The Student Room Group

The 5:2 diet - does it actually work?

Hi guys,

Basically I'm in desperate need of losing weight. I've put on quite a lot since starting an office job a year and a half ago. I thought when starting uni I would've lost some with all the walking but I've put on a bit more.

I look and feel horrible and I feel unhappy a lot of the time. I hate going on nights out and have lost my confidence with talking to girls. And of course, it's just an unhealthy weight and not good considering heart disease is in my family.

I'm 18 years old, almost 19 and about 17 stone (approx) which is obese I would say. Food has always been the problem as I can access it so easily with vending machines so close at work and having more money and a car since working to buy rubbish from local supermarkets on the way home. I always say I'll go to the gym when I finish work early as my first year at uni has finished but exams are approaching so I need to study and so never go. I have no motivation but I do want to change but it's hard.

I've recently heard of this 5:2 diet which sounds interesting. A colleague of mine has started it and has recommended it. Have any of you tried it? Basically you 'fast' (eat 600 calories during the day for males, 500 for females) for 2 days during the week and eat as normal (within reason) the other 5 days. Apparently it's been quite successful. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to get motivated and some tips on small changes at a time I can make? Recommendations on foods - especially snacks I can eat if I'm hungry sitting at my desk?

Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

Ive been doing the 5:2 diet for about a year and i would honestly say it works well. To me it doesn't even feel like dieting its just become part of my routine, its also good for somebody new to dieting as it isn't too difficult to stick too.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by jessicabeth
Hey!

Ive been doing the 5:2 diet for about a year and i would honestly say it works well. To me it doesn't even feel like dieting its just become part of my routine, its also good for somebody new to dieting as it isn't too difficult to stick too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Have you noticed a difference in your weight? If so, how much if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by Y2J97
Hi guys,

Basically I'm in desperate need of losing weight. I've put on quite a lot since starting an office job a year and a half ago. I thought when starting uni I would've lost some with all the walking but I've put on a bit more.

I look and feel horrible and I feel unhappy a lot of the time. I hate going on nights out and have lost my confidence with talking to girls. And of course, it's just an unhealthy weight and not good considering heart disease is in my family.

I'm 18 years old, almost 19 and about 17 stone (approx) which is obese I would say. Food has always been the problem as I can access it so easily with vending machines so close at work and having more money and a car since working to buy rubbish from local supermarkets on the way home. I always say I'll go to the gym when I finish work early as my first year at uni has finished but exams are approaching so I need to study and so never go. I have no motivation but I do want to change but it's hard.

I've recently heard of this 5:2 diet which sounds interesting. A colleague of mine has started it and has recommended it. Have any of you tried it? Basically you 'fast' (eat 600 calories during the day for males, 500 for females) for 2 days during the week and eat as normal (within reason) the other 5 days. Apparently it's been quite successful. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to get motivated and some tips on small changes at a time I can make? Recommendations on foods - especially snacks I can eat if I'm hungry sitting at my desk?

Thanks a lot!

Honestly, I don't recommend the 5:2 diet. Considering you'll want to lose a decent amount of weight, its not going to be something which you will easily be able to sustain.

I would however recommend that you try the 16:8 version of intermittent fasting, also known as the Leangains protocol.

The term 'going on a diet' implies that in time, you will no longer be eating in the same way that you were when you were on the diet. If this is the case, you will not be able to keep the weight off. You should opt for a change in lifestyle rather than a diet or quick fix.

Google intermittent fasting 16:8 and read my article on it. It should be the first result or after the forum post.
Original post by .JC.
Honestly, I don't recommend the 5:2 diet. Considering you'll want to lose a decent amount of weight, its not going to be something which you will easily be able to sustain.

I would however recommend that you try the 16:8 version of intermittent fasting, also known as the Leangains protocol.

The term 'going on a diet' implies that in time, you will no longer be eating in the same way that you were when you were on the diet. If this is the case, you will not be able to keep the weight off. You should opt for a change in lifestyle rather than a diet or quick fix.

Google intermittent fasting 16:8 and read my article on it. It should be the first result or after the forum post.

5:2 is very sustainable for a lot of people and is of course another form of intermittent fasting. It's just not eating much on a couple of days a week, which becomes routine after a while and you're still eating normally for 5 days a week which means you're not gonna struggle with a complete change to your daily life. 16:8 is of course another very viable dieting strategy as are most recommended IF protocols and, at the end of it all, you just have to assess which one you think fits in with your lifestyle better and give it a try.
It works for some people and not for others, theres nothing magical about it. Eating less on a few days creates your deficit for the week. You just have to pick the diet that suits you at the level of calorie reduction you need. I would recommend you change what you eat as well as incorporating regular consistent exercise and resistance training. You really do need to accurately restruct in low calorie days and not go mad on the normal days.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
5:2 is very sustainable for a lot of people and is of course another form of intermittent fasting. It's just not eating much on a couple of days a week, which becomes routine after a while and you're still eating normally for 5 days a week which means you're not gonna struggle with a complete change to your daily life. 16:8 is of course another very viable dieting strategy as are most recommended IF protocols and, at the end of it all, you just have to assess which one you think fits in with your lifestyle better and give it a try.

Indeed, but my initial point was that the 5:2 diet is a bit drastic as a first step for someone looking to lose a considerable amount of weight. In my experience, its not going to be as sustainable as say the 16:8 protocol. Eating so little calories for 2 days per week is tough if you're new to it all.

I'd recommend eating 500 calories under maintenance and following the 16:8 protocol of intermittent fasting. If you stick to it, the results will be amazing and its something which you can implement long term.
Original post by .JC.
Indeed, but my initial point was that the 5:2 diet is a bit drastic as a first step for someone looking to lose a considerable amount of weight. In my experience, its not going to be as sustainable as say the 16:8 protocol. Eating so little calories for 2 days per week is tough if you're new to it all.

I'd recommend eating 500 calories under maintenance and following the 16:8 protocol of intermittent fasting. If you stick to it, the results will be amazing and its something which you can implement long term.

Sure, those initial fast days are going to be the toughest, but once you've gotten used to them they just become habitual and thus very sustainable over the long term, which is what was being dicussed originally. With 16:8 a lot of general lifestyle changes are needed which for the beginner isn't something thar's easily taken to. With 5:2, though, you just fast a couple of days a week and don't change much else, it couldn't be simpler. For this reason, 5:2 became a bit of a fad and still remains popular because it's probably the easiest diet to stick to for the average person.
Personally just a normal diet, tracking your calories eating 500 less than your total daily energy expenditure is easy peasy. I've done 16:8 and 18:6 protocols of IF and tbh, I just got so hungry I was very prone to binging when my window opened.

5:2 - try it, if you like it - good. Don't worry if you loathe it with a passion - try the IF protocols or just try tracking your calories using myfitness pal. Also if you do a manual job ffs don't do it, I know a farmer who did it during peak time of year, his wife very nearly divorced him as he was so grumpy duing his 600 calorie days :lol:
Original post by Y2J97
x

You didn't say how tall you were?

Original post by WoodyMKC
x

Original post by Angry cucumber
Personally just a normal diet, tracking your calories eating 500 less than your total daily energy expenditure is easy peasy.

^ I think that is the best advice possible as its much more sustainable in the long run and easy to conform to without the hassle of swapping x amount of calories on each day.

Adherence and sustainability = key to weight loss.
Reply 10
Personally just a normal diet, tracking your calories eating 500 less than your total daily energy expenditure is easy peasy. I've done 16:8 and 18:6 protocols of IF and tbh, I just got so hungry I was very prone to binging when my window opened.

5:2 - try it, if you like it - good. Don't worry if you loathe it with a passion - try the IF protocols or just try tracking your calories using myfitness pal. Also if you do a manual job ffs don't do it, I know a farmer who did it during peak time of year, his wife very nearly divorced him as he was so grumpy duing his 600 calorie days :lol:

I make sure I break my fast with a large meal that leaves me satiated and contains sufficient macronutrients with regards to my daily goals. I find drinking coffee/having a caffeine tablet in the morning during your fast really helps to give you energy and prevent you feeling hungry until it's time to eat.

I find I'm really productive when fasting, and I almost dread when it comes around to eating because I know I'll slump after that so I try and get as much work done in the morning as possible.
Original post by .JC.
I make sure I break my fast with a large meal that leaves me satiated and contains sufficient macronutrients with regards to my daily goals. I find drinking coffee/having a caffeine tablet in the morning during your fast really helps to give you energy and prevent you feeling hungry until it's time to eat.

I find I'm really productive when fasting, and I almost dread when it comes around to eating because I know I'll slump after that so I try and get as much work done in the morning as possible.

I did all of that, but I've got a big appetite (as in have done competitive eating level) and it wasn't for me. Just using MFP worked far better for me tbh.
Original post by Y2J97
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!

don't ever eat nuts, they have lots of fat and stuff o.o

I did all of that, but I've got a big appetite (as in have done competitive eating level) and it wasn't for me. Just using MFP worked far better for me tbh.

all those children in africa :/
Reply 13

Fair enough. I'd say I have a large appetite too although it's been somewhat blunted recently since I think I've actually stopped physically growing. A year or so ago when I was 16/17 my appetite was huge.

MFP coupled with 16:8 works well for me. If anything, the fact that I have a smaller window to consume calories in helps me to stay on track with my targets. If I eat breakfast, I have to have a lot and it makes me hungry all morning. I find it restricting later in the day as I will have already consumed a large chunk in the morning.
Anything that creates a moderate weekly calorie deficit will 'work' for weight loss, this 5:2 thing is no different.

Once you start getting a bit leaner, you're going to want to include some compound weightlifting or else you'll lose more and more muscle and get that skinny-fat look.

I can kind of vouch for the IF approach above. Once you get used to it, it's great for satiety.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by thefatone

I wouldn't say don't ever eat them. They're healthy in moderation and we need fat in our diets. They contain healthy fats so are perfectly fine to eat if you incorporate them into your diet and ensure you don't go overboard. If you already have a hard time staying under your targets for fat then I'd try and avoid them, but just because they have fat in they don't become untouchable.
Original post by .JC.
I wouldn't say don't ever eat them. They're healthy in moderation and we need fat in our diets. They contain healthy fats so are perfectly fine to eat if you incorporate them into your diet and ensure you don't go overboard. If you already have a hard time staying under your targets for fat then I'd try and avoid them, but just because they have fat in they don't become untouchable.

well ya know i think sometimes it's better to not have them there due to the temptation. because people will be like yea i just ate 1 then i can back for more now i'm obese and can't move...
Original post by thefatone

all those children in africa :/

Nuts are very healthy. Portion control is king

I'm sure me doing an eating challenge didn't murder people in Africa

Original post by .JC.
Fair enough. I'd say I have a large appetite too although it's been somewhat blunted recently since I think I've actually stopped physically growing. A year or so ago when I was 16/17 my appetite was huge.

MFP coupled with 16:8 works well for me. If anything, the fact that I have a smaller window to consume calories in helps me to stay on track with my targets. If I eat breakfast, I have to have a lot and it makes me hungry all morning. I find it restricting later in the day as I will have already consumed a large chunk in the morning.

Yeah, it obviously worked for you with that avatar :lol: Whatever works for you, is a good way to go with dieting tbh. It's all the same principle though, of calories in vs calories out :smile:
Just seems like a marketing ploy if you ask me like a lot of these diet plans and things you can buy, the main thing you need to remember is calories = weight, the more calories in your food the more weight you'll put on, best thing to do is change your meals, find out where and when your eating the most and just cut down as soon youll get more and then the inevitable stroke/heart attack will happen God Forbid, also try walking more, or if you cant be bothered going gym, buy some home weights or something. Good luck
A lot of people I know are doing the 5:2, mostly because my mum goes out of her way to tell everyone about how successful it is for her. You will struggle to snack on it, 600 calories isn't very much but cups of tea through the day can help keep you going. You can buy like 1 calorie pasta / noodles (its not the best, but its not awful) which means you can have what looks like a normal portion of food for very little calories. People tend to take different approaches to it, my mum will have 3 small meals where my dad will have 1 larger meal. Experiment a bit and find out what works, I'd recommend downloading myfitness pal so that you can see how many calories you're consuming and the type of things you'd be able to eat on a fast day.

Quick Reply

Latest