rush hour like a big boy :ahee:
It is definitely only in cattle class this happens.

Good shout. Why do people take so long to choose what to eat?

^^^^ how hard is it?

Although I have to admit I'm guilty of the below:

Why do people take so long to choose what drink they want at a bar?

I end up just going for a straight whisky in my moment of beverage choice panic.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Having used the London Underground, almost weekly for the last 12 years, can confirm this happens. But really during rush hour, people tend to well rush onto the train, dawdling is rare. And luckily, at my home station, people are sensible and care more about the actual seat rather than sitting next to someone.
I usually stick by the doors, or at those weird seat things at either end of the carriage, as it gives you some personal space...
:erm:
But we shall see this July! I'll be using the tube daily at rush hour like a big boy :ahee:

Have you ever used the Waterloo and city line at rush hour ?

First time I did I thought something was majorly wrong on the tube. Turns out people queue for miles like sardines every morning.

Oh what a life.

https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/430560/filename/FiegelBanosBertelle.pdf
Have you ever used the Waterloo and city line at rush hour ?

First time I did I thought something was majorly wrong on the tube. Turns out people queue for miles like sardines every morning.

Oh what a life.

No...:s-smilie:
It's the most pointless line IMO because it just goes from Bank to Waterloo...
Honestly the Central line is probably a contender for the worst line. From Newbury Park all the way to Sheperd's Bush, it's packed.

Haha, brilliant! I am going to read this on the train home later!
Reply 15
Zulu the concept is why do people take so long ?

Your example doesn't fit into that.

Stop going off topic please.

:colonhash:

Why do people take so long to reply and still be bitchy? (Not hinted at you or anything) :colonhash:
No...:s-smilie:
It's the most pointless line IMO because it just goes from Bank to Waterloo...
Honestly the Central line is probably a contender for the worst line. From Newbury Park all the way to Sheperd's Bush, it's packed.

It really isn't pointless though it's pretty damn efficient. If you're southwest London or even in commuter territory eg Guildford and the like all the trains come into Waterloo. Considering then that a lot of people in the 'city jobs' work in around Bank, Liverpool Street and Monument etc. It's like a perfect shuttle.

Even though the queueing in the morning is a nightmare it is the most efficient way to reach the 'city' from Waterloo.
@Ethereal World
What about at the ticket gates? :angry:
Any normal, sane person prepares their Oyster Card well before getting close to the ticket gates, but their are always these people who insist on looking in their bag for the Oyster, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GATE?
Why?
Why do they do this?
It's especially annoying when it's in a small station that only has like three gates.
Original post by ZuluK

Why do people take so long to reply and still be bitchy? (Not hinted at you or anything) :colonhash:

I know it's not hinted at me because I reply quickly and I'm bitchy. :u:
@Ethereal World
What about at the ticket gates? :angry:
Any normal, sane person prepares their Oyster Card well before getting close to the ticket gates, but their are always these people who insist on looking in their bag for the Oyster, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GATE?
Why?
Why do they do this?
It's especially annoying when it's in a small station that only has like three gates.

I know. Grrrrr. I started doing this thing where I wore a lanyard with an extendable bit for my oyster. So I approach the ticket gate grab the card extend on to the pad and I'm through and am like :ninjagirl:

Then all my work mates took the piss out of me :cry2: but I still carried on because I thought it was cool and that's all that matters.

Although now tbh I just use Apple Pay. You know you can just hold your iPhone to the pad and scan your thumbprint and you're through.

Quick Reply

Latest