The Student Room Group

URGENT: I've ****ed up my GCSEs

Everyone is onto past papers now... like what the actual ****?! I have done barely any notes or anything!

Help me out on this one?

Thanks
If you're behind I would recommend doing past papers,too. Do the papers and mark them properly, not changing answers and be strict on yourself. Look at the topics you have lost the most marks on and then do revision notes for them and re-do the questions. stay motivated :smile:
Easter definitely isn't too late to start revising! I'm doing A2 now and got told that Easter is when you should start, and it's way harder than GCSEs. I started making GCSE notes at Easter and doing proper hardcore revision (past papers etc) about a month before exams started, and I still got great grades (nothing below B). You'll be fine! Just make sure you recap all the **** you did last year first.
Don't bother with the notes - I gave up on them.
Move straight onto past papers and see what you're sh*t at, revise that :smile:
Im not doing notes for a lot of my subjects, chill
Reply 5
Original post by surina16
Don't bother with the notes - I gave up on them.
Move straight onto past papers and see what you're sh*t at, revise that :smile:

i cant even revise normally

i can only do past papers

also OP i've done 0 notes dw man
Reply 6
What if i cant answer most of the questions in the science paper? Do i memorize the mark scheme then?
Reply 7
Original post by zanner
i cant even revise normally

i can only do past papers

also OP i've done 0 notes dw man

Best way to use past papers then?
Past papers are the best kind of revision , do as many as you can !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jamie Vardy
anyone? i was doing notes but i literally have too much to do. But i tried a science paper and i cant complete it so have you guys got any suggestions in using a past paper effectively?
Original post by waleed29
What if i cant answer most of the questions in the science paper? Do i memorize the mark scheme then?

dont do tht srs man

i did that for maths once, nd i got even worse than expected
i got so bad that in tht one calculator paper i got the worst out of the whole class..

ive learnt my lesson truss don do tht ur making a huge mistake
Original post by waleed29
anyone? i was doing notes but i literally have too much to do. But i tried a science paper and i cant complete it so have you guys got any suggestions in using a past paper effectively?

If you can't complete it because you don't know how to, look at the mark scheme and see what it wants you to say. After doing past papers you get a good idea of what you should write to get the marks. Where you lost marks on a paper, you should revise that then do another paper (of the same unit).
Everyone is onto past papers now... like what the actual ****?! I have done barely any notes or anything!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK!

Help me out on this one?

Thanks

I haven't started my A Level revision yet. You've got time xxx
Original post by ElspethC
Easter definitely isn't too late to start revising! I'm doing A2 now and got told that Easter is when you should start, and it's way harder than GCSEs. I started making GCSE notes at Easter and doing proper hardcore revision (past papers etc) about a month before exams started, and I still got great grades (nothing below B). You'll be fine! Just make sure you recap all the **** you did last year first.

But..its basically the end of easter...
Reply 14

Depends how you learn. Past papers definitely help
I feel like a lot of people misuse past papers. Its good to do some, so that you pick up the style of the questions and any definition type questions, but doing lots of past papers is not a substitute for knowing the content properly. I personally would prioritise my knowledge and understanding first and worry about papers later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
You don't need to make notes.Use other sources like youtube videos, get revision notes already written from other websites e.g https://getrevising.co.uk/ or just go straight on to past papers :smile:
Original post by samb1234
I feel like a lot of people miss use past papers. Its good to do some, so that you pick up the style of the questions and any definition type questions, but doing lots of past papers is not a substitute for knowing the content properly. I personally would prioritise my knowledge and understanding first and worry about papers later.

Agreed, past papers are useful to perfect exam technique but in terms of the actual content nothing beats flashcards, mindmaps and notes etc
Who cares GCSEs mean pretty much nothing. Knuckle down in your a levels
Original post by samb1234
I feel like a lot of people misuse past papers. Its good to do some, so that you pick up the style of the questions and any definition type questions, but doing lots of past papers is not a substitute for knowing the content properly. I personally would prioritise my knowledge and understanding first and worry about papers later.

It's true. I misused past papers as I thought I could get away from learning from them.
Did one P1 paper, got a C. Did another one,i got a B but just scraped it.

Tried this with B1. Did a b1 paper, also got a C. Revised from a revision guide. Then got an a* in the next paper.

EDIT: OP, don't listen to everyone and dont worry if you haven't started past papers yet. I haven't started yet but just because others have, doesn't mean that there won't be a point where I will start. And still get the same amount of workload done but with more pressure. True it will be harder, but not impossible. I've heard people revise only weeks before and come out with A*s!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest