The Student Room Group

Don't have a national insurance number

I'm 16 and ~7 months old and haven't received a national insurance number yet, but I can't work out what I'm meant to do. I went to gov.uk and phoned the helpline, but it was just a 'robot' which told me to either submit a form if I've ever had child benefits before (which I haven't) or organise an interview with the job centre by following another phone number (but you need to be 20+ to do that).

Obviously neither option applies to me, but I don't know what else I can do. I've looked at various different websites and all of them just say to phone the helpline. Has anyone had a similar experience/knows what to do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CrazyRoyal
I'm 16 and ~7 months old and haven't received a national insurance number yet, but I can't work out what I'm meant to do. I went to gov.uk and phoned the helpline, but it was just a 'robot' which told me to either submit a form if I've ever had child benefits before (which I haven't) or organise an interview with the job centre by following another phone number (but you need to be 20+ to do that).

Obviously neither option applies to me, but I don't know what else I can do. I've looked at various different websites and all of them just say to phone the helpline. Has anyone had a similar experience/knows what to do?

Try this form https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/NICs_iForms/1.0/CA5403&template=CA5403.xdp
Reply 2

It says not to complete the form if you "have never had a National Insurance number before". Doesn't that apply to me?
On here it says phone the helpline. Those 'robot' ones usually put you through to a person if you can figure out the right set of buttons to press, so maybe try it again until you hit upon the right combination?
Reply 4
Original post by Persipan
On here it says phone the helpline. Those 'robot' ones usually put you through to a person if you can figure out the right set of buttons to press, so maybe try it again until you hit upon the right combination?

Okay, I'll try that on Monday (it's helpfully closed until then, lol). It says to try and phone after 1pm as it's quieter so perhaps that could be why I couldn't get through to a human before that.
Best thing to do is go down to the nearest job centre and tell them you've forgotten your NI Number. Don't say you've never received one, as they'll assume you've just arrived in the country and put you through the phone system. Make sure to bring your passport and a utility bill such as water, electricity, etc. that's been issued within the past 3 months.
You'll have to wait a bit, as there's usually a fair amount of people in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending