The Student Room Group

Why do people take so long to get on trains?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
It really isn't pointless though it's pretty damn efficient. If you're southwest London or even in commuter territory eg Guildford and the like all the trains come into Waterloo. Considering then that a lot of people in the 'city jobs' work in around Bank, Liverpool Street and Monument etc. It's like a perfect shuttle.

Even though the queueing in the morning is a nightmare it is the most efficient way to reach the 'city' from Waterloo.

I see...
Well I suppose for me, it is unnecessary, because I can just take the tube directly to Bank.

Have you been on the Paris Metro during rush hour though? :rip:
Reply 21
I know it's not hinted at me because I reply quickly and I'm bitchy. :u:

My face is permanently like :colonhash: whenever I talk to you Nympho... And I know how bitchy you are -_-
JBlondon you have a great story about travelling on trains. Maybe now is the time to bring it out?
Original post by homeland.lsw
I see...
Well I suppose for me, it is unnecessary, because I can just take the tube directly to Bank.

Have you been on the Paris Metro during rush hour though? :rip:

Ngl the central line has to be the worst.

The train just stops at Leytonstone or leyton for ages for no apparent reason like WTF are you doing. But it's so annoying because it connects all the main places. I lived in Woodford when I was working in London before Christmas and literally :rip: every morning to Liverpool Street. Apart from one morning when I fell in love with a guy opposite. Pretty sure he fell in love too. But I didn't have the balls to tell him. And now we will never know :moon:
Having practically spent my entire life on trains and is posting while on a train I can answer this one.

Most people are naturally indecisive, they lack the forethought to look through the windows to see what seats are free.

Now I have a particular issue that I can't sit in the normal seats easily due leg room issues so I must plan ahead in order to gain a seat of relative comfort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Having practically my entire life on trains and is posting while on a train I can answer this one.

Most people are naturally indecisive, they lack the forethought to look through the windows to see what seats are free.

Now I have a particular issue that I can't sit in the normal seats easily due leg room issues so I must plan ahead in order to gain a seat of relative comfort.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you really tall? :eek:
I think this should turn into a 'why do people take so long...' Thread.

Here's a couple of mine:

Why do people take so long at cash machines?

Why do women take so long in the toilet?

God I hate it when slow people at cash machines look like they've finished fiddling with the screen and receipts they don't need and are only there anyway to fool them that the bank cares and then, oh no, they aren't quite done and they turn back again looking pensive and stick their card back in that slot. :angry:

#urbandwellerangerproblems
Ngl the central line has to be the worst.

The train just stops at Leytonstone or leyton for ages for no apparent reason like WTF are you doing. But it's so annoying because it connects all the main places. I lived in Woodford when I was working in London before Christmas and literally :rip: every morning to Liverpool Street. Apart from one morning when I fell in love with a guy opposite. Pretty sure he fell in love too. But I didn't have the balls to tell him. And now we will never know :moon:

Could have sent it to Rush Hour Crush :ahee:
I think it stops at Leyton and Leytonstone, so that people who are going on the Epping branch, or the Hainault via Newbury Park, can have the time to get off if need be? :dontknow:

And in response to your previous post...
A lanyard seems like a sensible idea though? It also minimises the chance of the Oyster being dropped and lost..
Alas, I am not able to use such new-fangled technology. Mainly because my iPhone is (was :frown: ) too old, and I have my Zip card, so I have a discounted rate :u:
(Well until September)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZuluK
My face is permanently like :colonhash: whenever I talk to you Nympho... And I know how bitchy you are -_-

Zulu mate I could find so many quotes from all over TSR when you have been absolutely brutally mean to me. :h:

And you still call me Nympho and you know it triggers me :hand:

Get carded m8. :u:
Having practically spent my entire life on trains and is posting while on a train I can answer this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On a lot of intercity trains it's to do with them not knowing where their reserved seat number is. A system of ushers with little torches (like in upmarket cinemas and theatres) is the obvious solution.
Are you really tall? :eek:

6' 4. Public transport is built for "normal" sized people, or hobbits as I know them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
God I hate it when slow people at cash machines look like they've finished fiddling with the screen and receipts they don't need and are only there anyway to fool them that the bank cares and then, oh no, they aren't quite done and they turn back again looking pensive and stick their card back in that slot. :angry:

#urbandwellerangerproblems

I KNOW!

This is the process at a cash machine if anyone isn't sure.

1. Put Card in
2. Enter Pin
3. Select amount (which you have already decided)
4. Take Card
5. Take Money.
6. GET OUT OF MY WAY IT'S MY TURN
I KNOW!

1. Put Card in
2. Enter Pin
4. Take Card
5. Take Money.

Sometimes people take so long it's as if they are opening a mortgage or something.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Having used the London Underground, almost weekly for the last 12 years, can confirm this happens. But really during rush hour, people tend to well rush onto the train, dawdling is rare. And luckily, at my home station, people are sensible and care more about the actual seat rather than sitting next to someone.
I usually stick by the doors, or at those weird seat things at either end of the carriage, as it gives you some personal space...
:erm:
But we shall see this July! I'll be using the tube daily at rush hour like a big boy :ahee:

The Central Line is horrible because it always has delays! Every morning, when I listen to the travel update, they always say there are delas on the central line, for reasons I don't know. However, the Metropolitan Line is pretty horrible. If you see the people on the train at Wembley Park towards Baker Street/Aldgate, they all look so uncomfortable and squashed. Luckily I don't have to get that train every morning. The train I take may need some standing, but not squashing :lol:

On Wednesday, I was trying to get on the platform and there was this lady who was walking in front of me like a turtle on her phone - and I missed my train. I was late enough as it was! Funny enough, she was in front of me AGAIN when I got off to interchange. By no surprise, I missed my train again, which was a semi fast service. :getmecoat:
This thread is exactly why I never want to live in London again :rofl:

The escalator thing drives me nuts. It's so dangerous!

I'm getting stressed out just reading this :lol:
6' 4. Public transport is built for "normal" sized people, or hobbits as I know them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow you're like a foot taller than me :afraid:

I should be nicer to you :mmm:

We could have sparred last night... you were looking for it and I was being facetious. But everyone came in and broke us up. :rip:

I liked it though. :ahee:
I KNOW!

1. Put Card in
2. Enter Pin
4. Take Card
5. Take Money.

When people don't know how much money to put in depending on Zone charges, take to slow to put the money in the machine so the transaction is CANCELLED and they have to do it all over again. Whenever I'm running late is when I always face things like this :angry: A lady did it twice once, and I had to put in cash - so only one machine was available. I tapped on her shoulder and said 'Look, I'm in a rush and have been waiting for you to finish here. So could I please top up my oyster card first as I really am in a rush'. She gave me a dirty ass look as if I was taking forever :confused:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This thread is exactly why I never want to live in London again :rofl:

The escalator thing drives me nuts. It's so dangerous!

I'm getting stressed out just reading this :lol:

This thread is making me question my life decision to move to London tbh.

I should stay in Edinburgh, where I walk to work every morning through a beautiful city with no stress and no problems.

Just me and my music for 20 minutes. It's a blissful commute. :flutter:

And when it rains I can actually afford a taxi.

:rip: wellbeing when I'm back in London
Reply 38
Zulu mate I could find so many quotes from all over TSR when you have been absolutely brutally mean to me. :h:

And you still call me Nympho and you know it triggers me :hand:

Get carded m8. :u:

Nympho, mate, you have equally be really harsh towards me and even though your replies are wack, it's still deemed as bullying I'll get carded and then I'll bring out the race card and get you carded :wink: yeah bitch :biggrin:

Oh and it only triggers you because you know that deep down you are a nymph.

I KNOW!

1. Put Card in
2. Enter Pin
4. Take Card
5. Take Money.

Stay on topic... And stop derailing. :colonhash:
wow you're like a foot taller than me :afraid:

I should be nicer to you :mmm:

We could have sparred last night... you were looking for it and I was being facetious. But everyone came in and broke us up. :rip:

I liked it though. :ahee:

That foot taller makes me practically disabled on public transport.

I don't need you to be nice, I want you to be genuine.

I would have rekt you. Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest