The Student Room Group

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrawbAri
Are you saying you wouldn't be even a little upset if someone left a loaf of hovis white bread with all kinds of white racial slurs in your fridge? :holmes:

No, because I'm not a special little snowflake that has been protected from the world for the last 21 years.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are you saying that white males cannot in any way be discriminated against or have nasty things said to them? And if somebody saying something nasty about you leaves you scarred for a long time you need your bubble popping and your head looking at.

It's also not difficult to change handwriting to fabricate something

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to imitate or change handwriting? Especially pulling off perfectly synchronised writing on a banana? To have the presence of mind to go through all of this for attention, alright then.

You're better than that, at least show some thought before you post garbage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tcameron
Well whoever did it has no one to blame but themselves - maybe next time they'll learn that racism isn't a joking matterHopefully other's will learn as well

It is absurd that low level racism is treated as a unique evil, qualitatively worse than other forms of abuse and bullying which are not based on a racial slur.

To use the example cited in an earlier post. Suppose in a squabble between housemates of the same race one of the protagonists took a dump in the fruit bowl and placed a steamy brown turd into another's bunch of bananas?

Is it everyone's view that writing racial abuse is the worse behaviour of those two examples?

If so, why?
Original post by Newcastle456
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to imitate or change handwriting? Especially pulling off perfectly synchronised writing on a banana? To have the presence of mind to go through all of this for attention, alright then.

You're better than that, at least show some thought before you post garbage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why, I thought the jobs of universities were to educate and open minds and prepare people for the world, not mollycoddle and close them making them less ready for the world.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Instead of trying to belittle her experience , offer some sympathy or at least a meaningful response. I swear some people have no humanity , complete ****tards. What i dont get is how people like diddy can try and do the aforementioned when they can't possibly understand the implications of racism.

No humanity? It's pretty ironic that you're calling people who don't respect this woman's plight non-human when the young lady at the centre of this story was called the same thing. #hypocrite #sortitout #giveheadwobble
This thread is disgusting.

It's filled with victim blamers: 'from her photo she looks like a bitch' 'I bet she did it herself' 'she's over-reacting' 'I'm not a special snowflake' - implying she's acting like one. It's filled with people trying to play it down and act like because it seems like a minor thing, it has no greater significance. Saying they won't say their piece until 'there's more evidence' as if what is produced as of yet isn't valid.

Let me break it down for you people who can't understand how this micro-aggression is indeed distressing and very unsettling.

This girl opens the fridge in her home for the next few months at least to find her stuff has been tampered with and had slurs written about her race on her stuff. This means her flatmates had no problem sending her the message that they don't like her because of her race, that they are willing to **** with her stuff, which means they have no problem ****ing with her - which puts her in immediate danger. Moreover, they didn't have the balls to put their name alongside it. Which means she has no clue who has put a target on her back. She has to go about her day in the flat they share, not knowing who to trust, who will look out for her if anything escalates, who sees her as a monkey or a n*****. That is ****ed up, it is distressing and it is not minor. That is racism and intimidation at its finest. Small acts never have small significance.

If you want to justify this so it fits with your view of the UK, go ahead, but it isn't this black girl who's living in a 'bubble' - it's you.
Oh dear that 'joker' is ****ed now...
Reading through this thread has been incredibly depressing. To call this racial attack a 'non-issue' is extremely demeaning and hurtful. White people certainly do not have the right to say she is overreacting - if you have never experienced discrimination and oppression then you have no idea how frightening something like this can be. This woman has the right to feel safe in her own accommodation; not to feel on edge at the fact someone is malevolently targeting based solely on her race.
Original post by chopinfan
Reading through this thread has been incredibly depressing. To call this racial attack a 'non-issue' is extremely demeaning and hurtful. White people certainly do not have the right to say she is overreacting - if you have never experienced discrimination and oppression then you have no idea how frightening something like this can be. This woman has the right to feel safe in her own accommodation; not to feel on edge at the fact someone is malevolently targeting based solely on her race.

Again with the white people cannot be discriminated against bullcrap
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
This thread is disgusting.

It's filled with victim blamers: 'from her photo she looks like a bitch' 'I bet she did it herself' 'she's over-reacting' 'I'm not a special snowflake' - implying she's acting like one. It's filled with people trying to play it down and act like because it seems like a minor thing, it has no greater significance. Saying they won't say their piece until 'there's more evidence' as if what is produced as of yet isn't valid.

Let me break it down for you people who can't understand how this micro-aggression is indeed distressing and very unsettling.

This girl opens the fridge in her home for the next few months at least to find her stuff has been tampered with and had slurs written about her race on her stuff. This means her flatmates had no problem sending her the message that they don't like her because of her race, that they are willing to **** with her stuff, which means they have no problem ****ing with her - which puts her in immediate danger. Moreover, they didn't have the balls to put their name alongside it. Which means she has no clue who has put a target on her back. She has to go about her day in the flat they share, not knowing who to trust, who will look out for her if anything escalates, who sees her as a monkey or a n*****. That is ****ed up, it is distressing and it is not minor. That is racism and intimidation at its finest. Small acts never have small significance.

If you want to justify this so it fits with your view of the UK, go ahead, but it isn't this black girl who's living in a 'bubble' - it's you.

Agree 100%. I knew they existed but I am absolutely shocked to see the number of victim blamers in this thread. They need to educate themselves before throwing out hurtful comments from their privileged selves.

That is the only part you quoted because you know none of the rest of it is up for debate and that your previous comments where incorrect.

Perhaps not every white person has never experienced oppression or discrimination but you clearly lack the sympathy for this girls situation, implying you have not had to experience anything close to this.
Why, I thought the jobs of universities were to educate and open minds and prepare people for the world, not mollycoddle and close them making them less ready for the world.

Lol. God bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is the only part you quoted because you know none of the rest of it is up for debate and that your previous comments where incorrect.

Perhaps not every white person has never experienced oppression or discrimination but you clearly lack the sympathy for this girls situation, implying you have not had to experience anything close to this.

Sentence 1-subjective
Sentence 2- subjective
second half of sentence 3-assumes this is not the case for any person who they disagree with
Before the semi-colon subjective, although most would agree true
final section-assumptions.
Original post by Newcastle456
Lol. God bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what are universities for then?

Oh dear. Of course white people can be discriminated against in a number of ways - through their sexual orientation, their class, their religion, their gender, etc. But you cannot seriously believe that racism against white people is a problem? Racism is mainly based on a system of power and oppression. White people have the main institutional power, therefore they are not oppressed.

Edit: Never mind. Looking at your profile it is clear you are beyond saving. "British Empire Society" and "Donald Trump Fan Club" - that is actually scary hahaha
(edited 7 years ago)
I have read a lot of terrible posts on here.

No, she is not overreacting and Yes, there needs to be a solution to root out this sort of behaviour.

Warwick is one of the top universities in the UK. Some of their students go on to top and powerful positions in society. It will be a shame for someone with a racist mentality to take a position of public responsibility.

People should stop these black versus white debates. Yes, whites can be racially abused, Asians can be abused and blacks can be abused. Just because you can "handle" racist abuse against you does not mean that others should brush it off. When someone, black or white, gets racially abused. They should speak up and something should be done. We should have advanced past this ridiculous issues by now.

The saddest bit about this discussion is the amount of borderline or outright racist language that is used by mostly young students (there may be predators around posing as students!).
micro-aggression

Troll confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh dear. Of course white people can be discriminated against in a number of ways - through their sexual orientation, their class, their religion, their gender, etc. But you cannot seriously believe that racism against white people is a problem? Racism is mainly based on a system of power and oppression. White people have the main institutional power, therefore they are not oppressed.

Edit: Never mind. Looking at your profile it is clear you are beyond saving. "British Empire Society" and "Donald Trump Fan Club" - that is actually scary hahaha

So why is racism a significantly worse form of discrimination than any other, given apparently it is if it has to be put on its own tier of discrimination?
White people certainly do not have the right

So white people lack the right to have an opinion simply because of the colour of their skin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Troll confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you use troll to mean someone who disagrees with your world view, how cute.

I'm not a troll because I used a bit of jargon.

Quick Reply

Latest