The Student Room Group

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I think you will find that what I have said isn't racist at all.

Maybe not racist but incredibly cynical.

May I ask why the cynicism?
Original post by StrawbAri
Maybe not racist but incredibly cynical.

May I ask why the cynicism?

Of course you can.

It's because I've seen way too many of these types of things which have then later turned out to be fabrications. And each time that has happened, my faith in peoples' honesty in these situations has decreased. Now I cannot bring myself to believe these people, which is sad.
Lol if they tried it here in Nigeria they'd regret the day they were born. :rofl:

lmfao:laugh:
Original post by DiddyDec
Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all honesty while this should not happen (if someone did do this)
it really is not that distressing, If you say OH WELL YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THAT POSITION. yes I have . I am in a minority of about 200 people even less in the world and while I was young I had enough abuse hurled at me especially in high school, but do you know what I realized in about year 4. Who cares, not me I really couldnt care less, it doesn't hurt me why should it.and then I began making jokes of it and it does not bother me at all. Just get over it
Would you rather the gap ad shitstorm or the Rhodes statue shitstorn? This is a genuine case of racism and though I think the petition and blaming Warwick uni was a bit much but shaming the culprit and letting people know that this kind of **** happens is important.

Fair enough, when you compare it to those two irrelevant non-issues.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Thanks, although I'm not so sure about that :holmes:
All of 'em? :erm:

Bit racist

How is that in any way racist?! Loooooooooooooool
Honestly can't say I'm too surprised that this happened. This is the kind of thing that should kick up a shitstorm and not all those irrelevant non issues.

Racism needs to end.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/06/warwick-university-investigates-racist-slurs-scrawled-on-student/

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/warwick-racist-graffiti-scrawled-on-banana-investigation_uk_5703d1c8e4b0884065f154ca?edition=uk

On the second banana it's the N word

Except this is a non issue, it's somebody looking for attention so kicks up a fuss about nothing because they've been brought up in a little bubble world. Another case of "I weep for the future"

Posted from TSR Mobile
So so funny.
Original post by AperfectBalance
In all honesty while this should not happen (if someone did do this)
it really is not that distressing, If you say OH WELL YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THAT POSITION. yes I have . I am in a minority of about 200 people even less in the world and while I was young I had enough abuse hurled at me especially in high school, but do you know what I realized in about year 4. Who cares, not me I really couldnt care less, it doesn't hurt me why should it.and then I began making jokes of it and it does not bother me at all. Just get over it

Anecdotal fallacy, this isn't a valid argument for you to say 'just get over it'
Original post by Youngmetro
For the sake of humanity, please dont reproduce

No planning to. But the people agree with me, she is massively overreacting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No planning to. But the people agree with me, she is massively overreacting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank goodness for that.

Yeah well done, a few people on TSR agree with you, there's probably people who don't but cannot be bothered to get into an argument.
Original post by JohnGreek
A quick digression:

"I'm highly disappointed that it took a Twitter escalation in order for you to respond" - implying that she didn't just upload the pictures to Twitter straight away

Don't let facts get in the way of faux outrage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Except this is a non issue, it's somebody looking for attention so kicks up a fuss about nothing because they've been brought up in a little bubble world. Another case of "I weep for the future"

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about?

Anyone attempting to brush this off is an utter tool.

It's a genuine, hateful act. Such things can leave young POCS scarred for a long time.

You might think it's a joke but it's probably because as presumably a white male, you have no idea what it is like to be discriminated against. Similarly, anyone trying to say she did it, is taking the absolute piss.

No one in their right mind would fabricate this, especially given things like handwriting are very easy to check.

Wake up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Newcastle456
What are you talking about?

Anyone attempting to brush this off is an utter tool.

It's a genuine, hateful act. Such things can leave young POCS scarred for a long time.

You might think it's a joke but it's probably because as presumably a white male, you have no idea what it is like to be discriminated against. Similarly, anyone trying to say she did it, is taking the absolute piss.

No one in their right mind would fabricate this, especially given things like handwriting are very easy to check.

Wake up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying that white males cannot in any way be discriminated against or have nasty things said to them? And if somebody saying something nasty about you leaves you scarred for a long time you need your bubble popping and your head looking at.

It's also not difficult to change handwriting to fabricate something
Reply 54
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are you saying that white males cannot in any way be discriminated against or have nasty things said to them? And if somebody saying something nasty about you leaves you scarred for a long time you need your bubble popping and your head looking at.

It's also not difficult to change handwriting to fabricate something

Are you saying you wouldn't be even a little upset if someone left a loaf of hovis white bread with all kinds of white racial slurs in your fridge? :holmes:
Oray ‎@oray_coleMinority students face micro-aggressions daily. It takes someone writing on a banana for us to finally be taken seriously#WeStandWithFara6:13 PM - 5 Apr 2016

tf is this? her black sisters wait to be taken seriously? lmao
Are you saying you wouldn't be even a little upset if someone left a loaf of hovis white bread with all kinds of white racial slurs in your fridge? :holmes:

A little upset, possibly.

Incredibly distressing ordeal? No.

But who the **** keeps bread in the fridge? And if you were going to write white racial slurs on anything it would be a packet of crackers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
A little upset, possibly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could've sworn you were way too edgy to be offended by anything :holmes:

Not even being sarcastic
Could've sworn you were way too edgy to be offended by anything :holmes:

Not even being sarcastic

I would upset that;

1. They put my bread in the fridge
2. Didn't just say it to my face

Although I would assume it was a friend pissing about, like when someone drew a huge cock on my door. Or when my flat mates moved the entire contents of my room, bed and all into my ensuit... While I was at a funeral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instead of trying to belittle her experience , offer some sympathy or at least a meaningful response. I swear some people have no humanity , complete ****tards. What i dont get is how people like diddy can try and do the aforementioned when they can't possibly understand the implications of racism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending